Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Bob Hovious (2/23/2009)

It may hit 2000 posts before midnight.

In who's timezone? It's past that in mine.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Sounds like a self fulfilling prediction to me.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• In who's timezone? It's past that in mine.

Then it's more likely to be correct for YOU now, isn't it? 😀

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

You'll note that he didn't say midnight of which day!

• I've noticed much the same thing. I'm in the mood for sci-fi at the moment and I can't find anything that looks good.

Yeah, it's dig out the 'ol favourites time 😀 Like movies, sometimes they just get better. I realised with Hero, when I understood what they were saying without subtitles, that I should probably buy another DVD player. The ending was a bit iffy though.

David Weber, David Drake, Eric Flint, John Ringo, Elizabeth Moon

Thanks for the tips Bruce, always wondered what was lurking behind the covers.

Just moved house

I know, all that time that could be devoted to reading, lost forever.

What a sad depiction of the Eater of Worlds....

Hey look, he was trying to eat us, I say dig right on in there.

Alistair Reynolds

I need to find some more of his. I found Galactic North in a small bookshop at the airport (of all places) and finished in 2 days.

Imagine that 🙂

Here are a couple from kalahari.net

Authors' site, the site aint that snazzy, but who says SF writers need to be html experts.

Max

• Lynn Pettis (2/23/2009)

Bob Hovious (2/23/2009)

You'll note that he didn't say midnight of which day!

5, 4, 3, 2...

Err, before I get too carried away, where does one find the post count?

SELECT COUNT(*) FROM SQLServerCentral..Posts WHERE PostName = 'Are the posted questions getting worse?'

Max

• About an inch from the bottom of this page... just to the left of the page number and navigation arrows.

1,897 posts, Page 190 of 190«««186 187 188 189 190

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• About an inch from the bottom of this page... just to the left of the page number and navigation arrows.

thx, what a shocker :w00t:

Max

• Max (2/23/2009)

Thanks

I don't usually buy from Kalahari. Their prices are often worse than a physical books shop, especially when shipping's factored in

I'll drop by my favorite book shop later this week or nest week and see if they can order me any.

Any recommendations where to start?

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• GilaMonster (2/23/2009)

Max (2/23/2009)

Thanks

I don't usually buy from Kalahari. Their prices are often worse than a physical books shop, especially when shipping's factored in

I'll drop by my favorite book shop later this week or nest week and see if they can order me any.

Any recommendations where to start?

I quite like Chasm City, I think that's the second one I bought. On the author's Novels page, he mentions:

My earlier books are REVELATION SPACE (2000), CHASM CITY (2001), REDEMPTION ARK (2002), ABSOLUTION GAP (2003) and THE PREFECT(2007), all of which are set in the same universe. They can be read independently, although it's preferable to read RS, RA and AG in that order. CC and THE P can be read at any point in the sequence.

Two other novels, CENTURY RAIN (2004) and PUSHING ICE (2005) are completely independent books.

I have to finish Fallen Dragon then I'm on to AG (quite like the phrase on the front leaf "It's time for Humanity to meet its Unmaker...") should be interesting. Have to finish renovations and moving first though and this reading until 2am is probably not a good idea 😀

Max

• Max (2/23/2009)

Have to finish renovations and moving first though and this reading until 2am is probably not a good idea 😀

It's better than working til 2am.

Gail Shaw

• GilaMonster (2/23/2009)

It's better than working til 2am.

You certainly have a point, sadly my boss just doesn't seem to understand though! Besides, you have PST home time to look forward to, yay!

Max

She Who Must Be Obeyed

You either read H. Rider Haggard or Rumpole....

Gail, yes the Illuminatus Trilogy is worth reading, although written in the early seventies and geared towards the mindset of the sixties. Not as well known as the Hitchhiker's Guide, but still the source of a lot of geekdom. It also got turned into a really fun card game.

fnord Io, io Eris... Hail Discordia fnord

Haggard.

It was a great game. I'm waiting until the kids are a bit older to try introducing it.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Bruce W Cassidy (2/23/2009)

GilaMonster (2/23/2009)

I don't know what it was about it. One of my friends loved it to bits.

Maybe the blatant feminism. MZB's not subtle about that when she writes

[font="Verdana"]Heh. Some of the Darkover stuff is almost anti-feminist. I think she was trying to get into the head space of a very blatantly female dominated culture.

Speaking of which, Sherri S. Tepper, anyone? Gate to Womens' Country was one I couldn't finish. Some of her books are just absolutely brilliant though. The True Game got me hooked.

[/font]

Yeah, I like some Sherri Tepper. Funny, I finished Gate to Women's Country. I had fun with it. It seems so black & white, but it isn't, not at all.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Sci-Fi: little known author David R Palmer: "Emergence", and also "Threshold"

Fantasy: LotR, of course.

Try "The Black Company" by Glen Cook, first book of a dark fantasy series, especially liked by D&D enthusiasts.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

Viewing 15 posts - 1,891 through 1,905 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply