xp_sqlagent_proxy_account Access Denied Error

• SQL server 2000 SP4.  I have tried to add a proxy account to SQL Server to facilitate some execution of the xp_cmdshell by non sysadmins and when I try to add the proxy account on one particular server I recieve an error of Access Denied when executing xp_sqlagent_proxy_account.  The Service and agent are being run by a domain account which is a local admin on the server and a sysadmin in the database.  I have tried changing the account to other admin accounts both local and domain as well as Local system.  The next step I am planning is to reinstall SQL Server on this particular instance since nothing seems to correct the problem.  Anyone else ever had this issue?

• Hello Ram,

Are you accessing any shared folder with the xp_cmdshell command?

If so, please check up whether the proxy account which you are using has the necessary permissions to read/write to the shared folder.

Hope this might solve your problem.

Thanks and have a nice day!!!

Lucky

• It's not the xp_cmdshell that I am getting the error returned on.  It's when I try to add the proxy account using xp_sqlagent_proxy_account.

• Did you try to set it in Enterprise Manager? SQL Server Agent -> Properties -> Job System -> Non-SysAdmin job step: remove check mark and reset the proxy account

• I had the same problem (with SQL Server 2000.)

Symptom:

When logged in as 'sa'

EXEC master.dbo.xp_sqlagent_proxy_account N'GET'

Access is denied

Cause was that the account that SQL Server service was running under (SA_SQL) did not have sufficient permissions. It was in Administrators but that was not enough.

Solution as per http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/instsql/in_overview_6k1f.asp)

Added to Group Policy (Security Settings/Local Policies/User Rights Assignment) settings for the account granting permission to

-Increase Quotas

-Replace a process level token

-Log on as a batch Job

(Log on as a Service was already granted)

Then restarted SQL Server.

For all I know, it was not really necessary to add all three, perhaps only one or two were needed. But this worked.

Credit for this solution should go to

Vikrant V Dalwale [MSFT] who posted it in microsoft.public.sqlserver.server on Wed, Dec 17 2003 9:16 pm

-JRD

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply