Are the posted questions getting worse?

• We are not slow. We will be fed with more posts! Our plans are unstopable! We must be posted to!

• The Thread (1/28/2011)

We are not slow. We will be fed with more posts! Our plans are unstopable! We must be posted to!

Welcome back.

I guess.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• The Thread (1/28/2011)

We are not slow. We will be fed with more posts! Our plans are unstopable! We must be posted to!

Watch out... The thread is back. Now we are all doomed.

-Roy

• GilaMonster (1/26/2011)

Since you seem intent on pulling the whole story out bit by bit, line by line...

I'm just not seeing a future here at the moment. The IT industry is not doing well. Everyone complains there are no skills but then refuses to pay reasonable rates or salary (not a new thing, but seems to be getting worse). The key decision point in many potential project meeting I've been part of recently has been price, not skills, not qualifications. Reputation counts for almost nothing in many cases. Brent O asked me last year how much my billing rate would increase if I got an MCM and the answer is that it probably wouldn't. There's been major retrenchments from some of our big IT consulting/outsource companies, with one retrenching over 60% of their staff.

If I tried to get a full time job again here, I'd have to deal with the 'employment equity act' which states that I may not be given the job if there is even one other applicant that meets minimum job requirements and is 'previously disadvantaged'

The economic growth plan that's currently in discussion in government includes the capping of salary and wage increases, and the threshold that is planned to kick in at is R20000/month (about $3000)

The next couple of years are going to see heavy road tolls (while private industry voluntarily fixes potholes), a 'national health scheme' where the more you earn the more you pay (current estimates at least 12-15% of income) and probably increasing blackouts.

Not planning, not looking, just thinking

Sounds like a good time to be thinking about planning on looking:-P

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Brandie Tarvin (1/28/2011)

The ..... Thread ..... is ..... extremely ..... slow

....of ....late. ....What's ...wrong ...with ...everyone's ....posting ....skills?

..or ...are ...we ...all ...really ....that ....bizzzzzzz .... eeeee..... eeeeee....eeeeeee.

Busy. Kids, work, user group, SQLRally, & planning. Not thinking or looking, just planning.

Jack Corbett

• So they reportedly turned off the internet in Egypt.

'Makes me wonder how easy it would be to do that here in the US or in England?

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. - Stephen Hawking

• mtillman-921105 (1/28/2011)

So they reportedly turned off the internet in Egypt.

I think it is interesting that it happens the day after there was an interview on the BBC with a representative of the British government about the huge cuts in the BBC's operating budget that's forcing them to close quite a few operations. The government representative took the stand that closing these operations (broadcast and short wave to various regions in various languages) weren't such a big deal because people in those regions could still get to the BBC in the internet.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    --------------------------------------
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• WayneS (1/28/2011)

GilaMonster (1/28/2011)

Can anyone help this gentleman locate a split function please http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1054690-1292-1.aspx

Your wish is my command πŸ˜€ ... he's been guided to a suitable split function.

Edit: and you were extremely patient with him! Good going!

I've added another response. Maybe I'm going crazy, but to me you both seem to have missed the fact that he's trying to pass a large number of case numbers in a parameter big enough to hold just one. Or have I misread his parameter list somehow?

Tom

• Tom.Thomson (1/28/2011)

I've added another response. Maybe I'm going crazy, but to me you both seem to have missed the fact that he's trying to pass a large number of case numbers in a parameter big enough to hold just one. Or have I misread his parameter list somehow?

No, you haven't misread the parameter list. I think he was expecting it to be some form of array, where the elements only have to be the size of one item. You have (I assume) missed the post where I pointed that out to him though. πŸ˜‰

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

So they reportedly turned off the internet in Egypt.

Would be very easy here. The entire infrastructure (data lines and phone lines) are all run by a partially government owned company. Plus with only 2 undersea cables providing all international internet access, shutting the ends of those down would cut off all but satellite connections.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• GilaMonster

Would be very easy here. The entire infrastructure (data lines and phone lines) are all run by a partially government owned company. Plus with only 2 undersea cables providing all international internet access, shutting the ends of those down would cut off all but satellite connections.

Well, that's scary. (And I'm kind of surprised at myself when I say that, but the internet is a big deal now.)

That article mentions that Egypt lost its internet connections in 2008 when the undersea cables were accidentally cut.

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. - Stephen Hawking

• Anyone checked out www.sqltidbits.com? I always wonder when someone starts a new site.

Jack Corbett

Well, that's scary. (And I'm kind of surprised at myself when I say that, but the internet is a big deal now.)

Not so much here. It's still a luxury, maybe 10-12% of the population has internet access of any form.

Gail Shaw

• GilaMonster (1/28/2011)

Tom.Thomson (1/28/2011)

No, you haven't misread the parameter list. I think he was expecting it to be some form of array, where the elements only have to be the size of one item. You have (I assume) missed the post where I pointed that out to him though. πŸ˜‰

I must be getting careless in my old age - I didn't spot that (and I did skim all the posts, so should have spotted it).

edit: I missed a whole page of comments - must have skipped accidentally from page 1 direct to page 3 without passing page 2 and without collecting essential information πŸ™ - a bit like a monopoly go to jail card

Tom

• Tom.Thomson (1/28/2011)

edit: I missed a whole page of comments - must have skipped accidentally from page 1 direct to page 3 without passing page 2 and without collecting essential information πŸ™ - a bit like a monopoly go to jail card

Just set your account up to see more posts/page (it can go up to 50), and you won't have that problem! πŸ˜€

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

Viewing 15 posts - 23,596 through 23,610 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply