Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Jeff Moden (11/10/2010)

Craig Farrell (11/10/2010)

Jeff Moden (11/10/2010)

Craig Farrell (11/9/2010)

And back on topic for the thread:

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1018016-338-1.aspx

*wallbanger*

I'll be "blah blah"ing over in the corner now.

As I said on that post... now I know what a feeding frenzy on someone relatively new looks like. It's not pretty. The OP definitely asked the question the wrong way and I agree that the question is either from a test or a book for homework but Holy Moly. I can't cast any stones at anyone because I've been guilty of it myself in the past but I've learned a valuable personal lesson today.

I don't think it was the newness that started the frenzy. It was the 'blah blah' post. I know it personally set my teeth on edge, but I hadn't expected the volume of reactions.

It was a combination of things... OP had no clue... some people reacted in relative (perhaps even justifiable) disgust to that... the word "idiot" came out... and it all went down hill from there. I wouldn't blame anyone or anything in particular. I was just shocked. Since I was an outsider to the post, I was able to look at the responses (again, justifiable frustration about the OP and the poor question) through a different set of eyes and, whether I agreed with the frustration about the OP (and I did agree with the frustration), I asked myself "If I were Googling these folks for postition in the company I work for, which one(s) would I choose for the job?"

That's when I realized that, although I typically don't resort to name calling or ad hominem attacks, that my demeanor on other posts have been more than just a little out of line according to the casual observer. Good lesson learned for me both on the forum and in real life.

I didn't participate in the post, but I had a very negative reaction to the OP as well. That's partly why I didn't say anything in response to him. It wasn't primarily because of his poorly posted "question" or his attitude with the "blah, blah" or even his terrible communication skills. Any time I see someone trying to get someone else to do their homework for them, I get really annoyed.

Not only won't they learn a damn thing, which wastes the OPs time and the answerer's, but if they succeed in getting others to do their work for them, do you really want to end up working with that person? They're either going to be constantly screwing up, which means someone else will have to fix it (which means I'll have steady work, I suppose) or they'll be conning other people in the workplace to do their work for them. Better to let them fail now or learn the more fundamental lesson about the importance of an actual education.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    --------------------------------------
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

It was a combination of things... OP had no clue... some people reacted in relative (perhaps even justifiable) disgust to that... the word "idiot" came out... and it all went down hill from there. I wouldn't blame anyone or anything in particular. I was just shocked. Since I was an outsider to the post, I was able to look at the responses (again, justifiable frustration about the OP and the poor question) through a different set of eyes and, whether I agreed with the frustration about the OP (and I did agree with the frustration), I asked myself "If I were Googling these folks for postition in the company I work for, which one(s) would I choose for the job?"

It was definitely the combination. I had responded in that thread, and then edited it to add a snide comment. In retrospect, it was definitely wrong, and I've deleted that snide comment.

BTW: in your last sentence, you have this misspelled word: "postition". The problem is, I can can't tell if it's a misspelling for "position", or "prostitution"... either one works there! πŸ˜€

Edit: and I misspelled "can't". jeez...

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• WayneS (11/10/2010)

Jeff Moden (11/10/2010)

It was definitely the combination. I had responded in that thread, and then edited it to add a snide comment. In retrospect, it was definitely wrong, and I've deleted that snide comment.

BTW: in your last sentence, you have this misspelled word: "postition". The problem is, I can tell if it's a misspelling for "position", or "prostitution"... either one works there! πŸ˜€

....aaaaand, Wayne does NOT get the "position"......

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• jcrawf02 (11/10/2010)

aaaaand, Wayne does NOT get the "position"......

Well, that all depends on what "position" Wayne was aiming for. If he was combining the two concepts at once, he might just be in the "correct" position.

*Ahem* now, grab your ankles and...:-P

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

Chad Crawford (11/8/2010)

Jeff - you replaced a SharePoint 2010 presentation that was moved to Thursday. It seems to have replaced a session on High Performance Functions.

If I'm able to make it to your session (I was scheduled to be elsewhere), I'll be the one asking Sharepoint questions every 5 minutes πŸ˜›

Chad

BWAA-HAAA!!! Glad I didn't get to see this until after the presentation.

Remind me not to be a "replacement" for these types of things in the future. I didn't count the attendees but it seems like I broke some kind of record with only 8 people in attendance because of all the confusion on the schedule.

Ouch - that is unfortunate

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Must be the week...

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1019000-392-1.aspx

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

• Craig Farrell (11/10/2010)

Must be the week...

Actually, once the OP explained him/her self, I can see where they copped that attitude - the "We're not here to do your homework" in your signature could be taken wrong, as the OP admitted. Maybe it could be toned down or qualified somehow?

Wayne

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    Performance Problems

• Has anyone heard anything about Barry lately?

Wayne

Links:
    Performance Problems

• WayneS (11/10/2010)

Has anyone heard anything about Barry lately?

I haven't. Just pinged him to see if he's OK.

• WayneS (11/10/2010)

Must be the week...

Actually, once the OP explained him/her self, I can see where they copped that attitude - the "We're not here to do your homework" in your signature could be taken wrong, as the OP admitted. Maybe it could be toned down or qualified somehow?

Yeah, I thought the sig line was more obvious but we'll get that fixed up shortly.

- Craig Farrell

• WayneS (11/10/2010)

Has anyone heard anything about Barry lately?

I had the same thought a couple of weeks ago, but a quick look revealed he'd been quite active, though not on The Thread.

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Craig Farrell (11/10/2010)

Must be the week...

Nice sig πŸ˜‰ To be perfect, should start with "Yea" instead of "'lo", and have an extra thy in "Thy spool and thy hash..."

funny stuff!

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• jcrawf02 (11/11/2010)

Must be the week...

Nice sig πŸ˜‰ To be perfect, should start with "Yea" instead of "'lo", and have an extra thy in "Thy spool and thy hash..."

funny stuff!

Haha how many folks looked at this and saw "Thy bong..." πŸ˜›

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• jcrawf02 (11/11/2010)

Must be the week...

Plus it should be 'the valley of the shadow of joins'

Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of joins, I shall fear no scans, for thou art the optimizer; thy spool and thy hash, they comfort me

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (11/11/2010)

jcrawf02 (11/11/2010)

Must be the week...

Plus it should be 'the valley of the shadow of joins'

Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of joins, I shall fear no scans, for thou art the optimizer; thy spool and thy hash, they comfort me

I feel enlightened already.

That does have a nice flow to it.

Greg E

Viewing 15 posts - 21,346 through 21,360 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply