Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Steve Jones - Editor (2/20/2009)

I'm sure he knows how to cut and paste, but might not use that term. What if he's primarily a *nix guy? Might not be used to the term. I'm amazed sometimes how things I take for granted in Windows or SQL aren't done in Unix or Oracle and people don't know (or aren't familiar with the terms.

[font="Verdana"]I was using "cut and paste" on Unix (HP-UX, Sun OS, AIX) before Windows even existed. Sorry, no excuse there. Maybe on some sort of dumb (read, extremely dumb) terminal hooked up to a dead mainframe?[/font]

• Back after 36 hours off and had to spend half an hour playing catch-up on this thread.

Barry: Glad to see you recognized Eron. I used "Eron The Relentless" as my handle when I used to play SubSpace online. It was an instant way to make friends, even if my skills were never above average.

Gamers: I got out of war-gaming after Squad Leader came out. Same reason I never stayed with D&D: Time constraints between working, studying, and dating. PanzerBlitz was as complicated a game as I ever tackled. I still enjoy turn-based games online, because there is less paperwork and I can work it into my schedule. Did anyone ever play Diplomacy? It was like risk without dice, and hilarious with a full set of players.

Jeff: I grew up in a small town and we learned to make our own outside amusement too. But it was a safer environment than my kids grew up in.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• That thread likely got deleted for some reason. We do that at times.

• Steve Jones - Editor (2/22/2009)

That thread likely got deleted for some reason. We do that at times.

Alright... then a thread delete notification to e-mail would be nice.

Also we get the same error message when a single message is deleted, it would be nice to be able to go back to that thread straight from the error message page, without trying to find it using the search function.

• Yeah, I typically get that error when someone has posted and then deleted their own post.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• RBarryYoung (2/22/2009)

Yeah, I typically get that error when someone has posted and then deleted their own post.

I know, all I'm asking is a link in there to go back to that thread and see if I can add something of value anyhow. Shouldn't be hard to do... but there might be some more pressing issues in there.

• The delete message might be hard, but I'll see.

• I'd say there's bigger fish to fry...

Bold, italics, and underline work just fine but the highlighted item being affected loses focus after any of those. It's frequently desireable to apply more than one formatting code to a give selection.

Why does a popup occur when you hit the letter coloring? Why can't it be like the old forum where a color palette pops up?

Although it's a great feature that code doesn't automatically wrap in the code windows, some dummies (myself included once in a while by accident on other people's code) will post things a thousand characters wide. It would be really cool if code windows expanded to no more than 120 or so characters.

It would really be nice if you could cut and paste graphics, grid results, and spreadsheet sections instead of having to upload them separately... the cut and paste could make a file but it's a real pain to do it right now.

I still like the idea of being able to paste colorized code from 2k5.

PLEASE make it so there are no timeouts. Most of the other forums have no such timeout. It's a real pain for both heavy hitters and newbies.

Fixing the search has already been mentioned but it's worth mentioning again.

For article submissions, a better preview would be good.

Instead of the little "IFCode Shortcuts" taking up horizontal space, it would be much better if they were "iconic" and in the menu bar much like "bold" currently is. Check out how the other forums like the WROX forum does it.

Again, already mentioned but worth mentioning again... make the titles of posts word wrap instead of truncating.

Last and certainly not least... disable all smiley faces in code windows only. It's a huge PITA to have to replace right parenthesis with & # 0 4 1 ; all the time in code so you can keep some reasonable format and still get smiley faces in normal body text.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (2/22/2009)

For article submissions, a better preview would be good.

That would be a big help. So would the equivalent of the "Quote" button on Posts for the Articles, so that we can see how different formats are coded from the source.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Oh yeah... I almost forgot... we need a way to download all PM's. There's a 100 I wanna keep. πŸ˜‰

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (2/22/2009)

Oh yeah... I almost forgot... we need a way to download all PM's. There's a 100 I wanna keep. πŸ˜‰

Why not bump the limit to a 1000? It's not like someone can hack the site by saving e-mails!!!

• Some individual posts are gems and worthy of being saved as articles. It would be real handy to be able to put such articles into the "briefcase".

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Ninja's_RGR'us (2/23/2009)

Jeff Moden (2/22/2009)

Oh yeah... I almost forgot... we need a way to download all PM's. There's a 100 I wanna keep. πŸ˜‰

Why not bump the limit to a 1000? It's not like someone can hack the site by saving e-mails!!!

I guess it's because it would turn into a private email network and could quickly get out of hand. But if you look at threads like this one, what's the definition of "out of hand"? πŸ˜›

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (2/23/2009)

Ninja's_RGR'us (2/23/2009)

Jeff Moden (2/22/2009)

I guess it's because it would turn into a private email network and could quickly get out of hand. But if you look at threads like this one, what's the definition of "out of hand"? πŸ˜›

I don't think this thread has gotten out of hand, it started as vent for frustrated "helpers" and has become a social gathering place, the SSC water cooler, where we can talk about anything. Go back and look at the posts, I mean we have talked about a lot of different subjects beyond just SQL Server. This thread has allowed those of us who read it and participate in it to get to know each other beyond just our technical skills. Where else on this site have you seen this really occur to the depth it has here?

{ Theme from Cheers starts playing again }

• Sorry, Lynn... I should have used a different word for "extremely lengthy". I agree... this thread has been both fun and educational.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 15 posts - 1,756 through 1,770 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply