Are the posted questions getting worse?

• CirquedeSQLeil (5/13/2010)

GilaMonster (5/13/2010)

BrainDonor (5/13/2010)

Normally when driving along, if there's been a nasty accident I just drive past (as long as I can't do anything to help) - I don't 'rubberneck' and slow down to stare.

But sometime, just sometimes, I just have to watch.

I think it's just turned into a multi-car pileup with a couple explosions.

I find it interesting to rubberneck in this scenario too πŸ˜‰

I suspect watching from a distance is the safest approach. In true Star Wars fashion, I have a bad feeling about that situation.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Of course if you want something closer, Mauritius would be a great place to go!!

Little expensive though, and flights around the time of the WC are more expensive than usual and pretty much booked out.

Return flights to Mauritius next week: R2000

Return flights to Mauritius last week June/1st week July: R6000

I'm considering a B&B in a small town near the foot of the berg. Problem is that it'll be cold there in June/July.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• GilaMonster (5/13/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (5/13/2010)

Of course if you want something closer, Mauritius would be a great place to go!!

Return flights to Mauritius next week: R2000

Return flights to Mauritius last week June/1st week July: R6000

*cough*

They want to make sure everybody stays close.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Gianluca Sartori (5/13/2010)

I think Celko does nothing to be pleasant, but Peter's reply is terrific.

That is not uncommon. He carries his soapbox everywhere he goes.

That he does. But if you can look past his pure-ANSI sql thing, he does a great job of explaining how to do lots of things. There's a lot of knowledge to be gleened from him if you can look past his soapbox.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• WayneS (5/13/2010)

That he does. But if you can look past his pure-ANSI sql thing, he does a great job of explaining how to do lots of things. There's a lot of knowledge to be gleened from him if you can look past his soapbox.

[sarcasm] Why woud HE be an ANSI purist... [/sacasm]

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Use Full Links:
    KB Article from Microsoft on how to ask a question on a Forum

• Trey Staker (5/13/2010)

WayneS (5/13/2010)

[sarcasm] Why woud HE be an ANSI purist... [/sacasm]

If everybody coded in pure ANSI, then he would lose a lot of business. Double-edged sword.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• WayneS (5/12/2010)

Does anyone know of a FireFox (3.6.3) Add-on that provides a toolbar for supporting enhanced text fields (where you can directly format the text in a field) , such as what you would see in a SharePoint site (specifically in the discussion area)? This is built-in with IE6+, but I'd prefer to use FF.

For anyone interested, IETab 2[/url] will allow you to open the sharepoint site in an IE rendered window, which has this functionality. Not the best solution, but probably about the only one.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• GabyYYZ (5/13/2010)

To all South Africans on the forum here, are you guys excited about next month or is everyone holding their breath?

Not really excited yet, but we'll get there. Roadworks still going on in Cape Town as they are in Johannesburg as Gail pointed out. But heh, at least the infrastructure will have been dramatically improved. And we eventually got a decent stadium as well, about time. Not going to any of the games though, telly is much more comfortable, and the beers in the fridge are close and cold. Company is organising a tour around the stadium tomorrow morning (even paying for the tour), that's about all I will see from the inside of it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• There's a rumour circulating about a pole-dancing chipmunk

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Chris Morris-439714 (5/14/2010)

There's a rumour circulating about a pole-dancing chipmunk

That could explain Alvin's hiatus from the forum for a while. The dollars stuffed in his briefs/boxers/g-string must've been pretty good!! (and after that vision, I think I'll go lie down now!!!!)

-- You can't be late until you show up.

Thanks Gianluca. I particularly like how Paul handled this...

You would have loved my first draft reply πŸ˜‰

Celko is undoubtedly a reasonably bright individual, but his people skills are worse than mine :w00t:

• Paul White NZ (5/14/2010)

Thanks Gianluca. I particularly like how Paul handled this...

You would have loved my first draft reply πŸ˜‰

Celko is undoubtedly a reasonably bright individual, but his people skills are worse than mine :w00t:

Anybody with the initials JC is doomed to have uncompetitive people skills but this guy really takes the biscuit. The last few days he's been particularly bad and brings to mind the rather splendid Robin Williams line from "Good Morning Vietnam". Just don't ask me to volunteer.

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

Anybody with the initials JC is doomed to have uncompetitive people skills but this guy really takes the biscuit.

Apparently he's actually a very nice guy and the attitude is an act that he puts on when posting on forums/writing articles. I think I recall him saying that it was his way of making sure that people pay attention. Not something I agree with (more flies with honey idea), but it's not that he has no people skills, it's that he intentionally acts that way.

(for the record, I don't like him very much)

Gail Shaw

• JC is completely different in person, over a glass of wine than on the forums. I'm not sure why he acts that way, though he does appear to have mellowed slightly over the years.

Anybody with the initials JC is doomed to have uncompetitive people skills but this guy really takes the biscuit. The last few days he's been particularly bad and brings to mind the rather splendid Robin Williams line from "Good Morning Vietnam". Just don't ask me to volunteer.

Thank you Chris for the visuals there :unsure:

GilaMonster (5/14/2010)

Apparently he's actually a very nice guy and the attitude is an act that he puts on when posting on forums/writing articles. I think I recall him saying that it was his way of making sure that people pay attention.

Seems an odd way to go about winning people over.

Steve Jones (5/14/2010)

JC is completely different in person, over a glass of wine than on the forums. I'm not sure why he acts that way, though he does appear to have mellowed slightly over the years.

Thing is, I am unlikely to meet him in person at any stage, wine or no wine, so I can only really go by what he writes.

Viewing 15 posts - 15,286 through 15,300 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply