Are the posted questions getting worse?

• I should have seen that coming. Nice! 😛

• Alvin Ramard (11/10/2010)

Chad Crawford (11/10/2010)

Alvin Ramard (11/10/2010)

Stefan Krzywicki (11/10/2010)

jcrawf02 (11/10/2010)

Chad Crawford (11/9/2010)

Edited. Decided there was no good point to my post.

What the heck is that? Now we have to have GOOD posts?

If everything on the internet needed a good point, the whole thing would come to a screetching halt.

Not 100% true, but a lot of sites would disappear and network traffic would be greatly reduced.

Sheesh! I don't think have had a more quoted post!

Really?

+ 1 😀

For the sake of perpetuating the cycle.

+1

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Stefan Krzywicki (11/10/2010)

jcrawf02 (11/10/2010)

Chad Crawford (11/9/2010)

Edited. Decided there was no good point to my post.

What the heck is that? Now we have to have GOOD posts?

If everything on the internet needed a good point, the whole thing would come to a screetching halt.

http://xkcd.com/386/

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• WayneS (11/8/2010)

Forget the online text editor... put it into a word document. Steve will convert it.

I normally just use the online editor to save Steve some time. The conversion on his end isn't 100% "automagic".

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Chad Crawford (11/8/2010)

Jeff - you replaced a SharePoint 2010 presentation that was moved to Thursday. It seems to have replaced a session on High Performance Functions.

If I'm able to make it to your session (I was scheduled to be elsewhere), I'll be the one asking Sharepoint questions every 5 minutes 😛

Chad

BWAA-HAAA!!! Glad I didn't get to see this until after the presentation.

Remind me not to be a "replacement" for these types of things in the future. I didn't count the attendees but it seems like I broke some kind of record with only 8 people in attendance because of all the confusion on the schedule.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• just forget it! 😎

Brain and fingers totally out of sync!!

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Craig Farrell (11/9/2010)

And back on topic for the thread:

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1018016-338-1.aspx

*wallbanger*

I'll be "blah blah"ing over in the corner now.

As I said on that post... now I know what a feeding frenzy on someone relatively new looks like. It's not pretty. The OP definitely asked the question the wrong way and I agree that the question is either from a test or a book for homework but Holy Moly. I can't cast any stones at anyone because I've been guilty of it myself in the past but I've learned a valuable personal lesson today.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• I guess the next question to ask is, has anyone written a "spackle" article (think "Requested Article") on how to return the top 2 items from each group, yet?

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (11/10/2010)

Craig Farrell (11/9/2010)

*wallbanger*

As I said on that post... now I know what a feeding frenzy on someone relatively new looks like. It's not pretty. The OP definitely asked the question the wrong way and I agree that the question is either from a test or a book for homework but Holy Moly. I can't cast any stones at anyone because I've been guilty of it myself in the past but I've learned a valuable personal lesson today.

I don't think it was the newness that started the frenzy. It was the 'blah blah' post. I know it personally set my teeth on edge, but I hadn't expected the volume of reactions.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

I guess the next question to ask is, has anyone written a "spackle" article (think "Requested Article") on how to return the top 2 items from each group, yet?

Just edited one from Dave. Looks great, and he shows why you need to be careful because of performance.

• BTW, I had the chance to meet Jeff in Seattle and it was a pleasure. The rest of you should try to look him up if you can.

I missed Roy, which was a disappointment. However I still have an excuse to try and get to Curacao at some point.

• Craig Farrell (11/10/2010)

Jeff Moden (11/10/2010)

*wallbanger*

I don't think it was the newness that started the frenzy. It was the 'blah blah' post. I know it personally set my teeth on edge, but I hadn't expected the volume of reactions.

It was a combination of things... OP had no clue... some people reacted in relative (perhaps even justifiable) disgust to that... the word "idiot" came out... and it all went down hill from there. I wouldn't blame anyone or anything in particular. I was just shocked. Since I was an outsider to the post, I was able to look at the responses (again, justifiable frustration about the OP and the poor question) through a different set of eyes and, whether I agreed with the frustration about the OP (and I did agree with the frustration), I asked myself "If I were Googling these folks for postition in the company I work for, which one(s) would I choose for the job?"

That's when I realized that, although I typically don't resort to name calling or ad hominem attacks, that my demeanor on other posts have been more than just a little out of line according to the casual observer. Good lesson learned for me both on the forum and in real life.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (11/10/2010)

Jeff Moden (11/10/2010)

I guess the next question to ask is, has anyone written a "spackle" article (think "Requested Article") on how to return the top 2 items from each group, yet?

Just edited one from Dave. Looks great, and he shows why you need to be careful because of performance.

Very cool. Thanks for the feedback, Steve.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (11/10/2010)

BTW, I had the chance to meet Jeff in Seattle and it was a pleasure. The rest of you should try to look him up if you can.

The pleasure was all mine, Steve. Thanks for spending the time with me. Glad to finally meet you after 7 or 8 years of remote conversations.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

*wallbanger*

I was working with him till the blah blah thing. That "you do the work for me" attitude doesn't work for me. I've written plenty of code for other people on this site, but only if the request is at least moderately polite.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

Viewing 15 posts - 21,331 through 21,345 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply