Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Totally off the security rights topic... can anyone point me in the right direction to get some information on realistic salary levels in the US for SSRS developers?

-Ki

• @gus

Thanks for your input.

I think the type of work our devs are doing must differ greatly from yours (more ETL processes), and I have never had a dev say they want sysadmin to test out SQL Injection attacks, if they ever do I'll grant it (temporarily). 🙂

BTW - if they have sysadmin they can restore their own databases, I'd be too busy 🙂

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• george sibbald (6/17/2011)

@gus

Thanks for your input.

I think the type of work our devs are doing must differ greatly from yours (more ETL processes), and I have never had a dev say they want sysadmin to test out SQL Injection attacks, if they ever do I'll grant it (temporarily). 🙂

BTW - if they have sysadmin they can restore their own databases, I'd be too busy 🙂

In the case of ETL, I would treat these devs at the same level of perms as Grant said. Otherwise, as Gus said - dev environment is very similar to a sandbox for the devs.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• George,

I used to give Devs only the same access as the application in development. That was mainly because I'd end up with tables like this

Create Table Customer

( CustomerID varchar(100)

, Customer_Name varchar(200)

, Active bit

, Status bit

, IsLocal bit

, Address1 varchar(4000)

, Address2 varchar(4000)

, workphone varchar(50)

, workphone2 varchar(50)

/*edited for brevity */

So on their own instance, on their own machine, they can do what the want, but in shared environments, limited access.

As I got better developers, I'd let them create their own objects, but they had to be reviewed before they went to QA, which got messy, because I learned that developers, and even DBAs, tend to suck at tracking changes. If you have a tool like Red Gate's SQL Compare, it's better, but honestly when things get pushed, code slips through.

So the easy way was to force developers to only build in their own instance, or in their own schema, and then have a "deployment" to a shared schema on a shared server.

YMMV with different developers, but depending on who management backs, more restrictions actually meant more code getting to users and working.

• thanks for the feedback folks.

Some interesting viewpoints and thoughts.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• Kiara (6/17/2011)

Totally off the security rights topic... can anyone point me in the right direction to get some information on realistic salary levels in the US for SSRS developers?

Salary.com is pretty good for general levels in geographic specific areas, but they would list it as a Report Developer (generic) position. They don't list by software type.

I get a monthly salary report for free, MOF. The only issue is that since I haven't paid for the detailed report (which includes my skills, experiences, and qualifications), it's only a range from lowest to highest and doesn't tell me what *I* should be making.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (6/17/2011)

Kiara (6/17/2011)

Totally off the security rights topic... can anyone point me in the right direction to get some information on realistic salary levels in the US for SSRS developers?

Salary.com is pretty good for general levels in geographic specific areas, but they would list it as a Report Developer (generic) position. They don't list by software type.

I get a monthly salary report for free, MOF. The only issue is that since I haven't paid for the detailed report (which includes my skills, experiences, and qualifications), it's only a range from lowest to highest and doesn't tell me what *I* should be making.

Thanks - I wasn't finding anything on salary.com, but was searching under SSRS, not a generic Report Developer.

I'm not looking for myself - we're debating splitting a job and hiring someone, and I want to at least get an idea what kind of budget we need to be thinking about in the early stages of our planning process.

Much appreciated!

-Ki

• Kiara (6/17/2011)

Brandie Tarvin (6/17/2011)

Kiara (6/17/2011)

Thanks - I wasn't finding anything on salary.com, but was searching under SSRS, not a generic Report Developer.

I'm not looking for myself - we're debating splitting a job and hiring someone, and I want to at least get an idea what kind of budget we need to be thinking about in the early stages of our planning process.

Much appreciated!

You're quite welcome.

If you can't find what you want under Report Developer, try searching under IT - ALL. It lists several subgroups of IT positions and you can scroll through the list until you find the title closest to what you want.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (6/17/2011)

You're quite welcome.

If you can't find what you want under Report Developer, try searching under IT - ALL. It lists several subgroups of IT positions and you can scroll through the list until you find the title closest to what you want.

Will do. Again - thanks!

-Ki

• Off to the UK for a week and a half. Can some people keep an eye on the corruption forums make sure that any problems don't get unchallenged stupid advice?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (6/17/2011)

Off to the UK for a week and a half. Can some people keep an eye on the corruption forums make sure that any problems don't get unchallenged stupid advice?

I'll do what I can, but I don't own a katana to make sure they fear me. I'll just need to use this Nyquil induced haze of insanity I appear to have at the moment.

EDIT: Ooops, oh yeah, sorry. Enjoy your trip!

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

Off to the UK for a week and a half. Can some people keep an eye on the corruption forums make sure that any problems don't get unchallenged stupid advice?

Safe travels, enjoy class.

Enjoy your trip...

And I will keep an eye on the corruption forum. My advice would be REBOOOOOOOOTTTT...!!!

😀

Just kidding. I wont give any advice.. 🙂

-Roy

• Roy Ernest (6/17/2011)

GilaMonster (6/17/2011)

Enjoy your trip...

And I will keep an eye on the corruption forum. My advice would be REBOOOOOOOOTTTT...!!!

😀

Just kidding. I wont give any advice.. 🙂

Bah, it IS a windows product... You're in recovery? Just keep rebooting till it stops.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Anyone got a magic wand? http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost1127588.aspx

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 15 posts - 27,436 through 27,450 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply