Yet another MSDE connection problem (version 8.00.2039)

• I've spent two days reviewing postings about MSDE (2000, sp4) connection problems, and cannot resolve remote connections issues to two new MSDE instances that were installed, one with BIZTALK (for SharePoint) and one with ISA.

I've done everything I know to do to be able to remotely access both instances, but still get "access denied or server does not exist" error.  One instance is listening on port 1433, and one is listening on port 1434 (along with a SQL Server 2005 instance that listens on port 1433).  I can connect to both instances locally - no problem there.  However, there is no way to connect remotely.

Any help at all is greatly appreciated.

• I don't have a whole lot of info on this, but hopefully this will point you in the right direction.  I vaguely remember when I was playing with SQL Server 05 there was a utility that helped you configure the server so that it would play nicely with SQL 2000 and 2k5 on the same server.  You might want to have a look at that and make sure everything is happy.

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Hi Luke,

Thanks for your reply.  The issue with SQL2000 and SQL2005 on the same box only applies to one situation.  The other situation deals only with SQL2000 MSDE.  I know how to configure a separate port for MSDE, and know that on the box with both versions, two different ports are being explicitly used - not dynamic port assignment.

Neal

• Ahh gotcha, It seemed from your post that all of this was occurring on the same machine.  Not 2 separate ones...

I'm guessing you've already gone through the configuration, making sure that you have TCP/IP turned on with the network config util and whatnot.  Also since these are both databases related to other products, have you checked the SQL server security making sure that whomever you are connecting as actually has permissions to connect to that instance?

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Luke,

First of all, sorry that my original post was unclear about the instances. 

Your guess is right - I've gone through all the stuff necessary to expose the MSDE instances remotely, and I have administrative rights on the local computers as well as SYSADMIN rights in both instances.  I have yet another MSDE instance on another computer to which I can connect without any problems at all - very, very frustrating!

Thanks for your replies - I am going to move on to other things.  The way I am taking care of this for now is loading SQL2K client tools on the machines where I cannot connect, and will administer these machines locally when the need occurs.  Not my preferred solution, but there are too many other things going on!

Neal

• Hi Neal I have also faced similar problem with MSDE 2000 on Windows XP. You can try the following if your OS is Windows XP

• For testing purpose Turn OFF Windows Firewall where the MSDE installed and try to connect MSDE from remote machine.
    • If above trick works you can add exception on TCP & UDP port for 1433 & 1434 and then turn on the Windows Firewall

Try it.. I get solution

Best of luck ........

• Thanks for the suggestion.  Most of the MSDE and SQLExpress instances reside on Windows Server 2003.  In one case, an MSDE version resides on Windows XP but the firewall is turned off (secured by the domain). 

I found that for the one standard edition of SQL Server 2005 that I couldn't connect to that the MSDTC had been turned off.  I turned it back on and all was well.  However, I still cannot connect to the SQLExpress instance on the same computer.

• Okay - found part of the problem.

Something went through our network and disabled MSDTC on machine where MSDE and SQLExpress reside.  I re-enabled MSDTC on Windows XP and Windows 2003 Server, and all is well for default MSDE instances and all SQLExpress instances.

HOWEVER!  I still cannot connect to MSDE named instances!  If anyone has any information about this issue, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks,

Neal

• I have installed two mssql 2000 MSDE sp4 instances on WinXP SP2.

I can connect both instances from local machine.

But when I try from remote PC, I can only connect to one with default instance name and can't connect to another one ComputerName\InstanceName.

I set the windows firewall off in WinXPSP2. But still can't connect.

I also try with mssql2000 MSDE sp3 instances. It is same ask sp4.

Please help!!!!!!

• Not sure if you already did this, but please check the MSDE errorlog to see if the instance is listning on TCP/IP.

• I've already done this - both named pipes and tcp/ip, and a static port of 1434 on the tcp/ip side.

Are you able to remotely connect to named instances of MSDE?

• I found that SQL 2000 and SQL 2005 Express are installed together in the database server. When I stop SQL 2005 Express instance from SQL service manager, I can connect to the name instance of SQL 2000. I don't know how can I connect sql2000 instance without stopping sql2005 server.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply