Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Richard Gardner-291039 (6/10/2010)

Football doesn't need a new name, it has one, and has had since it was invented, giving it a new one because you've hijacked it for handegg (or "Rugby for girls", as I prefer to think about it) is about as silly as the Baseball (read: "Rounders") world series. I'm almost hoping the USA beat England on Saturday just so you'll start using proper words for things.

Don't hope that. Doesn't matter what the results are, we'll still call it Soccer. Not being mean, just the truth.

"Rugby for girls"? So you're one of the people that considers girls tougher than boys then? : -)

Of course, I like to think of Soccer as "A nice, long nap, possibly interrupted."

Of course, since Association Football, Rugby, American Football and others all originated from the same game, they've all got claim to the name.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Stefan Krzywicki (6/10/2010)

Richard Gardner-291039 (6/10/2010)

Football doesn't need a new name, it has one, and has had since it was invented, giving it a new one because you've hijacked it for handegg (or "Rugby for girls", as I prefer to think about it) is about as silly as the Baseball (read: "Rounders") world series. I'm almost hoping the USA beat England on Saturday just so you'll start using proper words for things.

Don't hope that. Doesn't matter what the results are, we'll still call it Soccer. Not being mean, just the truth.

"Rugby for girls"? So you're one of the people that considers girls tougher than boys then? : -)

Of course, I like to think of Soccer as "A nice, long nap, possibly interrupted."

Of course, since Association Football, Rugby, American Football and others all originated from the same game, they've all got claim to the name.

You know it's really kinda funny. America trounced England over 200 years ago (albeit with some help from France, Spain and others) and yet there's still so much antagonism. We won, you lost, get over it. We can call it whatever we want.

I don't mind soccer per se at times it can be rather entertaining, it's some of the rules I take issue with. <rant>Things like the way the game is timed. Seems to me you get to the end of the game, it stops, instead of letting the clock continue to run and tacking on extra time at the end. Seems somewhat counter intuitive. I'm sure Lynn will offer a perfectly reasonable explanation for it, but it just doesn't make sense to me. Yes, yes I know about the 1891 incident where someone kicked the ball away and it took them 90 minutes to find it and the game was over by that time. Why not just stop the clock during the game for injuries and whatever other reason time gets added to the end?

The other thing I just don't get and I think is one of the reasons why it hasn't been more popular on a professional level here in the states is that you can end in a 0-0 draw and it's considered a fantastic game. Then there's the home and home stuff where they average the scores. That really boggles the mind. Did you win or didn't you? Most Americans want to see an actual winner declared, and not have to wait months for 2 completely different teams (different personnel due to injuries etc) play to decide the winner. What's crazier is that if you have a 0-0 tie in one game and a 2-2 tie in the second, depending on where the game was played decides the winner? Why? they scored the same amount of goals, sure they did it on the road, but seriously, it's not something you would think that would affect the players that much. A pitch is a pitch. If you're a pro you don't even hear the crowd. Or maybe the crowd booing you just amps you up...

</rant>

But that's just my $.02.

Edit: fixed some typos.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• There's no antagonism, just call football football and gay rugby gay rubgy (or hand egg), that's not a lot to ask, I think, it is logically consistent after all. I don't see any antagonism there. Alright, I'll admit to a certain amount of suprise that you don't appear to have the attention span to enjoy a game with a scoreline of less than about 57-40, you really have to understand that the 0-0 draws just make the high scoring matches all the more enjoyable. Not that I particularly like football, but it is a lot more interesting than handegg.

Oh, and they do add extra time to the end of matches, it's called extra time.

There's no antagonism, just call football football and gay rugby gay rubgy (or hand egg), that's not a lot to ask, I think, it is logically consistent after all. I don't see any antagonism there. Alright, I'll admit to a certain amount of suprise that you don't appear to have the attention span to enjoy a game with a scoreline of less than about 57-40, you really have to understand that the 0-0 draws just make the high scoring matches all the more enjoyable. Not that I particularly like football, but it is a lot more interesting than handegg.

Ah yes, those high scoring matches in soccer of 2-1.

I love extra time in soccer, it is probably the best thing about it! 60 minutes goes by and if the team the ref likes is losing, they just let them keep playing until they've had a chance to catch up. Could you just declare the winner at the beginning? Sure! But then you'd miss that lovely nap.

Soccer is for hockey fans who think the skaters move too fast and who don't like the cold.

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

There's no antagonism, just call football football and gay rugby gay rubgy (or hand egg), that's not a lot to ask, I think, it is logically consistent after all. I don't see any antagonism there. Alright, I'll admit to a certain amount of suprise that you don't appear to have the attention span to enjoy a game with a scoreline of less than about 57-40, you really have to understand that the 0-0 draws just make the high scoring matches all the more enjoyable. Not that I particularly like football, but it is a lot more interesting than handegg.

I enjoy hockey quite a bit, I get the whole 0-1 game is great for the reasons you state, goalies making saves standing on their heads and other such things. Defensive battles can be a lot of fun to watch in a variety of sports. I'm asserting that the whole ending in a tie bit is one of the reasons why soccer is not as popular here as it is in many other parts of the world.

And yes I'm aware that they add extra time. I'm aware of why it's done (the whole 1891 bit), I stated this in my previous reply. What I don't understand is why add extra time when you can just stop the clock like every other timed sport does.

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

I don't think that will happen. The NFL is too large in the US. I don't think a World Cup win would even excite more than a fraction of sports fans.

• What was funny is that my son pointed out that most football games are really 2-1 (10-7) or 4-2 (21-14). Not a ton of scoring, but the values just make it seem like more is happening.

However, having played rugby, soccer, and a little football, don't let those pads fool you. Football is a tremendously tough game, right there with rugby.

Soccer has lots of strategy, I understand that, but it has relatively little action, IMHO. Too often the ball is moved back and forth, passes taken, long kicks without any threat of a score. On football, rugby, baseball, basketball, there is a real threat of a score on any play.

• A World Cup win by the US would, in my opinion, be an embarrassment to the rest of the teams. Not to say that the US can't put out a team worthy of winning the World Cup, but with soccer not being the big national sport in the US that it is in other countries, one would think the other countries would put out better teams as so much of the country is behind the sport.

But, I don't follow sports much, so I have no idea if the US World Cup team has even a chance of getting anywhere close to winning. But I do think it would be very interesting to see the reaction if we did. 🙂

-- Kit

• Steve Jones - Editor (6/10/2010)

What was funny is that my son pointed out that most football games are really 2-1 (10-7) or 4-2 (21-14). Not a ton of scoring, but the values just make it seem like more is happening.

True

However, having played rugby, soccer, and a little football, don't let those pads fool you. Football is a tremendously tough game, right there with rugby.

Which sport has the more violent collisions, American Football or Rugby? I have seen studies performed that indicate American Football is by far more violent than the other sports. The pads are there to protect - sure. But since people have pads, they ramp it up even more.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Kit G (6/10/2010)

A World Cup win by the US would, in my opinion, be an embarrassment to the rest of the teams. Not to say that the US can't put out a team worthy of winning the World Cup, but with soccer not being the big national sport in the US that it is in other countries, one would think the other countries would put out better teams as so much of the country is behind the sport.

It see it as the same as if the US loses the World Baseball Classic. Baseball is supposed to be our pastime, so you would think we could/should win it.

Learn Extended Events

• CirquedeSQLeil (6/10/2010)

Kit G (6/10/2010)

A World Cup win by the US would, in my opinion, be an embarrassment to the rest of the teams. Not to say that the US can't put out a team worthy of winning the World Cup, but with soccer not being the big national sport in the US that it is in other countries, one would think the other countries would put out better teams as so much of the country is behind the sport.

It see it as the same as if the US loses the World Baseball Classic. Baseball is supposed to be our pastime, so you would think we could/should win it.

Yep. That we should.

-- Kit

• A nice blog, in the spirit of Jeff: Killer I/O

• We should also be embarrassed if we lose at basketball.

We should also be embarrassed if we lose at basketball.

I was. But then again - look at the components of those teams that have lost.

Learn Extended Events

What was funny is that my son pointed out that most football games are really 2-1 (10-7) or 4-2 (21-14). Not a ton of scoring, but the values just make it seem like more is happening.

Over simplified.

2 pts - safety

3pts - field goal

6 pts - touchdown

and after a touchdown, you can go for a 1 or 2 pt conversion.

So there can be far more scoring than just assuming all td's and pt after.

Whether the teams / players are competing on the same level to me, no matter what the sport, is what makes it interestng.

I'd rather see a close game than a blowout for the most part. Unless it's the underdog handing out the lesson.

Greg E

Viewing 15 posts - 15,721 through 15,735 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply