Apologies to Ken Henderson

• Props to you Steve for doing the right thing.

• Thanks for the comments and I appreciate the thanks. I hope to see Ken soon and give an apology in person as well.

I don't think India should be singled out. In Asia, there has been a systemic issue with piracy, but I think most of that is economic. And after all, the US is the place where lots of the pirated works originate. We steal from each other in plenty of situations. Troll Slashdot one day on a Microsoft article, like the "no updates for pirates" one this week. You'll see plenty of US citizens thinking it's perfectly acceptable for them to pirate MS stuff.

Copyright is a different beast and I'd hope that as coders we respect others. We all borrow code from each other, but credit should still be given. There are still stored procedures at JDEdwards/Peoplesoft/Oracle that I compiled, with my name and comments, that give credit to the original author. Even my own shrink the log here is commented and credited to someone else. The same should exist with any posters.

• "These things happen.  Good show on the keen eye."1

I disagree about the world being any smaller. "The only thing the internet (techonology) has done is make events taking place in other parts of the world seem close enough to let you see but not effect change."2

Some cultures breaking copyright is mandated by government policy, such as China.  

It took them out of the stone age. 

Fair use has led me to a connumdrum, art can photographed and used without explict permission in many cases, while text, in contrast can not?  Should all text then be cataloged and OCRed by an organisation such as the Library of Congress.  Then any data to be posted to any site parsed into the database before allowed to put live or automaticly referenced, as related to or possibly googlized.

My two cents.3

1My reference is everyone in this forum thread and possibly elsewhere.

2Paraphrased from James Burke, "The Day the Universe Changed" or Possibly "Connections" I forget.

3Anon.

• Ignorance is no excuse...

Though, I am now motivated to run out and buy Ken's book.

• "The Guru's Guide to Transact-SQL", published by Addison-Wesley, available just about every where tech books are sold.

Heck, I thought everybody had a copy by now =o)

In case you don't, here's a link to Bookpool.com and all of Ken's books, including box sets:

http://www.bookpool.com/ss?qs=%22ken+henderson%22

Warm Wishes! (Rats!  Now I'm plagiarising the plagiarist!)

• Ken's book must be good. It rates at 4½ stars from 221 reviews on Amazon!

Hey, let's give Ken a well-deserved plug here: Amazon has it for 36% off and free shipping:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0201615762/qid=1122477651/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-9836874-2800100?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

-PD

• I can only assume that Mr. Thaker's motivation was to gain respect by publishing useful and well thought out articles.  I'm sure he did gain some, at least for a little while. 

I doubt he has much now.

When I see an article by someone named Kalpesh Thaker, I, like many others, will likely ask myself, "Who really wrote this?"  I sense the general impression for most here is that any future articles submitted by him, here or elsewhere, are going to be disregarded.  Certainly not the kind of reputation I would want to have.

Best regards to Mr. Henderson.  I will indeed check out his book on Amazon.

• Thanks for being open and upfront and not sweeping it under the rug. Much appreciated.

• darn - the free shipping must be recent - I just got my boxed set from Amazon 5 days back...missed the boat as usual (pun intended)

but at least I got them at the discounted price!

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**

• Hopefully at least this coverage will prompt more people to buy and read Ken's book.  I consider it to be the most valuable book on my desk at work.  It has helped me provide many clever and elegant solutions.  And it's just plain fun reading for any SQL geek!

[font="Courier New"]ZenDada[/font]

• As far as free shipping at Amazon, I got that months ago after reading an article review of Ken's newest book on sqlservercentral.  At the same time, I ordered the plagerized book in question.  When I ordered, free shipping was at the cost of 5 days shipping.  Which turned out to be nothing compared to the wait for the new book.  I got the guru's guide to SQL Server about a month before I got his new book.  No harm, I'm still trying to get through his first book.

• Steve, you really should check out those plagurist sites someone else mentioned.  Plagurism is a huge problem in school.  They have web tools that allow you to submit an article written by a student and it will highlight the matches against published works.  I saw this on TV more than a year ago.  It was amazing, some of the students sent in 500 word essays that had about 25 words that weren't a straight copy of someone else's work.  This tool had a massive library of published works and still was able to easily find specific matches fairly quickly.  (Wonder if they have SQL Server working for them?)

• ...Hmmm. Went to "spaces", and noticed that Mr. Thacker proudly uploaded 169 pix from his visit to...Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum(!)  Irony, anyone?

PS. Buy Ken's book. You won't be sorry.

• Way to handle things, Steve; right out in the open. Wise beyond your years. Credit should be given where credit is due, and Ken's the man. That book in particular has got me out of some tight corners. Didn't the fact that the article was well written tip you off?

As to the IP issues, and all the posts, I just have one thing to say (or a million). What a bunch of gossiping old ladies we programmers are.

cl

Oh yeah; and wanna bet he sells some books as a result of this violation?

Signature is NULL

• Steve, the correct and swift response. I don't think you could have done anything more.

While we're here, I might as well add that I'm also a fan of kens work. His XML & Stored procedures book has to be the most ragged (due to use) I own.

all the best.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply