Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Jannie-186227 (7/20/2011)

ahem.

How do you reply to a thread with 23 thousand replies?

Is there any more value to be added in this thread?

Cheers

Jannie

Plenty of value - all watercooler - or at least most of the time. Topics change rapidly.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• GilaMonster (7/20/2011)

Ninja's_RGR'us (7/20/2011)

What's the level of the material you'll be covering? I'm interested but not if you stay in the 100-200 level most of the day... I might get more by fully reading Grant's book.

Aiming for 300 with the occasional dive down deeper. If you prefer the book that's fine.

No I'm seriously considering going to PASS this year. I love the interaction with people and I'd like to meet you again and other regulars.

For 300 I might get enough out of it to justify the trip. @ 100 - 200 it wouldn't make much sense.

• SQLRNNR (7/20/2011)

Jannie-186227 (7/20/2011)

ahem.

Cheers

Jannie

Plenty of value - all watercooler - or at least most of the time. Topics change rapidly.

What topic?? Are we supposed to be talking about anything ;-).

• Stefan Krzywicki (7/20/2011)

Tom.Thomson (7/19/2011)

SQLRNNR (7/19/2011)

When is a table not a table?

OK, it's a table. It maybe has four legs (one at each corner) and a plane top. Or maybe it's one of the other bits of furniture that have a similar function, or perhaps a rectangular section of an EXCEL spreadsheet, things that outside the database world are commonly called tables.

But so far as relational databases are concened, it is certainly not a table. Celko stated very clearly why not: "it has no key, no way to ever have a key". Every column explicitly allows NULL, so that's a true statement.

Yes, MS SQL allows a "table" which could not imaginably be a representation of a relation because every column allows NULL. THat, however, is one of MS SQL's greatest faults. It's quite unusual to discover something like this, on which SQLC members with vastly different views of SQL Server and of Relational Theory like Celko, Steven999, Dave Portas, and myself all agree - there are pretty few things you'll ever get more that two of us to agree on.

Maybe I'm breaking the rules, talking technical on the thread: but Jason asked a technical question, so I've written a technical answer.

Is that part about Server names true? I know database names and tables and columns, etc... don't have to be in Latin-1, but I've never named a server, so I don't know that one.

I think he is just referring to ISO standards. We can name databases, tables, columns etc in various different ways but then they would be non-compliant - according to ISO. Servers don't have to be Latin-1, but I also have never tried naming them using wingdings.

Learn Extended Events

• GilaMonster (7/20/2011)

Grant Fritchey (7/20/2011)

It can only be people who chose to register for one of those other pre-cons... THOSE people.

So at tea break, we run into Rob's session work on reducing his attendance?

Works for me.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Ninja's_RGR'us (7/20/2011)

SQLRNNR (7/20/2011)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ahem.

Cheers

Jannie

What topic?? Are we supposed to be talking about anything .

Great! Now I don't know what were talking about?:crazy:

:cool:

"There are no problems! Only solutions that have yet to be discovered!"

• bopeavy (7/20/2011)

Ninja's_RGR'us (7/20/2011)

SQLRNNR (7/20/2011)

ahem.

Cheers

Jannie

What topic?? Are we supposed to be talking about anything .

Great! Now I don't know what were talking about?:crazy:

We never did!

• Jeff Moden (7/19/2011)

bitbucket-25253 (7/19/2011)

Jeff Moden (7/19/2011)

bitbucket-25253 (7/19/2011)

Having had the pleasure of meeting Jeff Moden, at the speakers / volunteers dinner prior to SQL Sat #60 (Cleveland), let me tell you Jeff is not only an exceptional DBA, he is an exceptional individual and deserves the acolade and recognition.

Gosh, Ron... that's awfully nice of you to say. I wish I had at least half the worldly experience that you do. It was a real pleasure to finally get to meet you after years of “knowing” you. Thank you for being my “personal guide” during the event. I couldn’t have felt more at ease or more at home.

And thanks for all the help with testing for the “Tally Oh!” article. I’m going to need some help on another one coming up… you game?

Am I game for it, heck

Jeff ready willing and hopefully able

I have to warn you... this one is almost as controversial as the Quirky Update. What's worse is that it's fully documented in BOL and people still go into a dead panic when they see it even though it works exactly as advertised. It'll take a bit to finish the article (work has been very busy) and I'll send you a copy for review. The kind of testng I need done is for you to see if you can break it, no holds barred! 🙂

Interest level has just gone up 100%.... 😀

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Jeff Moden (7/19/2011)

WayneS (7/19/2011)

Gianluca Sartori (7/19/2011)

You're one of a kind, Mr. Moden and "Exceptional" is not really enough for you.

So true. He's definitely the Exceptional Exceptional DBA! He continually teaches folks here so much.

I was thanking my lucky stars that they came out with a new version of SQL Server because I'd started to run out of material to write about. Then this guy, by the name of WayneS, starts sending me some excellent articles for review about replacements for the Quirky Update along with tests and performance stats. I'm thinking I might be out of a job on "Running Total" and other "previous row" calculations. 😛

You're a rising star that will quickly surpass us all, Wayne. Thanks for the kind words.

:blush:

Jeff, you've managed to leave me completely speechless. I am truly humbled.

BTW, I've learned more from you than you will ever know. Thank you for being you.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• WayneS (7/20/2011)

Jeff Moden (7/19/2011)

WayneS (7/19/2011)

Gianluca Sartori (7/19/2011)

You're one of a kind, Mr. Moden and "Exceptional" is not really enough for you.

So true. He's definitely the Exceptional Exceptional DBA! He continually teaches folks here so much.

I was thanking my lucky stars that they came out with a new version of SQL Server because I'd started to run out of material to write about. Then this guy, by the name of WayneS, starts sending me some excellent articles for review about replacements for the Quirky Update along with tests and performance stats. I'm thinking I might be out of a job on "Running Total" and other "previous row" calculations. 😛

You're a rising star that will quickly surpass us all, Wayne. Thanks for the kind words.

:blush:

Jeff, you've managed to leave me completely speechless. I am truly humbled.

BTW, I've learned more from you than you will ever know. Thank you for being you.

Superstar.

Seriously though, I need to see this new update method - also need to find that Bankers Rounding thread(s).

Learn Extended Events

• Lynn Pettis (7/19/2011)

My oldest daughter, the one in the Army, is going to have a baby in February. I'm going to be a grandfather.

Unfortunately, I may not get over to Germany when the baby is born as I may not have the funds. Unfortunately, I am also now divorced (final in April) so funds are tight supporting two households.

Congrats, and hope you get to make it over there.

• On a semi-technical note, can I just say that I figured out how to do a JOIN to an UNPIVOT without using a derived table in the mix?

I'm so proud of myself. @=) Of course, I have some dirty data which needs fixed before the result set is good, but I'm still proud of myself.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (7/20/2011)

On a semi-technical note, can I just say that I figured out how to do a JOIN to an UNPIVOT without using a derived table in the mix?

I'm so proud of myself. @=) Of course, I have some dirty data which needs fixed before the result set is good, but I'm still proud of myself.

So where's the demo?

• SQLRNNR (7/20/2011)

...also need to find that Bankers Rounding thread(s).

Nah... it's a total waste of time.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Just for you guys, my new least favorite thing

Viewing 15 posts - 28,231 through 28,245 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply