Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Has anyone actually written an SSC article on how to write up and submit PASS abstracts?

I know I'd be interested in seeing the process as my abstracts tend to suck. Yes, I'm a writer, but I haven't done a lot of technical abstracts.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Grant submitted a session on how to write good abstracts. 🙂 Maybe we can ask him to write an article up on it. 🙂

-Roy

• Roy Ernest (6/16/2011)

Grant submitted a session on how to write good abstracts. 🙂 Maybe we can ask him to write an article up on it. 🙂

Yeah, but that session got turned down, so I'm not sure I'm the right guy for doing that.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Stefan Krzywicki (6/15/2011)

Greg Edwards-268690 (6/15/2011)

Stefan Krzywicki (6/15/2011)

Anyone have opinions about putting a data warehouse on a VM? The main objection I have so far is speed, even without a VM our server isn't all that fast and they're not going to be willing to pay for a faster machine just so they can VM it. If you can direct me to some literature on why this is a bad idea, I'd appreciate it.

BI tends to have more variation in workload.

So if they plan to VM it, the big question might be on resources.

Our network admin used to talk about our machine being underutilized.

24 hour average CPU was 30%.

Then we pointed out our processing - almost 5 hours, 100%, taking up most of out nightly window.

Processing peaks / window, and user access peaks are part of the picture.

Averages might not work very well.

Part of you decision might rest with version of OS and SQL, and if it's strictly used for SQL or you have Cubes too.

Somewhere I also have a doc talking about BI and virtualizing, where you might consider 2 to 1 good vs. 10 - 20 normal for other applications.

2008 R2 (both SQL and OS), and splitting SQL and SSAS to separate servers (physical) worked very well for us.

Thanks, I just need to know what to look at and what questions to ask. This should help quite a bit.

Corp just had an engagement with Microsoft, more in line with consolidation than virtualization.

Even on the physical side, it was very easy to get them to say BI is different, and managing as a stack is a good approach.

And you need to look at the process too.

We have a net change DW, with logic on AS400, replicated to SQL.

Another site does all the work in SQL.

Our front end ETL takes 10 minutes, then we build our cube every night.

Their process takes 30 minutes to get the data, and 6+ hours in staging.

So a lot can depend on your indiviidual situation.

Biggest thing I see in the VM world - over committment of resources.

At our site, we will be virtualizing SP 2010 and Power Pivot on the same machine.

But that likely will be all that is on the machine, and they have seen with virtualizing a couple of other front end apps, we have a far better understanding of what goes well together.

Another very important consideration is how to scale a virtual environment. You may get a physical machine that can easily take more RAM, Disk, Processors, etc.

On a VM, the physical hardware may have already be maxed out to a great degree.

Virtualizing has some advantages, but doesn't always make sense.

So I'm sure you already are asking the why questions, as it sounds like you might do a bit to enhance the user experience today.

The more data we have, the faster they except to see it.

Good luck!

• Roy Ernest (6/16/2011)

Jeff, I am surprised that your session did not make the cut. I was looking forward to meeting you again. Darn.. Dont the MVPs get a special discount or something that you can come? This sucks. I know that Paul, Grant, Steve and Gail got their session approved. But I am not sure about Wayne.

I am glad that I did not submit any sessions. This year I volunteered for the program committee and I am doing abstract editing and all kinds of stuff. If your session is not accepted, there is no chance that mine will. I was planning to submit one next year, but now I am not sure.

Nah... your session has as much a chance as anyone's. It all depends on two things... how hot the topic is perceived to be in the world of SQL (for example, PowerPivot is very hot) and, of course, the abstract. Building test data and avoiding loops just aren't the hot topics this year. 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Grant Fritchey (6/16/2011)

Roy Ernest (6/16/2011)

Grant submitted a session on how to write good abstracts. 🙂 Maybe we can ask him to write an article up on it. 🙂

Yeah, but that session got turned down, so I'm not sure I'm the right guy for doing that.

I think that session got rejected because you got maxed out. 😀 You have one precon, one spotlight and one regular.. Right?

Jeff, PowerPivot is not me. 😀 I prefer topics like yours over power pivot. I have one yr to think about if I want to submit a presentation or not. I have the SQL Saturday to plan 🙂 I am quite excited about it.

-Roy

• Roy Ernest (6/16/2011)

Grant Fritchey (6/16/2011)

Roy Ernest (6/16/2011)

I think that session got rejected because you got maxed out. 😀 You have one precon, one spotlight and one regular.. Right?

Jeff, PowerPivot is not me. 😀 I prefer topics like yours over power pivot. I have one yr to think about if I want to submit a presentation or not. I have the SQL Saturday to plan 🙂 I am quite excited about it.

Just a pre-con and a spotlight. You're only allowed two.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• All of mine got rejected 'max allowed sessions'. Am a little bleak about that, though I understand the reason. I thought in previous years it was max 2 conference sessions + potentially a precon.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (6/16/2011)

All of mine got rejected 'max allowed sessions'. Am a little bleak about that, though I understand the reason. I thought in previous years it was max 2 conference sessions + potentially a precon.

Yeah, thing about that is they let you submit two pre-cons and four spotlight/regular sessions. That seperation seems implied to me. Ah well, no need to be greedy. I'd be happy with one session.

• SteveOK, here are the current top posters:

SQLRNNR - 2567

GilaMonster - 1957

Lynn Pettis - 1775

Alvin Ramard - 1745

Steve Jones - SSC Editor - 1434

Grant Fritchey - 1427

Jeff Moden - 1258

GSquared - 1046

The Dixie Flatline - 997

SQLkiwi - 980

Looks like I need to do about 60 non-Thread posts to have 10k outside of here. At my usual rate, I'll have that in a few days. Works for me.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Trey Staker (6/15/2011)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (6/15/2011)

...There are 105 different people that have posted here, just under a hundred with only 1 post.

105 different people with more than 1 post plus 100 with only 1 post?

roughly. It's more like 120 or so people w/ > 1 post, and about 90-some w/ 1 post.

• Fal (6/16/2011)

I had loads of fun on the bus coming into work this morning.

So I start undressing. As luck would have it the spider is dislodged by my satchel and ends ...

Steve.

ROFL :w00t::hehe:

• GilaMonster (6/16/2011)

All of mine got rejected 'max allowed sessions'. Am a little bleak about that, though I understand the reason. I thought in previous years it was max 2 conference sessions + potentially a precon.

I am surprised. A blanket rejection seems harsh. I know a few people mentioned they submitted 5.

IMHO, the tool ought to just limit you to 4 and not then reject you. Or when reviewing, just show the first 4.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (6/16/2011)

GilaMonster (6/16/2011)

I am surprised. A blanket rejection seems harsh. I know a few people mentioned they submitted 5.

IMHO, the tool ought to just limit you to 4 and not then reject you. Or when reviewing, just show the first 4.

You couldn't submit 5 regulars. To have submitted 5 it would have to be 3 or 4 regular/spotlight and a precon or 2 (which is what I submitted). The submission tool wouldn't let you submit more than 4 regular/spotlight.

Why are you surprised by the rejection reason? Speakers are allowed max 2 sessions, I'm doing a pre-con with Grant and a spotlight, so 'exceeded max allowable sessions' is about the only thing they could have said for the regular sessions. (well, that or 'not good enough')

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Found my entertainment for the forseeable future. As provided to me:

"You HAVE to click this link …. It is a video name generator and gives you new (made up) names of video games

http://videogamena.me/[/url] "

favorites so far:

Ninja Bible Apocalypse

Cthulhu's Trailer Park Preacher

New STD Heroes

Jedi Donkey Princess

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

Viewing 15 posts - 27,376 through 27,390 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply