Are the posted questions getting worse?

• WayneS (9/28/2010)

SSMS 2008 - Multiple Server query question.

When I open up a normal query window connected to just one server, I can drag a file onto it, and a new window will open up connected to that server/database.

When I open up a query window connected to multiple servers (Registered Servers - right click on a group, select "New Query"), when I drag a file onto it, a new query window opens up, but it is not connected to any of the servers. Is there a way to accomplish this, short of opening up the file and performing a cut/paste into the Multiple Server query window?

Strange, all seems to work okay for me. Dragging or opening a file connects to all servers correctly. (using SSMS 2008 version 10.0.2531.0)

Deja View - The strange feeling that somewhere, sometime you've optimised this query before

How to get the best help on a forum

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537
  • Tom.Thomson (9/28/2010)

I would say that as a general rule, letting a "business analyst" anywhere near anything you seriosly want to happen is a big mistake. A person who can translate accurately between development speak and user speak is NOT called a business analyst - he or she is called a senior developer or a senior user! Business analysts exist solely to ensure that developers and users do not communicate.

Ha! Bitter much, Tom? I would agree that a bad Business Analyst is a terrible thing, I happen to work with a great one.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Brandie Tarvin (9/29/2010)

Tom.Thomson (9/28/2010)

Business analysts exist solely to ensure that developers and users do not communicate.

2) A business analyst is put in to facilitate (management speak for "to prevent") communication between developers and users.

3) A product manager is put in to facilitate (management speak for "to prevent") communication between developers and marketeers.

Now that's a little unfair, Tom. I happen to know some seriously good BAs and PMs at my current workplace who are all about the communication and trying to understand everyone's needs. In fact, several of them are very good at facilitating projects.

That's not to say there are no bad ones. I've met plenty of bad ones. They don't usually last long at this place.

I agree with Steve's point that often the Business Unit (users) don't often know what they want until they're actually given it. I've been working a "brand new" project for a year now where we're all learning what the vendor software can do. As we discover more and more things about it, the BU changes their mind about how reports and final outputs should be configured. That's not the BAs / PMs fault. It's a learning experience for all of us.

Most projects I've worked on get scope changes due to one major issue. The IT department knows more about the business rules that the BU does. In the past, this has been a serious problem. Now that we have BAs and PMs who are paying attention to both sides, we're able to get requirements issues resolved in a timely manner and keep a majority of our deadlines.

A good BA is hard to find, but they are out there. I totally agree with Brandie - communication is what it is all about. They need to understand both the users needs and the technical end.

Users not realy knowing what they want - I think most times they have a pretty good idea most of the time, but might not be able to express it very well. At least in developer language. That's were the good BA can be of help.

Some scope creep / changes are part of every project. You can't know possible issue going in - to get to this point, you might never start. But you need to know enough to not get boxed in and have to start over.

Some of the worst projects I have seen can involve users talking alone with outside vendors, getting a project approved, and then using an outside firm to implement. The chances of them not understanding business rules and other systems is great, and if there application is expected to integrate with any of them, it's a recipe for disaster.

Greg E

• Right now I'm feeling the pain of project managers rather than BAs

Got a project manager that holds a weekly meeting in which does the following:

* Asks the developers what they are currently busy with

* Updates his % completed on project plan

* Raises concerns that we are behind schedule (we know, the deadline we were given is an impossible one)

* Reminds us that the deadline can't be moved.

Other than wasting an hour of my time each week, how is that helping the project?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (9/29/2010)

* Raises concerns that we are behind schedule (we know, the deadline we were given is an impossible one)

Other than wasting an hour of my time each week, how is that helping the project?

It's not. First, that meeting should only be taking 15 minutes. Secondly, he should be asking you what he can do to facilitate what you're doing. Not badgering you about the fact that you're behind schedule.

Obviously he's got the whole Direction of Input wrong. He's supposed to be supporting you, not you supporting him.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

GilaMonster (9/29/2010)

It's not. First, that meeting should only be taking 15 minutes. Secondly, he should be asking you what he can do to facilitate what you're doing. Not badgering you about the fact that you're behind schedule.

Obviously he's got the whole Direction of Input wrong. He's supposed to be supporting you, not you supporting him.

Exactly. A good PM focuses on eliminating bottlenecks. Of course, "good" is the operative phrase there.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• CirquedeSQLeil (9/28/2010)

Alvin Ramard (9/28/2010)

Jeff Moden (9/28/2010)

It's disappointing, for sure but... you still got paid and they didn't blame you so probably not such a bad gig, eh?

Jeff, you trying to speak Canadianese, eh? ๐Ÿ˜›

Glad to see you're trying to improve yourself. ๐Ÿ˜€

Speaking of Canada - shouldn't the country be pronounced Canad - eh?

Heh... I can't help it. The first country South of where I live is Canada. The first country North of where I live is Canada. And, the first country East of where I live is Canada. The fresh poo I accidently step in occasional at the parking lot at work is, you guess it, Canadian Goose poo. Since I also like mayonaise on my hamburger, the occasional "eh" is bound to come out. ๐Ÿ˜›

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• It's remarkable how many people don't get the concept that the manager's contribution to the team effort is support. The best managers I've ever had shared the view that their job was to minimize the roadblocks and distractions that kept the people on their team from doing their jobs.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Jeff Moden (9/29/2010)

The first country South of where I live is Canada. The first country North of where I live is Canada. And, the first country East of where I live is Canada. The fresh poo I accidently step in occasional at the parking lot at work is, you guess it, Canadian Goose poo.

So, you're Sarah Palin's next door neighbor? I've read stories about you ... @=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

Secondly, he should be asking you what he can do to facilitate what you're doing. Not badgering you about the fact that you're behind schedule.

An extension of the deadline would be nice. We're doing 6 months of work in less than 2 months. However since the delivery date was communicated to lots of important people long before the design was done, that's no going to help. I've been saying since day 1 that the timeframes are not achievable.

Just found out that the PM promised the users that they can see the reports on monday (as in next week). Fat bloody chance in hell, I'm still revising the DB design.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

GilaMonster (9/29/2010)

Brandie, I do not agree. That meeting is a waste of time. Everything that Gail listed could easily be done by email. Meetings should be to discuss issues that would require too many emails to resolve. Don't call me to a meeting to get details on my status. I can email that.

Now, back to work everyone! ๐Ÿ˜€

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• GilaMonster (9/29/2010)

Brandie Tarvin (9/29/2010)

Secondly, he should be asking you what he can do to facilitate what you're doing. Not badgering you about the fact that you're behind schedule.

An extension of the deadline would be nice. We're doing 6 months of work in less than 2 months. However since the delivery date was communicated to lots of important people long before the design was done, that's no going to help. I've been saying since day 1 that the timeframes are not achievable.

Just found out that the PM promised the users that they can see the reports on monday (as in next week). Fat bloody chance in hell, I'm still revising the DB design.

They'll probably just end up doing what we do around here. They'll release a piece of functionality or do a demo and declare the project "delivered on time." Then go back & finish it up.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Alvin Ramard (9/29/2010)

Brandie Tarvin (9/29/2010)

GilaMonster (9/29/2010)

Brandie, I do not agree. That meeting is a waste of time. Everything that Gail listed could easily be done by email.

Yes and no.

I see your point, but part of what can help efficiency is that if emails go back and forth on a subject three times, it's time to talk face-to-face. Additionally, the Scrum model for projects, when properly implemented, works wonderfully. You have weekly 15 minute (or shorter) meetings to make sure everyone knows where everything is and where all the roadblocks are, the decide what priorities are met during the sprint. This helps keep things small and containable.

• I just remembered what a former manager used to say:

"We never have time to do it right the first time, but, somehow, we can always find time to did it over again."

It boggles the mind, eh? ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

Tom.Thomson (9/28/2010)

Business analysts exist solely to ensure that developers and users do not communicate.

2) A business analyst is put in to facilitate (management speak for "to prevent") communication between developers and users.

3) A product manager is put in to facilitate (management speak for "to prevent") communication between developers and marketeers.

Now that's a little unfair, Tom. I happen to know some seriously good BAs and PMs at my current workplace who are all about the communication and trying to understand everyone's needs. In fact, several of them are very good at facilitating projects.

That's not to say there are no bad ones. I've met plenty of bad ones. They don't usually last long at this place.

I agree with Steve's point that often the Business Unit (users) don't often know what they want until they're actually given it. I've been working a "brand new" project for a year now where we're all learning what the vendor software can do. As we discover more and more things about it, the BU changes their mind about how reports and final outputs should be configured. That's not the BAs / PMs fault. It's a learning experience for all of us.

Most projects I've worked on get scope changes due to one major issue. The IT department knows more about the business rules that the BU does. In the past, this has been a serious problem. Now that we have BAs and PMs who are paying attention to both sides, we're able to get requirements issues resolved in a timely manner and keep a majority of our deadlines.

This is why my job frequently entails listening to the users about what they want/need and then telling them what they really want/need. I phrase it that way for brevity, not arrogance. I'm simply much more familiar with systems than they are and with how long things take. I usually just suggest that X approach or Y functionality might be better and most of the time they listen. Assure them they'll still get what they need and that you want to include them in the process and they're more than willing to listen to the expert.

Most of the time they know what they need to do, but have no idea what they want or need. Part of my job is bridging that gap without alienating the users/customers.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    --------------------------------------
    Itโ€™s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    Whatโ€™s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

Viewing 15 posts - 19,426 through 19,440 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply