Are the posted questions getting worse?

• I would love some opinions on this question if any of you have experience with EMC Networker. Our server people are telling me they use it for SQL Server backups, but were astonished when I told them I wanted to backup the backup files I create with SQL Server. I don't know if what they're doing is adequate and have been unable to find decent EMC Networker documentation online. Your opinions on it would mean at least as much as the documenation.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Jack Corbett (6/29/2011)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (6/28/2011)

Enjoy presenting. Couple things.

1. Breathe. Easy to race through things. Take a moment at a few spots to get a drink of water or take a deep breath and pace yourself.

2. There's always someone smarter in the room. Don't worry about impressing everyone.

3. don't worry about ending a little early.

Great advice. IMO, #2 is very important to remember. I'll never forget presenting on SQL Server Profiler with Brad McGehee in the room. His book was one of my main references for the presentation.

#3 is good too, although I've yet to be in a technical presentation where the presenter ended early. Usually there are enough questions and comments to fill at least 10-15 minutes.

To me, end is when the presentation is done. Questions are separate, and there usually are plenty. However I've seen lots of presenters scrambling to fit in demos or finish their talks as the next presenter is standing there and people for the next session are trying to talk in the room.

End a few minutes early, take questions. Don't stress about talking for 50 minutes in a 50 minute presentation.

• One of the worst Celko posts ever.

He must have stepped on dog poop today.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (6/29/2011)

Jack Corbett (6/29/2011)

1. Breathe. Easy to race through things. Take a moment at a few spots to get a drink of water or take a deep breath and pace yourself.

2. There's always someone smarter in the room. Don't worry about impressing everyone.

Great advice. IMO, #2 is very important to remember. I'll never forget presenting on SQL Server Profiler with Brad McGehee in the room. His book was one of my main references for the presentation.

#3 is good too, although I've yet to be in a technical presentation where the presenter ended early. Usually there are enough questions and comments to fill at least 10-15 minutes.

To me, end is when the presentation is done. Questions are separate, and there usually are plenty. However I've seen lots of presenters scrambling to fit in demos or finish their talks as the next presenter is standing there and people for the next session are trying to talk in the room.

End a few minutes early, take questions. Don't stress about talking for 50 minutes in a 50 minute presentation.

Similarly, don't try to stretch 10 minutes of material to fill a 50-minute slot.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (6/29/2011)

Similarly, don't try to stretch 10 minutes of material to fill a 50-minute slot.

LOL, haven't seen that. I have seen people w/ only 30 minutes of stuff, which is disappointing, but not sure it's worse than someone that tries to stuff 90 minutes into 55. At least the first guy finished, and people could go do something else.

• Gianluca Sartori (6/29/2011)

One of the worst Celko posts ever.

He must have stepped on dog poop today.

Or someone took his lollipop away.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (6/29/2011)

GSquared (6/29/2011)

LOL, haven't seen that. I have seen people w/ only 30 minutes of stuff, which is disappointing, but not sure it's worse than someone that tries to stuff 90 minutes into 55. At least the first guy finished, and people could go do something else.

15 minutes into an hour long workshop, presenter asked "any questions?" There were none (the presentation was kind of at the "how do you spell 'VW'?" level at that point). He spent the next 15 minutes trying various ways to get people to ask questions. Then that was it. Wasn't a technical workshop, different subject, but the same rules apply.

I seriously think the guy's ego assured him he was so fascinating people would be dying to ask him all kinds of questions, and he was shocked, yes shocked, that it didn't go that way.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (6/29/2011)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (6/29/2011)

GSquared (6/29/2011)

15 minutes into an hour long workshop, presenter asked "any questions?" There were none (the presentation was kind of at the "how do you spell 'VW'?" level at that point). He spent the next 15 minutes trying various ways to get people to ask questions. Then that was it. Wasn't a technical workshop, different subject, but the same rules apply.

I seriously think the guy's ego assured him he was so fascinating people would be dying to ask him all kinds of questions, and he was shocked, yes shocked, that it didn't go that way.

I've done that while teaching, but I'm prepared for there not being any questions. I usually have a second or third lecture ready and if there are questions, those go by the wayside, but if there aren't I go to the next lecture. And I've only done that for topics which have generated a huge number of questions in the past.

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.

• Stefan Krzywicki (6/29/2011)

I've done that while teaching, but I'm prepared for there not being any questions. I usually have a second or third lecture ready and if there are questions, those go by the wayside, but if there aren't I go to the next lecture. And I've only done that for topics which have generated a huge number of questions in the past.

What I like to do is put quarter-hour markers on a note of sorts that shows me way-points to meet at a certain time. If it hit the way-point too early, I verbose the next section or two. Otherwise, I thinly cover a less critical issue or two.

As for dealing with questions, I like to ask for questions at regular intervals to keep it a little more interactive and engaging. However, I only take one or two questions and then defer all the others until after the session. This prevents the session from getting bogged down with someone asking specific long questions about their own systems - which others can care less about. In fact, any questions that are more than 200 in a 100 session, I note that it is more advanced than the course and to see me after and we can discuss. Any question too 'personal' about their own odd scenario, I also note how that will knock us off the outline and we can talk after.

This seems to keep things interactive, but still moving right along.

Jim Murphy
    http://www.sqlwatchmen.com
    @SQLMurph

• Friend of mine could use some product specific help that I'm no good with. I suspect if anyone knows this stuff, you guys do.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey (6/29/2011)

Friend of mine could use some product specific help that I'm no good with. I suspect if anyone knows this stuff, you guys do.

Today seems to be the day to ask about product specific backups in the Thread. I did so for a different product just a few posts ago.

• Hey, gang. We need a few polite responses at this thread here regarding license limitations. He wants MVPs, Microsoft peeps, and resident experts to respond because he doesn't believe those of us who have already posted.

Again, don't hurt anyone, please. He just needs a little convincing from authority figures. And if Gus, Ninja, Craig and I are wrong, feel free to say so.

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1128085-357-5.aspx?Update=1

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (6/29/2011)

Hey, gang. We need a few polite responses at this thread here regarding license limitations. He wants MVPs, Microsoft peeps, and resident experts to respond because he doesn't believe those of us who have already posted.

Again, don't hurt anyone, please. He just needs a little convincing from authority figures. And if Gus, Ninja, Craig and I are wrong, feel free to say so.

Actually, I'd prefer that people please don't pile onto this one.

I suggested that the person with questions about the license on SQL Express check with a lawyer before they go ahead with attempts to circumvent the license. He took it personally. It really just needs to die there.

Property of The Thread

• GSquared (6/29/2011)

Brandie Tarvin (6/29/2011)

Hey, gang. We need a few polite responses at this thread here regarding license limitations. He wants MVPs, Microsoft peeps, and resident experts to respond because he doesn't believe those of us who have already posted.

Actually, I'd prefer that people please don't pile onto this one.

I suggested that the person with questions about the license on SQL Express check with a lawyer before they go ahead with attempts to circumvent the license. He took it personally. It really just needs to die there.

If you don't check with a lawyer before this kind of step, you have no-one to blame but yourself when it all goes pear-shaped. If nothing else, you should kick this kind of decision to a business person at your company, explaining everything in detail to them so they can make the decision. That's supposedly what they're there for, including the decision to talk to a lawyer. You can (and should) suggest that step to them, but if the business people aren't there for this kind of decision, what are they there for?

• Jack Corbett (6/29/2011)

In most cases, IMHO, it is better to finish 5 minutes early than 2 minutes late (including Q/A time).

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Use Full Links:
    KB Article from Microsoft on how to ask a question on a Forum

Viewing 15 posts - 27,706 through 27,720 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply