Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Grant Fritchey (3/4/2009)

Doesn't matter, our friend didn't even do a good job of copying & pasting. He reversed things that Brad had posted, such as the order in the WHERE clause does not matter was transcribed as DOES matter.

Not even.

If you have a WHERE clause that includes expressions connected by two or more AND operators, SQL Server will evaluate them from left to right in the order they are written. This assumes that no parenthesis have been used to change the order of execution. Because of this, you may want to consider one of the following when using AND:

* Locate the least likely true AND expression first. This way, if the AND expression is false, the clause will end immediately, saving time.

* If both parts of an AND expression are equally likely being false, put the least complex AND expression first. This way, if it is false, less work will have to be done to evaluate the expression.

http://www.sql-server-performance.com/tips/t_sql_where_p4.aspx

Completely false, but since when does that matter... :hehe:

I suspect out 'friend' copied from one of the places I've linked and they copied from sql-performance. The way it's written on the blog is so similar to the stuff from dotnet4all

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Ninja's_RGR'us (3/4/2009)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No offense, but if all that is required is put up a crappy blog with unverified recommendations, I can be an mvp in 7 days with 50$ out of pocket. This is just ridiculous.

Since mangal pardeshi is an INDIAN MVP. Used google to detemine if the old caste system still exists. It appears that it does but not in such as strong form as in the past under British rule. From this site:

http://www.csuchico.edu/~cheinz/syllabi/asst001/spring98/india.htm

The Indian caste system has been in use for many years. Still today the values of the caste system are held strongly. It has kept a sense of order, and peace among the people. There are five different levels of the system: Brahman, Kshatriya, Vaishya, Shudra, and Harijans. Within each of these categories are the actual "castes" or jatis within which people are born, marry, and die. They all have their own place among each other and accept that it is the way to keep society from disintegrating to chaos. This system has worked well for Indian people and still has a major role in modern India.

And this "rule" may have a large influence on those who select Indian MVPs, heck it is their culture.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• I skimmed over most of Mangal's blog posts and felt that there wasn't much there which I hadn't come across elsewhere. Nothing wrong with that really (although it hardly seems worth keeping a blog just to repeat stuff that's available elsewhere), but I didn't consider that he may have just copied stuff without attributing it.

Did anyone else bother to look at the other posts?

There was one trick I hadn't encountered before to get just the date part from a datetime (http://mangalpardeshi.blogspot.com/2008/12/removing-time-from-datetime-column-in.html.

Basically, it seems you can just call CONVERT(VARCHAR,DATETIMEVALUE,STYLE). I'd always assumed SUBSTRING was needed, but apparently the value gets truncated at the date automatically. Is this a well known feature?

Of course, when I did a quick search I found a similar article here (http://www.mssqltips.com/tip.asp?tip=1145) so it's not original, mostly just reformatted.

Derek

• bitbucket (3/4/2009)

heck it is their culture.

I hate people that won't adapt and that think the world needs to kiss their hiney just cuz they were spawned from the right set of nads. Culture, or in this case, apparent lack of culture is no excuse.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• This post has a bit irony attached I think:

http://mangalpardeshi.blogspot.com/2009/03/how-to-disable-right-click-on-your-blog.html

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Derek Dongray (3/4/2009)

I skimmed over most of Mangal's blog posts and felt that there wasn't much there which I hadn't come across elsewhere. Nothing wrong with that really (although it hardly seems worth keeping a blog just to repeat stuff that's available elsewhere), but I didn't consider that he may have just copied stuff without attributing it.

There was one trick I hadn't encountered before to get just the date part from a datetime (http://mangalpardeshi.blogspot.com/2008/12/removing-time-from-datetime-column-in.html.

Basically, it seems you can just call CONVERT(VARCHAR,DATETIMEVALUE,STYLE). I'd always assumed SUBSTRING was needed, but apparently the value gets truncated at the date automatically. Is this a well known feature?

Of course, when I did a quick search I found a similar article here (http://www.mssqltips.com/tip.asp?tip=1145) so it's not original, mostly just reformatted.

That's an extremely old... and slow trick. The DATEADD/DATEDIFF method is quite a bit faster. I guess that goes to show that our buddy isn't as smart as he thinks he is. Some serious pork chops are in his future and I already launched the first one this morning over the top of one of his answers.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Grant Fritchey (3/4/2009)

This post has a bit irony attached I think:

http://mangalpardeshi.blogspot.com/2009/03/how-to-disable-right-click-on-your-blog.html

10 pounds worth...

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Guys,

He may be a vegitarian, Rotarian, NRA member too, but I wouldn't necessarily jump to the conclusion that any of those had an influence on his MVP status. It seems like a far jump to link this to the Indian caste system.

Besides, not being a big believer in Titles and Their Power to Acknowledge Accomplishment ( I have a DD I got from the Universal Life Church for $60, so that's Reverend Doctor Webb, if you please), I'd know the real MVPs here by their level of demostrated expertise, professionalism, and willingness to help me and the rest of the great illiterate masses. I'd like to be able to join the MVP group someday. But I will know I've arrived, not when I get a title, but when my level of knowledge reaches the point where I can answer the complex, unusual questions and guide the posters to a better level of understanding. I've got a long way to go to get there, but I've found good guides here and I really appreciate the amazing opportunities for education being presented here.

Spending time on this guy just distracts from useful work and raises everyone's blood pressure. Turn him in to the proper authorities and have done with him.

And then again, I might be wrong ...
    David Webb

• Jeff Moden (3/4/2009)

That's an extremely old... and slow trick. The DATEADD/DATEDIFF method is quite a bit faster.

That explains why I hadn't seen it before.

Mangal presumably tells posters on MSDN to use it whenever he sees the question.

I guess that goes to show that our buddy isn't as smart as he thinks he is.

Between his blog and reading some of his posts on MSDN, I think I understand why he was unhappy with the sort of discussions that occur here in response to questions, i.e. "is this a good solution to the problem?". He's used to someone asking "How do you...?", he posts boilerplate answer and they just say "Thanks". No discussion as to whether a solution is good, fast, scalable, etc. Just, "does it work?"

Derek

• Guys and ladies, I am an Indian living in the Carribean. The caste system is still there but not like how it is preceived in teh outside worls. Actually now, if you are from a lower caste, you get more preference... 😉

But that guy smells rotten from way far off. So my comment about reading someone else material and writing it down as his articles was not far from the truth... 😀

-Roy

• Derek Dongray (3/4/2009)

Yes I did. None of the others I tested are exact copies from elsewhere.

Semi but, as Jeff says, not the fastest trick in the toolbox.

http://sqlinthewild.co.za/index.php/2008/09/04/comparing-date-truncations/ (not copied from elsewhere, not a rephrased version of another article)

bitbucket (3/4/2009)

And this "rule" may have a large influence on those who select Indian MVPs, heck it is their culture.

Doubt it. Final selection's done in Redmond, not by people in the local offices.

Jeff Moden (3/4/2009)

Some serious pork chops are in his future and I already launched the first one this morning over the top of one of his answers.

Post link, or was it your last post in the 'answered threads' thread?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • You know, the "Answered" Posts really doesn't make much sense anymore. To understand why many of the posts are there, you have to read the entire thread to find Mangal's comments in the quoted replies to understand why most of us were upset and offended. He has deleted all but 3 of his posts from that thread, the original post and two others.

If that isn't unprofessional, I'm not sure what is anymore.

• I don't think we have the same standards for professionalism!

• Deleting your posts strikes me as the equivalent of the people who disconnect from losing positions in online chess games. It's the equivalent of kicking over the board and running out of the room.

-------------

Your party is ambushed by an ANNOYING INTERLOPER

He attacks with UNWELCOME CRITICISM. Roll 2xD20 for saving throw, anything but an 11 saves.

Entire party jumps on ANNOYING INTERLOPER using VERBAL PUMMELING.

GilaMonster casts REPORT PLAGIARISM.

Cardinal Moden tosses PORK CHOP OF PERDITION

ANNOYING INTERLOPER survives (barely) but retreats to never bother the party again.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Ha! Check out Penelope's post on the end of the Answered thread (http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic666402-4-5.aspx )

That's priceless. . . Steve, can you mark that thread 'Abandoned'?

:D:D

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

Viewing 15 posts - 2,251 through 2,265 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply