xp_delete_file not working and cannot open logs

• After our network team applied windows updates to our sql server, the maintenance clean up task just hangs. I tried using xp_delete_file and that also hangs. Another issue that we are having is I cannot open the error or sql logs via mgt studio. I'm not worried about the logs, but I'm just wondering if anyone has had this issue before. Below are the details:

1. Window Server 2003 SP2

2. Sql server 2005 SP4

3. All sql services run under local system

• have you tried xp_cmdshell command, is it working ?

-------Bhuvnesh----------
    I work only to learn Sql Server...though my company pays me for getting their stuff done;-)

• It looks like problem with xpstar.dll

You can confirm it by opening current ERRORLOG in .. notepad (I recommend coping it somewhere locally and using notepad++). There should be error message.

I've spent A LOT of time on this and haven't found 'good' solution (google/bing xpstar.dll problem). It seems to be related to clustered environments. In my case 'failover and failback' do the trick. If it's not clustered instance - restart it. It's not good solution because problem can come back, and I've seen it. Try installing the latest SP.

Another symptom you didn't mention is problem with dbmail and sending mails with attachments (format function is inside xpstar.dll)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply