Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Brandie Tarvin (1/31/2011)

Jack Corbett (1/28/2011)

Anyone checked out www.sqltidbits.com? I always wonder when someone starts a new site.

Jack, are you trying to link to an SSC thread? That's what the link comes up with (EDIT: When directly clicked on) and gives a 404 error.

Odd behavior. I edited the original post and it works now. Here's the link again. SQLTidBits

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• GilaMonster (1/31/2011)

Brandie Tarvin (1/31/2011)

If the poster said that, I don't blame you for slapping down. The question is, how diplomatic were you?

He was pretty diplomatic about it. Far more diplomatic than my first thought upon seeing it.

Yeah, I just saw the post. You're not a bad guy, Grant. You're realistic. I like your last comment, too.

Though I have to wonder why he needs someone to design his database if he already has it modeled out. I would think the modeling would be the hard part and everything else would be easy (relatively speaking) after that.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Grant Fritchey (1/31/2011)

I was bad. I was very bad. Just had to slap down a poster, couldn't help it. "Hey, I need a complete system design, thanks." Man I hate those.

Maybe we can design it for him. If his social networksite makes him as rich as Mark Zuckerberg, I'll be happy with 10% πŸ™‚

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Yikes, lots of thread activity since I disappeared Fri am.

Being unwired is nice πŸ˜‰

• We had a deployment early am today, UK time, so there was some downtime there. Should have pointed to a maintenance page on this same server, so no DNS flushing needed.

We fixed a few admin things, and added in some linkages for the Stairway series we've been working on .

• Brandie Tarvin (1/31/2011)

GilaMonster (1/31/2011)

Brandie Tarvin (1/31/2011)

If the poster said that, I don't blame you for slapping down. The question is, how diplomatic were you?

He was pretty diplomatic about it. Far more diplomatic than my first thought upon seeing it.

Yeah, I just saw the post. You're not a bad guy, Grant. You're realistic. I like your last comment, too.

Though I have to wonder why he needs someone to design his database if he already has it modeled out. I would think the modeling would be the hard part and everything else would be easy (relatively speaking) after that.

At a guess? It's not a true ERD, it's a design showing how data should go together scribbled on napkins in the bar the same drunken night he came up with the idea to challenge Facebook for a social networking site.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• WayneS (1/28/2011)

Tom.Thomson (1/28/2011)

edit: I missed a whole page of comments - must have skipped accidentally from page 1 direct to page 3 without passing page 2 and without collecting essential information πŸ™ - a bit like a monopoly go to jail card

Just set your account up to see more posts/page (it can go up to 50), and you won't have that problem! πŸ˜€

Yeah. Then you can accidentally skip 50 posts instead of just 10. Solves the whole thing. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Edit: Please read "couldn't resist" as "didn't feel like resisting". πŸ™‚

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• So... what's your favorite data modeling tool?

Starting a new job today... I get to use whatever tools I want. I've used ERwin and PowerDesigner in the past. IMHO, ERwin is too overpriced.

Just trying to see what else is out there that others use and like.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• WayneS (1/31/2011)

So... what's your favorite data modeling tool?

Pencil and paper (or marker and whiteboard).

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GSquared (1/31/2011)

WayneS (1/28/2011)

Tom.Thomson (1/28/2011)

edit: I missed a whole page of comments - must have skipped accidentally from page 1 direct to page 3 without passing page 2 and without collecting essential information πŸ™ - a bit like a monopoly go to jail card

Just set your account up to see more posts/page (it can go up to 50), and you won't have that problem! πŸ˜€

Yeah. Then you can accidentally skip 50 posts instead of just 10. Solves the whole thing. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Edit: Please read "couldn't resist" as "didn't feel like resisting". πŸ™‚

I love Visio. Easy to use, lots of templates, supports crow's feet, links with SQL Server and Access to produce diagrams from existing databases. I've even used it for graphics and deisgn diagrams. I designed the necklace with which I proposed to my fiance with Visio. Sent the image as a PDF off to the jewelry-maker and we used it as a template.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    --------------------------------------
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

WayneS (1/31/2011)

Personally, I prefer using Grant

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• WayneS (1/31/2011)

Starting a new job today... I get to use whatever tools I want. I've used ERwin and PowerDesigner in the past. IMHO, ERwin is too overpriced.

Whiteboard and Visio. I don't even use the reverse build templates. My ERD's usually aren't that defined to the datatype level. They're conceptual builds that I'll reverse engineer later if we really need that documentation... which you normally don't. I've gotten pretty good in Visio over the years about building my own custom objects on the fly and getting it to do what I need.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• WayneS (1/31/2011)

Embarcadero ERStudio. Although, it's not cheap and there's no MVP love from them.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

WayneS (1/31/2011)

Ditto

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• jcrawf02 (1/31/2011)

GilaMonster (1/31/2011)

WayneS (1/31/2011)

Personally, I prefer using Grant

Oh yes ... Grant has sql plans πŸ˜‰

Grant has a light version : the Kilt release

And a straight forward RAD version: Don't use it unless you are prepared to for a rough to the point reply

:w00t:

Any way, you'll be served correct.:cool:

And that's no gossip at all

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution πŸ˜€

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

Viewing 15 posts - 23,626 through 23,640 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply