Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Gianluca Sartori (6/29/2011)

One of the worst Celko posts ever.

He must have stepped on dog poop today.

I wish there were ratings on posts, maybe a thumbs up or down on answers like on Ask SCC.

Best sum up ever of Celko: (I'd have given it a huge thumbs up!!!)

GSquared (6/29/2011)

steve.anderson 7639 (6/29/2011)

I appreciate all of your replies. This is all good stuff, and yes I am relatively new to direct SQL statements vs .NET development in SQL. I am also one to appreciate ISO standards, best practices, etc. so I will study these things at a later time.

Thanks.

Sounds good. Just don't take anythink Celko says too seriously. He has issues with anything that violates "my way or the highway" theories that are important to his personal income. (He writes books on the standards. Nobody would buy them if they didn't feel the need to follow the specific standards he writes books on. Hence, not doing it his way = less books sold = less $ for Joe.)

Establishing and following standards matters. But Joe goes overboard on pushing it, for financial reasons so far as I can tell.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Use Full Links:
    KB Article from Microsoft on how to ask a question on a Forum

• Chad Crawford (6/29/2011)

ALZDBA (6/29/2011)

Chad Crawford (6/28/2011)

Wahoo! My users group just scheduled me to speak in August. Let the stress begin.... ๐Ÿ˜€

This won't hurt either.

Actually it helps to prevent issues when you're actually performing.

Great link! Thanks Johan, that is some awesome advice.

Thanks,

Chad

Don't thank me, I popped the question out of personal interest ! (but with the intention to share)

Thank the ones that provided the great feedback. ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Don't you just love this crowd ? :hehe::smooooth::kiss: ( I do )

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution ๐Ÿ˜€

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• Trey Staker (6/29/2011)

I wish there were ratings on posts, maybe a thumbs up or down on answers like on Ask SCC.

Interesting idea. One effect might be that the frustration people feel could be assuaged by clicking on a down-vote. At the moment there tends to be a bit of a dog-pile - and I'm not sure that's a good thing at all.

• SQLkiwi (6/30/2011)

Trey Staker (6/29/2011)

Interesting idea. One effect might be that the frustration people feel could be assuaged by clicking on a down-vote. At the moment there tends to be a bit of a dog-pile - and I'm not sure that's a good thing at all.

I wouldn't mind seeing something like this put in place. I wouldn't want to take away from our conversations that we have, but some method of designating a good answer would be helpful.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey (6/30/2011)

I wouldn't want to take away from our conversations that we have, but some method of designating a good answer would be helpful.

Absolutely - the conversations are all good. Perhaps Steve won't be keen on the idea because it moves SSC toward ASK and sites like Stack Overflow, don't know. I wonder if he has some developer time at the moment - it may be just me, but things seem to have changed a bit on the site recently - nothing too obvious perhaps, but load times and posting reply times have improved a lot, for me at least. I used to get very frustrated with SSC for that.

• SQLkiwi (6/30/2011)

Perhaps Steve won't be keen on the idea because it moves SSC toward ASK and sites like Stack Overflow, don't know.

Personally, I don't like the StackOverflow model. There's no way to discuss things and every post has the only purpose of avoiding downvotes.

it may be just me, but things seem to have changed a bit on the site recently - nothing too obvious perhaps, but load times and posting reply times have improved a lot, for me at least.

I noticed the same thing. Thumbs up.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Gianluca Sartori (6/30/2011)

Personally, I don't like the StackOverflow model. There's no way to discuss things and every post has the only purpose of avoiding downvotes.

Oh I don't know, I've had a few good discussions via comments to answers, but I take your point - it's certainly not so easy. I don't use SO much, just when someone points me at an interesting question.

• Roy Ernest (6/24/2011)

I tried this. Let us see if that will work.. ๐Ÿ™‚ Looking forward to this vacation. Going with my kids. This is the first time they are going to see India. Hope they see elephants walking on the road. ๐Ÿ™‚

Have a good time. And see many elephants.

Tom

• Stefan Krzywicki (6/28/2011)

Yeah! That article coming out next Thursday has way too many commas!

If I'd seen that comment in time I'd have tried to get Steve to add a few lines of commas.

Tom

• Tom.Thomson (6/30/2011)

Stefan Krzywicki (6/28/2011)

If I'd seen that comment in time I'd have tried to get Steve to add a few lines of commas.

That would have been hilarious.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    Itโ€™s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    Whatโ€™s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Gianluca Sartori (6/29/2011)

One of the worst Celko posts ever.

He must have stepped on dog poop today.

Do me a favor, and translate that to Italian in your post? That's hilarious...

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Stefan Krzywicki (6/30/2011)

Tom.Thomson (6/30/2011)

Stefan Krzywicki (6/28/2011)

That would have been hilarious.

He may be waiting for 2NF......:-D

• SQLkiwi (6/30/2011)

Grant Fritchey (6/30/2011)

I wouldn't want to take away from our conversations that we have, but some method of designating a good answer would be helpful.

Absolutely - the conversations are all good. Perhaps Steve won't be keen on the idea because it moves SSC toward ASK and sites like Stack Overflow, don't know. I wonder if he has some developer time at the moment - it may be just me, but things seem to have changed a bit on the site recently - nothing too obvious perhaps, but load times and posting reply times have improved a lot, for me at least. I used to get very frustrated with SSC for that.

I like some things on SO, like the voting, but I think it could be better. I do dislike losing the flow of the conversation, and over time, many of the comments lose meaning because posts are edited.

• Rolling to the mountains to camp. Everyone behave. Will be back Tue.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (6/30/2011)

Rolling to the mountains to camp. Everyone behave. Will be back Tue.

Have a great camp!

Try not to spend any time worrying if the mountain you're on is a heap. And don't think about the tree's branching algorithyms.

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    Itโ€™s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    Whatโ€™s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

Viewing 15 posts - 27,721 through 27,735 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply