Are the posted questions getting worse?

• I was tempted to say what about being able to mark the thread as "Answered in the duplicate thread."

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Sorry a little out of touch and late in responding. I'm reviewing the other thread, and I have a complaint and explanation in my email from the OP.

Not sure what abandoned will do. However, it probably needs a marking of something.

• Steve Jones - Editor (3/5/2009)

Sorry a little out of touch and late in responding. I'm reviewing the other thread, and I have a complaint and explanation in my email from the OP.

Not sure what abandoned will do. However, it probably needs a marking of something.

If need be, Steve, I will be the first to apologize for what transpired. I took offense to the post he made in reply to your post, and sort of

went off a bit on him for his comments. I then alerted others regarding that post and the virtual "blanket party" ensued. As a participant in the thread, however, I do feel that no one ever became abusive in their various responses. If he was offended by any of the responses, he really should accept responsibility for part of it, as his post offended many of the "heavy lifters" on SSC.

• Hey Grant, your chum's back in town. I'm in the bleachers with a couple of beers.

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Chris Morris (3/5/2009)

Hey Grant, your chum's back in town. I'm in the bleachers with a couple of beers.

I'll join you. Got any coffee?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Lynn Pettis (3/5/2009)

I took offense to the post he made in reply to your post, and sort of

went off a bit on him for his comments. I then alerted others regarding that post and the virtual "blanket party" ensued.

I saw the aforementioned post before you replied to it. After reading it I had to put the keyboard down and take a long walk to calm down.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• GilaMonster (3/5/2009)

Chris Morris (3/5/2009)

Hey Grant, your chum's back in town. I'm in the bleachers with a couple of beers.

I'll join you. Got any coffee?

Plenty, make yourself comfortable. You might want to put on this 'ere baseball cap since the vultures are circling.

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• GilaMonster (3/5/2009)

Lynn Pettis (3/5/2009)

I took offense to the post he made in reply to your post, and sort of

went off a bit on him for his comments. I then alerted others regarding that post and the virtual "blanket party" ensued.

I saw the aforementioned post before you replied to it. After reading it I had to put the keyboard down and take a long walk to calm down.

Whoa, you actually let go of the keyboard?? πŸ˜‰

Seriously however, Gail, I didn't help matters with my subsequent post here at the "Water Cooler", it seemed to escalate the responses much in the way that blood attracts sharks.

• Apologies for not getting in there sooner. I could see the heat coming through the wires from people's ears.

Supposedly this is an "MVP" as well. I suggested he post the thread in the MVP groups and see who was acting unprofessional.

I suggested he post the thread in the MVP groups and see who was acting unprofessional.

Ooohhhh... I sooooo wanna see the results if he does!

πŸ˜€

Gail Shaw

Apologies for not getting in there sooner. I could see the heat coming through the wires from people's ears.

Supposedly this is an "MVP" as well. I suggested he post the thread in the MVP groups and see who was acting unprofessional.

I don't think it would look too good for him. If the "MVP Review" looks at the thread, they'll see that he deleted many of his posts from the thread.

Yes, it got heated, and perhaps a little borderline, but other than that I think everyone maintained what I thought was a level of professionalism (until he started deleting his posts).

• Lynn,

I agree and noted as much in my email. I did ask him/her to have a friend or two read through it and give an opinion.

• We are getting ideas.

GSquared (3/5/2009)

GilaMonster (3/5/2009)

jcrawf02 (3/5/2009)

GSquared (3/5/2009)

all of them believe that not using global cursors on global temp tables is a violation of Object Oriented Programing principles and that "all you set-based idiots need to get with the times!"

*****URGENT****!!! Must re-write my global cursors to meet standards listed above!!! Plz hlp! Thanks!!

Start by making them DYNAMIC, SCROLL, UPDATE. Nest them for greater effect.

I was kind of aiming for "really, really bad", not for "cataclysmic, existence threatening". πŸ™‚ If I were, I'd have mentioned that the global temp tables need to be single-column XML data-type tables purely for object-persistence. Or at least name-value pair structures.

• We are getting ideas.

OMG NOOOOOOOooooooooo :w00t:

Steve, a suggestion for enhancements: Could each block have a copy button above it to make it easier to cut and paste long code sections, like in BOL? I'm often fumble fingered with the mouse.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Is this ever going to end ?

* Noel

Viewing 15 posts - 2,266 through 2,280 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply