Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Bruce W Cassidy (2/19/2009)

[font="Verdana"]... how about we spend 2 weeks having a discussion about the relative merits of DB2 versus SQL Server before we get around to providing an answer? 😎

And of course, we should recommend that he replace all of the wire with optic fibre and then get back to us.

[/font]

Considering that the reactor will probably melt down while we discuss the merits of the two RDBMS's leading to nuclear winter, and a lack of sustainable life, I don't know that the fibre optic matters at this point.

Jonathan Kehayias | Principal Consultant | MCM: SQL Server 2008
    My Blog | Twitter | MVP Profile
    Training | Consulting | Become a SQLskills Insider
    Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for Accidental DBAs[/url]

• You know if we really think about it, people are really just applying Occams Razor:

Of two equivalent theories or explanations, all other things being equal, the simplest one is to be preferred.

Maybe they are smarter than we are, I mean we learned all this crap, and they get the same result by just asking questions that we are still answering. Seems to me like they got the simplest part down.

• Alvin Ramard (2/19/2009)

It all comes down to one thing: If only people would try to learn before doing. If they can't learn then maybe they should not do.

Well, maybe that's two things. (hard to count on my fingers while I'm typing.)

LOL see my post about Occam's Razor. Its much more simple to do.

• Bob Hovious (2/19/2009)

No he's not new. I started trying to help him on other posts over a month ago. He ignores polite attempts to prompt him to do it the right way, supply more information etc. His modus operandi is always:

OH PLEASE HELP ME! URGENT URGENT!!

I CAN'T UNDERSTAND ENOUGH TO TRY THINGS FOR MYSELF.

YOU HAVE TO WRITE THE CODE.

YOU HAVE TO FIX MY ERROR MESSAGES WHEN THEY POP UP

THANK YOU, EXPERT.

I'm going in. This could be fun.

You'll be sorry 😉

I think the OP in question may be either too dumb to breathe, or a liar. Either way, he wastes people's time. The "White House" comment just adds fuel to the fire. Maybe it's time to reconsider the idea of a "twit list".

Hmmmmm.... I seem to have been foaming at the mouth... let me go clean that up.....

I've been working in there but I'm getting this feeling like a dog who's been chasing his tail for a while. I mean, how hard is it to understand an error message that says a particular column or table doesn't exist. I had to tell him it meant that the column or table didn't exist. He was surprised I was right. If it's an act, he's working at it VERY hard.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Lynn Pettis (2/19/2009)

What, not like he's asking how to write a database to support a nuclear reactor system.

You don't know that, and that's what scares me. I mean think about it. Somewhere on the planet, this guy has admin rights to production... :sick:

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Steve Jones - Editor (2/19/2009)

That's great. 😀

Fortunately I've worked at and been in a reactor so I'm not more nervous than I would otherwise be.

Having done several valve alignments after extended visits to the chief's club... What could happen?

• Mr White house really is going to top all Twit Lists from all sites for sure... 😛 Man o Man. This guy is either too dumb or a damn good actor. Maybe he is laughing his *** off after reading this thread.. 😛

-Roy

• Here is another guy...

Hi,

Thanks for ur valuable information.

Its is possible to recover deleted records or deleted one table without backup(in Oracle having Flashback Query or Flashback Table or Recyclebin option)

What about SQL Server?

My mailid:tkrajasekar@gmail.com

I am waiting for ur reply.

thanks and regards

Rajasekar

Why do people start dropping tables without Back ups??

-Roy

• They do it because they think they're in Dev but they're actually in production. It's what happens when you open more than one server on your desktop at a time. I'm not saying it's right... it's just that's what happens. I did it once myself in the very early days.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• I learned long ago, never do anything you can't recover from. If a dev says we need to drop a table, my answer is no way. How about lets rename it first and see what happens. Sure it keeps potentially useless data in the database for a bit of time, but I can recover from it with a metadata switch by renaming the table back to its original name. Or change the schema owner for, either works.

• First of all, congratulations to Jonathan Kehayias for the 1600th post!:D

Secondly, I digress, but I was reading through some of your efforts with this guy (http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic658811-338-1.aspx) and I almost soiled myself reading Lynn's last post.

"First, there is no one here by the name of Grass..."

Hysterical . . .

Lynn's labeled SSCertifiable, I'm gonna start calling him 'Certifiable' for short. 😛

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• I've been working in there but I'm getting this feeling like a dog who's been chasing his tail for a while. I mean, how hard is it to understand an error message that says a particular column or table doesn't exist. I had to tell him it meant that the column or table didn't exist. He was surprised I was right. If it's an act, he's working at it VERY hard.

I empathize with the feeling, Grant. Step back and think for a moment. Do you honestlly believe he doesn't even know how to cut and paste!?

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• jcrawf02 (2/20/2009)

Lynn's labeled SSCertifiable, I'm gonna start calling him 'Certifiable' for short. 😛

Go right ahead, I'm sure there are many who would agree with you! :w00t:

• I'm sure he knows how to cut and paste, but might not use that term. What if he's primarily a *nix guy? Might not be used to the term. I'm amazed sometimes how things I take for granted in Windows or SQL aren't done in Unix or Oracle and people don't know (or aren't familiar with the terms.

• Jeff Moden (2/20/2009)

They do it because they think they're in Dev but they're actually in production. It's what happens when you open more than one server on your desktop at a time. I'm not saying it's right... it's just that's what happens. I did it once myself in the very early days.

Yep, 100% correct. We actually have two logins for the DBA's. A seperate one for production systems so you're forced to do a Run As or change your login prior to doing anything in production.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,591 through 1,605 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply