xpsmtp80.dll PROBLEMS

• I'm not sure where to post this message, but this DLL just stopped working on one server. It is used to send email via SMTP on a SQL Server.

We're running Win2000 AS and SQL2000 SP3a. Has anyone seen this before? Any help whould be appreciated.

We are receiving the following error in relation to XPSMTP.

Msg 0, Sev 16: Cannot load the DLL xpsmtp80.dll, or one of the DLLs it

references. Reason: 1114(A dynamic link library (DLL) initialization routine

failed.). [SQLSTATE 42000]

Msg 50000, Sev 16: mail sent [SQLSTATE 01000]

• I'm also seeing this issue on a SQL Server 2000 server that we applied SP4 to. I'm not sure if that is the cause or just coincidence. Does anyone have a resolution?

Thanks,

Greg

• This is a critical problem for us. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. We are not sure if this is a windows problem or SQL problem. Also, we get the same error message with sp_OACreate.

--Cut from Sql logs

--Using 'odsole70.dll' version '2000.80.760' to execute extended stored procedure 'sp_OACreate'.

The source now points to ODSOLE70.dll, which is loaded on SQL startup.

I cannot use the sp_OACreate for any type of object.

DECLARE @object int

DECLARE @hr int

DECLARE @src varchar(255), @desc varchar(255)

EXEC @hr = sp_OACreate 'SQLDMO.SQLServer', @object OUT

IF @hr <> 0

BEGIN

EXEC sp_OAGetErrorInfo @object, @src OUT, @desc OUT

SELECT hr=convert(varbinary(4),@hr), Source=@src, Description=@desc

RETURN

END

--returns the following:

0x8007045A

ODSOLE Extended Procedure

A dynamic link library (DLL) initialization routine failed.

• Try to re-register it. If that doesn't work, remove the .dll (or rename it) and replace it with a copy from a working server, then re-register it.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• This isn't a registerable DLL. But I've tried replacing it with no luck. It's doesn't seem to be this DLL specifically anyway. There's an underlying process that isn't working the same since upgrading to SP4. What is very odd is that the original poster is having the same issue and is only on SP3a. Luckily, this server only has one job that depends on this DLL. I was able to recreate the job from a different server that is working. I'm still going to try to resolve the issue and will post any findings.

• We have tried all of the above with no luck. I agree there is an underlying process that has moved or is being locked. One change that I did not mention is that prior to the problem, the server guys installed several windows security patches. After that, things stopped working. We are going to try an emergency reboot to see if this clears the problem. Unfortunately, this is a 24/7 server and removing required patches is not an option.

• At this point, I would call Microsoft and see if they can clear up the problem for you.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• I'm seeing this error in SQL Server 2005 - 9.00.3161.00 (X64), as well, when attempting to create an FSO object. I haven't opened a ticket with MS yet. I'm going to try a reboot first. 😉

~ Ron

• Has anyone come to a resolution for this issue. I am currently having it as well.

• Bill,

Have you tried the other possible resolutions on this thread already?

If so, search TechNet (Microsoft's web site). If the ticket was called in and resolved, there might be a KB article on technet about it.

• I am having the same issue, but I have a few other oddities. I am using the extended procedure xp_smtp_mail from a server with two instances of SQL Server 2000 SP4. Both instances are at the same patch level. One is working correctly. The other instance gets the error related to an error loading the DLL. I have made sure the each bin has a copy of the dlls. I was just trying to get this set up so I am hoping to figure this out quickly. Any suggestions would be great. I have alreayd tried unregistring the DLL and reregistering it. No luck. So sad!

• Delete or rename the .dll on the server where it's not working. Then add a copy from the server that is working and re-register it. It could be that the copy on the one server is corrupted which means no amount of re-registering will work unless it's replaced.

• Did you ever resolve this issue? If so, what was the resolution?

Thanks,

• Any resolution on this issue? We just started seeing it.

• Did you try the solution I posted above?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply