Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Paul White NZ (5/29/2010)

Jeff Moden (5/29/2010)

I wonder what the interview process was and how full of hooie the resume was that allowed someone to have a job that required someone to do the following simple task and that person has no clue on how to do it.

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic930028-392-1.aspx

You know, it frightens me sometimes.

But it was urgent:cool:

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• This one's not much better...

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic929458-357-1.aspx

If you have a 2 TB database and don't know how to plan backup and restore strategies, there's a bigger problem there.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Paul White NZ (5/29/2010)

Jeff Moden (5/29/2010)

I wonder what the interview process was and how full of hooie the resume was that allowed someone to have a job that required someone to do the following simple task and that person has no clue on how to do it.

You know, it frightens me sometimes.

Heh... yeah... I kinda jumped down his throat and teetered on his wish-bone about that a bit, as well.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• GilaMonster (5/30/2010)

This one's not much better...

If you have a 2 TB database and don't know how to plan backup and restore strategies, there's a bigger problem there.

Heh... the bigger problem would certainly seem to be present there. Jeez... and people wonder why they need a real DBA (certified or not). It seems incredibly, ummm.... alright, I'll say it... freakin' stupid to put their enterprise in the hands of someone who can't even provide enough information for a decent question never mind actually use BOL or Google.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Ok, I give up. What's a clustering agent?

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic930164-146-1.aspx

Who's got the crystal ball?

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

Ok, I give up. What's a clustering agent?

Heh... I wish posters like that would learn the quintessential skill of how to use Google.

It would appear that the posted questions haven't only gotten worse. The people asking the questions have also gotten much lazier. That one sure does sound like an interview question for a data warehouse DBA.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (5/29/2010)

Interesting, just because it may be a simple task for us now doesn't mean it was when we first started.

😉

• Lynn Pettis (5/30/2010)

Jeff Moden (5/29/2010)

Interesting, just because it may be a simple task for us now doesn't mean it was when we first started.

😉

To be honest it wouldn't be a simple task for me now, I'd have to look it up and/or ask too. I've never used bulk insert in SQL Server preferring DTS/SSIS and I have avoided using most xp's as well. The SQL Server stack is so big that I know there are a lot of things I've missed and don't know. Of course this is also why I read SQL Server books, participate in forums, and attend user groups, SQLSaturdays, etc...

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

Actually from one point of view this is a smaller problem than the other. Working out a backup strategy for 2TB of data is non-trivial, so it's reasonable that a DBA without previous experience of VLDB work would need help. The other dba was really amazing - he could import the data from the files, but couldn't get the column derived from the file name because he hadn't got the intelligence to use a staging table, which strikes me as utterly trivial, something that anyone who knows the rudiments of SQL should see immediately. Yes, it is a problem if someone decides to hire a DBA with no experience of the data volumes involved and without the nous to use BoL or Google to look for a solution (or at least to look at what questions he should be asking the business side about down times, recovery times, permissable data loss risks, cost, and do on - I don't think either BoL or anything else on the web will do much more than point up the questions that should be asked and some of the options); but it can happen that the people doing the hiring were not DB people and didn't realise how big there DB would be. When I joined LinkGuard a decade ago my first action was to revise the database size and performance requirements estimate from something that would easily fit on a small desktop machine to a system requiring 42 very powerful servers and 40TB of data. I wasn't hired as a DBA, but suppose that instead of looking for a hairy-arsed engineer like me the company had decided to hire some young DBA who had never worked with more than 50GB of data and didn't have a clue how to deal with TBs of data simply because the CEO was adrift in his size estimate by nearly 3 decimal orders of magnitude? I don't think that would have been the fault of that young DBA - and maybe something like that happened in this case.

Tom

Ok, I give up. What's a clustering agent?

Sorry, no crystal ball here.

There are lots of things that are clustering agents (chemistry and biology both use the term, so does network routing, so does subscriber broadcasting) but I've only come across one use of the term in connection with databases (specifically OLTP using a massively parallel back end) which is where some sort of front end classifies queries and routes them to an appropriate backend component depending on the classification. It's nearly quarter of a century since I did anything with that stuff (and concluded that in a general purpose parallel DB you weren't going to be able to do better than cluster the data rather than the queries and route queries according to their estimated data access, which is one of the reasons I haven't looked at it since). It would surprise me very much though if that is what the OP wants to know about.

Tom

• Lynn Pettis (5/30/2010)

Jeff Moden (5/29/2010)

😉

Agreed but if you look at his original code, I wouldn't say that he's exactly a newbie. Unless he's an "Accidental DBA" (and I have a great amount of respect for folks that step up to the plate) this is the type of thing that all DBA's and SQL Developers should have knowledge to do. If they don't, then the interview process came up a wee bit short.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jack Corbett (5/30/2010)

To be honest it wouldn't be a simple task for me now, I'd have to look it up...

I guess that's part of my point, as well. Considering that the OP's code used xp_CmdShell to find the @Pattern for the file names, I'm sure that it would take you no time at all to figure out that you need to parse the file name and how to easily do that either by hook or by crook.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Tom.Thomson (5/31/2010)

GilaMonster (5/30/2010)

Actually from one point of view this is a smaller problem than the other. Working out a backup strategy for 2TB of data is non-trivial, so it's reasonable that a DBA without previous experience of VLDB work would need help.

True, but if you're managing a 2 TB database, I'd hope you have some idea where to start a backup/restore strategy, some idea of what goes into it and what info is needed.

Gail Shaw

• Tom.Thomson (5/31/2010)

GilaMonster (5/30/2010)

Actually from one point of view this is a smaller problem than the other. Working out a backup strategy for 2TB of data is non-trivial, so it's reasonable that a DBA without previous experience of VLDB work would need help. [...]. Yes, it is a problem if someone decides to hire a DBA with no experience of the data volumes involved [...]

I think that my situation is quite similar to the one you described, Tom.

I've been the "de facto" DBA for three years and now I'm officially the corporate DBA, but all the databases I used to manage were reasonably small (200 Gb at most).

Now I've been thrown into a BI project and I'm struggling every day to get my job done, especially for four reasons:

1) It's a Datawarehouse. I know very little about DWH and BI in general.

2) It's a 1TB database, 5 times larger than any database I've ever worked with.

3) It's Oracle. I know absolutely nothing about it. I'm studying, but it's like a parallel universe for me.

4) It's AIX. Every stupid system task turns into a nightmare. No bash shell, no downloadable useful packages (they would break support...).

Would you be surprised if I posted an incredibly silly question on the Oracle forums?

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Gianluca Sartori (6/1/2010)

Tom.Thomson (5/31/2010)

GilaMonster (5/30/2010)

Actually from one point of view this is a smaller problem than the other. Working out a backup strategy for 2TB of data is non-trivial, so it's reasonable that a DBA without previous experience of VLDB work would need help. [...]. Yes, it is a problem if someone decides to hire a DBA with no experience of the data volumes involved [...]

I think that my situation is quite similar to the one you described, Tom.

I've been the "de facto" DBA for three years and now I'm officially the corporate DBA, but all the databases I used to manage were reasonably small (200 Gb at most).

Now I've been thrown into a BI project and I'm struggling every day to get my job done, especially for four reasons:

1) It's a Datawarehouse. I know very little about DWH and BI in general.

2) It's a 1TB database, 5 times larger than any database I've ever worked with.

3) It's Oracle. I know absolutely nothing about it. I'm studying, but it's like a parallel universe for me.

4) It's AIX. Every stupid system task turns into a nightmare. No bash shell, no downloadable useful packages (they would break support...).

Would you be surprised if I posted an incredibly silly question on the Oracle forums?

Go for it, there are some individuals out there on SSC that also know Oracle. FYI, I'm not one of them.

Viewing 15 posts - 15,586 through 15,600 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply