xp_test_mapi_profile locks up

• I have SQL Server 2000 and have been using exchange server with SQL Mail up till today. With the whole daylight saving time issue we decided to switch to a Pop3/IMap server and get rid of our old exchange server.

I went into the Mail control panel on our SQL server and created a new pop3 (Internet E-Mail) profile, then removed the Exchange Server profile. I opened Outlook and was able to send and receive a test message.

When I try to run xp_test_mapi_profile nothing happens, the SP just runs and runs.

I tried xp_sendmail to test sending a message (both before I made the change and after) and it worked fine before, but now it won't send.

Any thoughts?

• never done this, I either use mapi or smtp mail ( talking sql 2000 here - 2005 is different )  xp_sendmail only works with mapi as far as I know, you have to roll your own mail procs to use smtp.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

•  

You are half-way there. If you have created a MAPI profile with pop/smtp, then you will be able to use with xp_sendmail. Did you reboot afterwards? Probably not, using pop/smtp you will find that the MAPI32.exe process with get "hung" sometimes, as long as your net work is stable then it should not get hung too often. If you can't afford to reboot your machine, just kill the MAPI32.exe process and retry your email. If that does not work then you may actually need to restart the SQL service.

• Thank you to both of you, I have created my own smtp proc, but I will try Ron's suggestion when I get a chance, taking the primary web database down will be problematic, I'll see if I can create an outage this weekend.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply