Are the posted questions getting worse?

• I think I just fell in love ...

GilaMonster (7/26/2011)

M.Kahn (7/26/2011)

This is professional site joke not accepts here. Can you answer his question ? so answer in nice way. Otherwise backoff.

Watch the attitude....

• bitbucket-25253 (7/25/2011)

Tom.Thomson (7/25/2011)

Ninja's_RGR'us (7/25/2011)

My question got corrected today and all points awarded back.

It's a little weird ±5 days after the fact and I still don't see the new wording as a better question but anywho! 😉

Another one that needed no correcting. Why do the correct ones get corrected?

I got that one wrong- deservedly.

With my QOD on Precedence -

I just hope that those who complained about wether their was specific data in the table, etc., etc., do not write their own test plans, and test their own code and then when it is placed in production wonder why it does not work.

So to forestall any complaints on another QOD I submitted, it includes creating a schema, a table, code inserting the data, and the settings for auto create stats, update stats. A note stating that the statistics name as used in a DBCC command is the statistic for that table and column. And then finally the question.

Now anyone want to bet that their will NOT be complaints?

That's impossible Bit! People love to complain and that's just a great way to complain about your own biaised opinion :exclamation:

• Ninja's_RGR'us (7/26/2011)

That's impossible Bit! People love to complain and that's just a great way to complain about your own biaised opinion :exclamation:

People don't like to feel stupid, so they often get all up in arms when they answer a question incorrectly - because of the way they processed their own internal experience when they answered the question. So if they find that their assumptions about the question were wrong, it can often compound their feeling stupid - because not only did they get the wrong answer, but the logic that led up to that answer and the assumptions they made were also wrong.

And if they process that wrong answer as feeling stupid, well... that can lead to some interesting discussions.

My personal pet peeve on the subject is that lately it seems that if you even drop into the conversation to discuss an answer or the assumptions made around it you are considered to be complaining. Sometimes true, sometimes not. I'm also trying to figure out when "complaining" on occasion became a horrible thing to do. (Agreed up front that when it's all someone ever does, that's tedious...)

Ah, well. I'm going to complain at myself for not having made coffee yet, then go see what today's QOTD actually is and see what my random bit of SQL education (and the subsequent education about human behavior) for the morning turns out to be.

(Edited to fix a sentence I missed and should have added. Hence the requirement for coffee!)

-Ki

• Can't help it, I have to share. I was doing some Boogling or Ginging, whatever we call it now, when I stumbled across a really scary bit of advice. It's just frightening what's out there.

Be nice. I just had to share.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Kiara (7/26/2011)

Ninja's_RGR'us (7/26/2011)

People don't like to feel stupid, so they often get all up in arms when they answer a question incorrectly - because of the way they processed their own internal experience when they answered the question. So if they find that their assumptions about the question were wrong, it can often compound their feeling stupid - because not only did they get the wrong answer, but the logic that led up to that answer and the assumptions they made were also wrong.

And if they process that wrong answer as feeling stupid, well... that can lead to some interesting discussions.

My personal pet peeve on the subject is that lately it seems that if you even drop into the conversation to discuss an answer or the assumptions made around it you are considered to be complaining. Sometimes true, sometimes not. I'm also trying to figure out when "complaining" on occasion became a horrible thing to do. (Agreed up front that when it's all someone ever does, that's tedious...)

Ah, well. I'm going to complain at myself for not having made coffee yet, then go see what today's QOTD actually is and see what my random bit of SQL education (and the subsequent education about human behavior) for the morning turns out to be.

(Edited to fix a sentence I missed and should have added. Hence the requirement for coffee!)

... Hence they compound the fact by proving they don't know something by commenting over and over about it :w00t:.

Thanks for the tip!

... Hence they compound the fact by proving they don't know something by commenting over and over about it :w00t:.

Thanks for the tip!

:w00t: And now, to clean up the coffee that just met my keyboard... Well said, sir! *applause*

-Ki

• Kiara (7/26/2011)

Ninja's_RGR'us (7/26/2011)

Thanks for the tip!

:w00t: And now, to clean up the coffee that just met my keyboard... Well said, sir! *applause*

... sending some wipes your way :Whistling:

• Once more with feeling anybody?

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1148024-1291-1.aspx

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Grant Fritchey (7/26/2011)

Can't help it, I have to share. I was doing some Boogling or Ginging, whatever we call it now, when I stumbled across a really scary bit of advice. It's just frightening what's out there.

I love the "Do not use indexes on tables that you update often" part. :hehe:

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Gianluca Sartori (7/26/2011)

Grant Fritchey (7/26/2011)

Can't help it, I have to share. I was doing some Boogling or Ginging, whatever we call it now, when I stumbled across a really scary bit of advice. It's just frightening what's out there.

Yeah, luckily I'm behind on preparing my morning coffee or I would have sprayed it across the screen.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

Also, in the "Related Articles" box: Cleaning Flat screens and LCDs.

I haven't read it yet, but I suspect they advise using sandpaper. :hehe:

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Gianluca Sartori (7/26/2011)

Also, in the "Related Articles" box: Cleaning Flat screens and LCDs.

I haven't read it yet, but I suspect they advise using sandpaper. :hehe:

Nope, a sandblaster performs better at that particular cleanup task.

Right after the machine gun.

Talk about using an atomic bomb to kill a fly!

• GilaMonster (7/26/2011)

Once more with feeling anybody?

Maybe it's time to add your mvp title back to your sig! 😉

GilaMonster (7/26/2011)

Once more with feeling anybody?

Maybe it's time to add your mvp title back to your sig! 😉

Actually not a bad idea. I do at SQLTeam and it seems I get less disagreement...

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

Gianluca Sartori (7/26/2011)

Yeah, luckily I'm behind on preparing my morning coffee or I would have sprayed it across the screen.

I'd comment, but it might be a little abrasive...

Gail Shaw

Viewing 15 posts - 28,366 through 28,380 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply