Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Jack Corbett (7/20/2011)

Quick comments on what I've read in catching up to about 100 posts:

Congrats to Lynn on the first grandchild.

Congrats to Jeff for the Exceptional DBA nomination.

Training:

There is definitely a training gap, but, I don't think there is enough work at this point to do it full-time. Most of the people I know who are working as consultants offer training as part of their consultancy, but it isn't their main income. If you can make enough as a consulant to offer a week of training every month or two you could probably do okay AND build the brand by offering consistent classes.

To the best of my knowledge Andy Warren isn't doing training classes at his place anymore, but is still doing mentoring. I think Brian Knight has rolled all his training into PragmaticWorks.

I think you skipped a few posts :w00t:.

• Ninja's_RGR'us (7/20/2011)

Who's LJE?

Lawrence Joseph Ellison. Has some connection with Oracle.

Tom

• When the Space Shuttle lands, everybody wear ape suits, pass it on.

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. - Stephen Hawking

• Anyone here have experience with Oracle? I'm looking for some data that demonstrates a need to use the RANGE BETWEEN UNBOUNDED PRECEDING AND CURRENT ROW part of the OVER clause.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• mtillman-921105 (7/20/2011)

When the Space Shuttle lands, everybody wear ape suits, pass it on.

Nice : -)

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    --------------------------------------
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• WayneS (7/20/2011)

Anyone here have experience with Oracle? I'm looking for some data that demonstrates a need to use the RANGE BETWEEN UNBOUNDED PRECEDING AND CURRENT ROW part of the OVER clause.

Can't give you data from here, but sounds like a typical running total problem.

• Roy Ernest (7/20/2011)

Isnt this the horse that got injured?

Yep, still kicking.

• Stefan Krzywicki (7/20/2011)

I think that's just Steve's warning to people presenting at PASS to take care of their voices. He's showing what happens when you get a little hoarse.

*groan* (loudly)

• Very interesting read. Seems like a step in the right direction.

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/blogs/jamesserra/archive/2011/07/20/sql-server-_1C20_denali_1D203A00_-new-certifications.aspx

It seems MS is listening...

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• I know times are hard, but a job alert email subscription delivered me the attached vacancy today. For the record, I won't be applying. 😛

Hornet

• WayneS (7/20/2011)

Anyone here have experience with Oracle? I'm looking for some data that demonstrates a need to use the RANGE BETWEEN UNBOUNDED PRECEDING AND CURRENT ROW part of the OVER clause.

(Unfortunately) I have some Oracle instances here. How can I help you?

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Tom.Thomson (7/20/2011)

How do I vote?? I want to vote for LJE (from earlier post, I guess Gianluca might want to too).

Nah... I have nothing against Larry.

Those who buy his products should be executed, instead!

Maybe this is the reason why they're called "Executives"? :hehe:

-- Gianluca Sartori

• hor_netuk (7/21/2011)

I know times are hard, but a job alert email subscription delivered me the attached vacancy today. For the record, I won't be applying. 😛

Hornet

Might be alright for those living in a country with a suitable exchange rate. 😉

Steve.

• Fal (7/21/2011)

hor_netuk (7/21/2011)

I know times are hard, but a job alert email subscription delivered me the attached vacancy today. For the record, I won't be applying. 😛

Hornet

Steve.

I think those countries might even shun that job offer.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Fal (7/21/2011)

hor_netuk (7/21/2011)

Hornet

Steve.

SA:UK it 12:1 exchange rate. I might be able to buy lunch with that. Once.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 15 posts - 28,261 through 28,275 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply