Are the posted questions getting worse?

• CirquedeSQLeil (4/30/2010)

WayneS (4/30/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (4/30/2010)

Odd question just occurred to me.

Has anybody here ever tried setting their sa account password to contain emoticons? Or any sql logon password for that matter.

sa password = :-D;-):w00t::cool::hehe::-):-D:doze::crying::(:-P:-):-D:-P

I think the only emoticon I'd want to actually use at work would be 🙁

But a password full of these would be interesting. With the occasional ROFL, LOL or SOM!

Those would be great to include in a password.

The use of ascii characters (symbols) would also be good.

The logical next step would be to use optical recognition software connected to a web cam in order to log in.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

WayneS (4/30/2010)

Has anybody here ever tried setting their sa account password to contain emoticons? Or any sql logon password for that matter.

I think the only emoticon I'd want to actually use at work would be 🙁

But a password full of these would be interesting. With the occasional ROFL, LOL or SOM!

Those would be great to include in a password.

The use of ascii characters (symbols) would also be good.

:-):-D:-P;-):w00t:v)T:hehe: - Yep, those would be virtually impossible to crack!

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Lynn Pettis (4/29/2010)

By the way, did you see the latest post?

Yes, I've seen it but decided not to answer since I assumed that "bye" actually implied he's leaving 😀

So far it looks like I was right since there is not a single post after the one mentioned above.

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• CirquedeSQLeil (4/29/2010)

You guys have more patience than I. That series would have torqued me off pretty good.

I guess you might get a chance on another thread you're participating currently... 😉

Lutz

Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

To remember the pwd I'd probably use the pattern my mind changes during a standard meeting with our SubmittAndPray folks:

:-):discuss::ermm::laugh::discuss::ermm::unsure::angry::discuss::crazy::crying::discuss::Whistling:

Lutz

• lmu92 (4/30/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (4/29/2010)

You guys have more patience than I. That series would have torqued me off pretty good.

I guess you might get a chance on another thread you're participating currently... 😉

Yeah - I think so.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• 23 more posts 😛

Learn Extended Events

• Should I be scared? Nearly half of those who have answered the QotD have gotten it wrong. Could be people not fully reading the question, but still, this should be basic knowledge for a DBA.

• Lynn Pettis (4/30/2010)

Should I be scared? Nearly half of those who have answered the QotD have gotten it wrong. Could be people not fully reading the question, but still, this should be basic knowledge for a DBA.

I don't think so. Barry and Hugo both showed some questions they wrote that people got very low success rates.

Should it be scary that so many people are missing a basic question? I think so. Should we teach them how to use RedGate SQL Compare to do the backups?

Learn Extended Events

Lynn Pettis (4/30/2010)

Should I be scared? Nearly half of those who have answered the QotD have gotten it wrong. Could be people not fully reading the question, but still, this should be basic knowledge for a DBA.

I don't think so. Barry and Hugo both showed some questions they wrote that people got very low success rates.

Should it be scary that so many people are missing a basic question? I think so. Should we teach them how to use RedGate SQL Compare to do the backups?[/quote]

For what? There is nothing wrong with native backups (pre-2008 did lack compression). If they don't get the concept, it doesn't matter which tools they use to get their data back in-sync.

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• tosscrosby (4/30/2010)

Lynn Pettis (4/30/2010)

Should it be scary that so many people are missing a basic question? I think so. Should we teach them how to use RedGate SQL Compare to do the backups?

For what? There is nothing wrong with native backups (pre-2008 did lack compression). If they don't get the concept, it doesn't matter which tools they use to get their data back in-sync.

Note the application I suggested. 😀

Learn Extended Events

tosscrosby (4/30/2010)

Lynn Pettis (4/30/2010)

I caught it, but then I better have considering our little PM converstion last night. 😛

• Lynn Pettis (4/30/2010)

tosscrosby (4/30/2010)

Lynn Pettis (4/30/2010)

I caught it, but then I better have considering our little PM converstion last night. 😛

Good point. I expected you to catch it.

For others, I was discussing with Lynn my struggles with teaching a junior that SQL Compare is not a backup solution. It took a week of frustration to teach that point.

Learn Extended Events

• Right, obviously not SQL Compare. We should use Access.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• jcrawf02 (4/30/2010)

Right, obviously not SQL Compare. We should use Access.

SOM

Learn Extended Events

Viewing 15 posts - 14,971 through 14,985 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply