Anyone knows "developer" version of sql 2005 ?

• Hi everyone,

My sql 2005 validation of "evaluation" version is about to expire.

We already have a sql server 2000 and what i need is a personal sql server to develop ssis, to update, querry, delete and create tables on the existing 2000 server we have. Is the "developer" version good enough ?

Thanks !

• Developer Edition is good enough, all right. As a matter of fact - it's the same (functionally) as Enterprise Edition, so it might actually be considered by some to be "too much". If you're not planning on building solutions to go onto Enterprise Edition, you will need to make sure you don't leverage features not available in whatever edition your production platform will be.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Thanks a lot.

I think i'll "go for it".

• Plus the cost of the Developer Edition is well worth the investment ($49 per developer).

As Matt also indicated, if you will not be deploying to Enterprise Edition, be sure to watch what features you use in development.

😎

• Heh... use ALL the features! Force Upgrades! Make your friends jealous! Keep up with the Jones'! 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff, Only problem with that, what if they don't have the budget for Enterprise Edition? That puppy can get expensive at street prices, and most discounts that private industry can get doesn't cut the price that much. Former co-worker at my previous employer (big company, over $500 million revenue annually) could get SQL Server 2005 Enterprise Edition at approximately $18,000 per processor; street price, $24,999.

😎

• Thanks

• Lynn Pettis (3/11/2008)

Jeff, Only problem with that, what if they don't have the budget for Enterprise Edition? That puppy can get expensive at street prices, and most discounts that private industry can get doesn't cut the price that much. Former co-worker at my previous employer (big company, over $500 million revenue annually) could get SQL Server 2005 Enterprise Edition at approximately $18,000 per processor; street price, $24,999.

😎

It was a joke...

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• We may know it, but some newbies may not...:w00t:

Heck, would you like to know what we paid? I'll PM you if you do.

• I could give you the price we (when I was there) got as a not-for-profit, academic healthcare org as part of a multi-year Software Assurance contract, but that would just make you cry....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• I know, I told the person who told me what our former employer paid, and he was SURPRISED!

• Thanks Matt

• You're very welcome!

• Ok, I'll add a bit more serious post.

Watch the licensing.

The developer edition is very nice, and inexpensive, and full-featured, and really only supports the one developer having access to the database.

No, there is nothing in the software preventing more than one connection to the database, but it is illegal to buy a developer license, install it on your web server, and deploy an application using it.

• Developer Edition is as good as enterprise, i use that in my complany, only draw back is that you cant use snapshot in 2005

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply