Are the posted questions getting worse?

• GilaMonster (1/28/2011)

mtillman-921105 (1/28/2011)

So they reportedly turned off the internet in Egypt.

'Makes me wonder how easy it would be to do that here in the US or in England?

Would be very easy here. The entire infrastructure (data lines and phone lines) are all run by a partially government owned company. Plus with only 2 undersea cables providing all international internet access, shutting the ends of those down would cut off all but satellite connections.

What would be the consequence for applications connected to a could database ??

No business ??

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• ALZDBA (1/29/2011)

What would be the consequence for applications connected to a could database ??

No business ??

Yes, but Cloud's not used all that much here. Bandwidth (especially international) is expensive and limited.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • WayneS (1/28/2011)

Tom.Thomson (1/28/2011)

edit: I missed a whole page of comments - must have skipped accidentally from page 1 direct to page 3 without passing page 2 and without collecting essential information 🙁 - a bit like a monopoly go to jail card

Just set your account up to see more posts/page (it can go up to 50), and you won't have that problem! 😀

I'll try it at 30 - 50 could be a pain when the local backbone is a bit choked.

Tom

• Dave Ballantyne (1/27/2011)

Jeff Moden (1/26/2011)

Ah... sorry. I got a little behind on the thread. I see you already have enough volunteers to help.

Ill Pencil you in for Ver2 😉

Works for me. 🙂

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jack Corbett (1/28/2011)

Anyone checked out www.sqltidbits.com? I always wonder when someone starts a new site.

Jack, are you trying to link to an SSC thread? That's what the link comes up with (EDIT: When directly clicked on) and gives a 404 error.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Does anyone else have problems surfing the site?

I can browse through the forums, but if I want to go to the home page, I get a Maintenance page.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Koen (da-zero) (1/31/2011)

Does anyone else have problems surfing the site?

I can browse through the forums, but if I want to go to the home page, I get a Maintenance page.

If you're talking SSC's site, then no, I can click "home" and get to the home page.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• If well planned and prepared, maintenance can be performed at lightning speed 😛

Johan

• Brandie Tarvin (1/31/2011)

Koen (da-zero) (1/31/2011)

If you're talking SSC's site, then no, I can click "home" and get to the home page.

Hmm, I'm still getting the maintenance page.

I flushed the DNS cache and restarted my browser, but to no avail...

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Koen (da-zero) (1/31/2011)

Brandie Tarvin (1/31/2011)

Koen (da-zero) (1/31/2011)

Hmm, I'm still getting the maintenance page.

I flushed the DNS cache and restarted my browser, but to no avail...

Did you clear all the cookies and temp files out of your browser cache? (Not the same thing as the DNS cache).

• I was bad. I was very bad. Just had to slap down a poster, couldn't help it. "Hey, I need a complete system design, thanks." Man I hate those.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• If the poster said that, I don't blame you for slapping down. The question is, how diplomatic were you?

• Grant Fritchey (1/31/2011)

I was bad. I was very bad. Just had to slap down a poster, couldn't help it. "Hey, I need a complete system design, thanks." Man I hate those.

For salvation say 5 "Hail SQLs" and 3 "Our Maintenanceplans" 😀

Johan

If the poster said that, I don't blame you for slapping down. The question is, how diplomatic were you?

I wasn't mean or cruel, but I certainly wasn't diplomatic.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

If the poster said that, I don't blame you for slapping down. The question is, how diplomatic were you?

He was pretty diplomatic about it. Far more diplomatic than my first thought upon seeing it.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 15 posts - 23,611 through 23,625 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply