Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Bob Hovious (2/20/2009)

I empathize with the feeling, Grant. Step back and think for a moment. Do you honestlly believe he doesn't even know how to cut and paste!?

I suspect he's so far over his head that everything we write starts to look like Swahili. But, yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't know what it was based on all the other problems the guy seems to be having.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• jcrawf02 (2/20/2009)

Lynn's labeled SSCertifiable, I'm gonna start calling him 'Certifiable' for short. 😛

Hey, what does that make me?

😀

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Steve, your point is well made that it might be a language/terminology issue. It is theoretically possible that his problem with error messages, or being asked questions himself, might be that he can't understand English well enough to get the significance. I personally doubt this scenario, but it's possible.

If so, he needs to get a lot of education, both ESL (English as a second language) and fundamental SQL, if he has a prayer of surviving. Weeks ago, I recommended he get a basic SQL manual and do some reading. Gail has done so recently. He never responds to such suggestions.

Gail just pointed out to him in his newest thread that he needs a SUM() if he wants to see a total, yet SUM() appears in code from his other threads. Does this look like he's trying to learn anything?

"I am really sorry to ask you questions about SQL 2005, since I have no one to turn to ask for such questions and require genius knowledges like you."

Come on... over a dozen people have tried to help him at one time or another. 😉

It is shrewdness to both appeal for sympathy and try to flatter whomever the helper of the moment is. It reeks of insincerity.

I've worked with novices before and truly enjoy it when I see the light bulb go on over their head. It's a happy thing when you make someone's life a little easier or a little better. This is different.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• I always say that if I wasn't crazy I'd be insane.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Sounds like a Jimmy Buffett lyric.... 😀

Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Okay, don't call me Certifiable, call me Cynical.

Why are we getting such basic questions from someone with a "Master" in Computer Application, has been apparently working with SQL Server for at least 2 years, is supposedly a Senior Software Engineer, and wants to seek a PhD in Computer Science?

• So how many dunes deep in the desert are you right now, Lynn?

• (in best Pete Puma imitation)...

ooooo... three or four... hundred...

Shall we send out a search and rescue party?

-- Kit

• I'll drag in another alternate universe and say deploy the thopters to fetch him back before he is devoured by the shai-hulud.

I'll drag in another alternate universe and say deploy the thopters to fetch him back before he is devoured by the shai-hulud.

Huh, really? I would have thought that Lynn was a desert creature.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Lynn Pettis (2/20/2009)

Okay, don't call me Certifiable, call me Cynical.

Why are we getting such basic questions from someone with a "Master" in Computer Application, has been apparently working with SQL Server for at least 2 years, is supposedly a Senior Software Engineer, and wants to seek a PhD in Computer Science?

I could be wrong, but I think this guy is someone that a company I once worked for outsourced a bunch of stuff to. Same name, anyway. That Karthik, which is probably the same person, started out by commenting on how much of a newbie I was because of design flaws in my database (that was true at that time). The very next day, he ran an unrestricted update on a table (no Where clause) in the production database and reset all the user passwords to PWone1. I was able to recover them out of an audit log, after a few dozen complaints from users. Apparently, he didn't notice he was in the production database (which had a different name and was on a different server than the dev/test databases), and he didn't notice the number of rows updated.

That error was corrected, but less than 8 hours later, the same guy ran another unrestricted update on another table in the production database, and set all user addresses in the system, billing, shipping, legal or otherwise, to the address of the company. Again, he didn't notice this. Customer Service personnel did when they came in the next morning and wanted to process some orders.

So I locked him out of the production servers, which pretty much defeated the purpose they had been hired for, and a few days later the outsourcing contract was cancelled by the owner of the company.

I think it's the same guy we have here. Can't be sure, but I think it is.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Cynical indeed, though advanced education in CS doesn't necessarily mean that you know how to do anything in production.

However, I agree that this person, while possibly having trouble understanding, is most likely just too lazy to do the work.

GSquared, I feel for you, and I'm not surprised.

So how many dunes deep in the desert are you right now, Lynn?

Not sure, dark it is out here. Buried, perhaps I am.

I'll drag in another alternate universe and say deploy the thopters to fetch him back before he is devoured by the shai-hulud.

Paul, they call me.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,606 through 1,620 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply