Are the posted questions getting worse?

• CirquedeSQLeil (4/30/2010)

Lynn Pettis (4/30/2010)

Should I be scared? Nearly half of those who have answered the QotD have gotten it wrong. Could be people not fully reading the question, but still, this should be basic knowledge for a DBA.

I don't think so. Barry and Hugo both showed some questions they wrote that people got very low success rates.

Should it be scary that so many people are missing a basic question? I think so. Should we teach them how to use RedGate SQL Compare to do the backups?

It sounds like Hugo missed it also. I know I mis-read it... 🙁

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Lynn Pettis (4/30/2010)

Should I be scared? Nearly half of those who have answered the QotD have gotten it wrong. Could be people not fully reading the question, but still, this should be basic knowledge for a DBA.

It's yet another piece of data for moving into consulting, that's all.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• jcrawf02 (4/30/2010)

Right, obviously not SQL Compare. We should use Access.

You are so behind the times... Haven't you heard, Powerpivot in Excel is the new mechanism for database storage & retrieval. It'll be perfect for backups.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

It's a good question. Made people think, some of whom went too fast. Good for them to learn that this stuff needs to be thought through for Disaster Recovery.

I'll admit that I missed it and this is an area where I'm a seasoned veteran. I read it too quickly, what I thought I read was that the differential was from after the corrupt backup. Even reading it wrong and quickly I also had another thought that there might be a trick to your question like a lot of the QOD have. I've been kicking myself for not reading it 2 times before I answered it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Use Full Links:
    KB Article from Microsoft on how to ask a question on a Forum

• Steve,

What is this new content of plagiarism? Where can it be found?

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• I can understand some people misreading the question or going to fast, but for close to 50% to get it wrong, just seems a bit wrong. Late last night it was more 63% correct/37% incorrect. I didn't expect it to go the way it has today.

I can understand some people misreading the question or going to fast, but for close to 50% to get it wrong, just seems a bit wrong. Late last night it was more 63% correct/37% incorrect. I didn't expect it to go the way it has today.

Don't sweat it. Tomorrow, all the people who cheat and use the previous day's answer will completely skew the results the other way.

• Grant Fritchey (4/30/2010)

Lynn Pettis (4/30/2010)

I can understand some people misreading the question or going to fast, but for close to 50% to get it wrong, just seems a bit wrong. Late last night it was more 63% correct/37% incorrect. I didn't expect it to go the way it has today.

Don't sweat it. Tomorrow, all the people who cheat and use the previous day's answer will completely skew the results the other way.

That's why I'm looking at it closely today. May be a bit more accurate. Of course I am getting a few complaints about the wording of some of it. It doesn't seem to be a literacy problem, more of a comprehension problem. Some of those complaining seem to be taking some of it out of context, latest is the word being complained about.

Grant Fritchey (4/30/2010)

Lynn Pettis (4/30/2010)

That's why I'm looking at it closely today. May be a bit more accurate. Of course I am getting a few complaints about the wording of some of it. It doesn't seem to be a literacy problem, more of a comprehension problem. Some of those complaining seem to be taking some of it out of context, latest is the word being complained about.

I thought it was pretty clear, but then I got it right. Maybe if I got it wrong I'd be protesting. I don't think so though because it's really straight forward and not like the three or four questions where I've been offended about tricky or goofy questions.

I'm thinking this is a difficult question because it is hard to run as a query beforehand and pretend you knew it all along 😀

This actually tests your knowledge (yes I got it wrong...grrr...)

Gaby

• GabyYYZ (4/30/2010)

Lynn Pettis (4/30/2010)

I'm thinking this is a difficult question because it is hard to run as a query beforehand and pretend you knew it all along 😀

This actually tests your knowledge (yes I got it wrong...grrr...)

I think that is a good key here - no script to run so it is harder to determine the correct answer.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Two bottles of beer on the wall, two bottles of beeeeeerrrr,

take one down, pass it around, two bottles of beer on the wall

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• One bottle of beer on the wall, one bottle of beeeeeerrrr,

take one down, pass it around, one bottle of beer on the wall

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• :-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D

:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D

Viewing 15 posts - 14,986 through 15,000 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply