Are the posted questions getting worse?

• GilaMonster (5/14/2010)

Chris Morris-439714 (5/14/2010)

Anybody with the initials JC is doomed to have uncompetitive people skills but this guy really takes the biscuit.

Apparently he's actually a very nice guy and the attitude is an act that he puts on when posting on forums/writing articles. I think I recall him saying that it was his way of making sure that people pay attention. Not something I agree with (more flies with honey idea), but it's not that he has no people skills, it's that he intentionally acts that way.

(for the record, I don't like him very much)

It clearly works, but often in the wrong way. There are several regulars here including you, Gail, who are perfectly capable of putting the point across that any alternative to your suggestion is likely to result in disaster, without openly stating that the OP should "step back from the keyboard".

I don't think I'd like him either, way too Machiavellian.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Paul White NZ (5/14/2010)

Anybody with the initials JC is doomed to have uncompetitive people skills but this guy really takes the biscuit. The last few days he's been particularly bad and brings to mind the rather splendid Robin Williams line from "Good Morning Vietnam". Just don't ask me to volunteer.

Thank you Chris for the visuals there :unsure:

Anytime, Paul - I'm kinda relieved to see you providing evidence that you're not spending all of your time hunched over a keyboard!

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Paul White NZ (5/14/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (5/13/2010)

Thanks Gianluca. I particularly like how Paul handled this...

You would have loved my first draft reply 😉

Celko is undoubtedly a reasonably bright individual, but his people skills are worse than mine :w00t:

LOL

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Chris Morris-439714 (5/14/2010)

GilaMonster (5/14/2010)

Anybody with the initials JC is doomed to have uncompetitive people skills but this guy really takes the biscuit.

Apparently he's actually a very nice guy and the attitude is an act that he puts on when posting on forums/writing articles. I think I recall him saying that it was his way of making sure that people pay attention. Not something I agree with (more flies with honey idea), but it's not that he has no people skills, it's that he intentionally acts that way.

(for the record, I don't like him very much)

It clearly works, but often in the wrong way. There are several regulars here including you, Gail, who are perfectly capable of putting the point across that any alternative to your suggestion is likely to result in disaster, without openly stating that the OP should "step back from the keyboard".

I don't think I'd like him either, way too Machiavellian.

Wow, that was a pretty good example of what not to do.

Learn Extended Events

Anytime, Paul - I'm kinda relieved to see you providing evidence that you're not spending all of your time hunched over a keyboard!

It does happen!

Paul White NZ (5/14/2010)

Celko is undoubtedly a reasonably bright individual, but his people skills are worse than mine :w00t:

Anybody with the initials JC is doomed to have uncompetitive people skills but this guy really takes the biscuit. The last few days he's been particularly bad and brings to mind the rather splendid Robin Williams line from "Good Morning Vietnam". Just don't ask me to volunteer.

Hey!! 🙁

*edit - I'll throw in another 'Hey!! :(' for my buddy Jack too...

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• jcrawf02 (5/14/2010)

Hey!! 🙁

Humble apologies - gosh the beer budget is taking a hammering today. Is your middle initial 'H'?

• For those that have syndicated blogs here, how does one get their Avatar to display on the blog page? I have an avatar assigned that shows up in comments but not in the blog page.

Example:

Glenn has his displayed, but I do not.

Learn Extended Events

jcrawf02 (5/14/2010)

Hey!! 🙁

Humble apologies - gosh the beer budget is taking a hammering today. Is your middle initial 'H'?

Nope, no H 😉

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

Hey! I take offense at that! My initials are JC and I have GREAT people skills, you idiot! 😉

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• jcrawf02 (5/14/2010)

Hey!! 🙁

*edit - I'll throw in another 'Hey!! :(' for my buddy Jack too...

Thanks for the Hey!. I read this AFTER I put my own in. I had to react immediately to such an offensive statement 😀

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Jack Corbett (5/14/2010)

Hey! I take offense at that! My initials are JC and I have GREAT people skills, you idiot! 😉

Et tu, Brute 🙁

Heh - my clumsy gaffe is perpetuating Paul's hilarious putdown 😎

[font="Arial"]Low-hanging fruit picker and defender of the moggies[/font]

For better assistance in answering your questions, please read this[/url].

Understanding and using APPLY, (I)[/url] and (II)[/url] Paul White[/url]

Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins[/url] / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url] Jeff Moden[/url]

• it's ok Chris, Jack can have my beer, I'm not a big fan anyway.

• Jack Corbett (5/14/2010)

ROFLOL

Learn Extended Events

• For those of you sick of working on real problems, feel like helping a JC (not a JHC) out?

Viewing 15 posts - 15,301 through 15,315 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply