Are the posted questions getting worse?

• GilaMonster (7/26/2011)

I'd comment, but it might be a little abrasive...

* groan *

Grant Fritchey (7/26/2011)

Gianluca Sartori (7/26/2011)

Can't help it, I have to share. I was doing some Boogling or Ginging, whatever we call it now, when I stumbled across a really scary bit of advice. It's just frightening what's out there.

Be nice. I just had to share.

I love the "Do not use indexes on tables that you update often" part. :hehe:

Yeah, luckily I'm behind on preparing my morning coffee or I would have sprayed it across the screen.

Oh! That would be perfect for the cleaning LCD article! :w00t:

EDIT: unable to type today

-- Gianluca Sartori

• SQLkiwi (7/26/2011)

GilaMonster (7/26/2011)

* groan *

Pun not intended.... 😀

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Grant Fritchey (7/26/2011)

Can't help it, I have to share. I was doing some Boogling or Ginging, whatever we call it now, when I stumbled across a really scary bit of advice. It's just frightening what's out there.

People may start wondering what all the fuzz is about, because that article just explained it using three headlines and about 10 lines detail.

About the poster:

....My profession is Database Administration. ......

Now that's what I call frightening

Other great advise of this olakos2000: What to wear to a beach wedding

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• ALZDBA (7/26/2011)

People may start wondering what all the fuzz is about, because that article just explained it using three headlines and about 10 lines detail.

About the poster:

....My profession is Database Administration. ......

Now that's what I call frightening

Other great advise of this olakos2000: What to wear to a beach wedding

That looks like an affiliate marketer who's paid 5$ per article for an India writer. He's either doing that for advertising or improve the value of other sites.

He's definitely not an [Expert] DBA.

• Gianluca Sartori (7/26/2011)

I love the "Do not use indexes on tables that you update often" part. :hehe:

What! @@! Oh, dear... So that index I added yesterday that took an ungodly amount of time to create was a bad idea? Even though it <insert appropriate performance improvement here>, and didn't have a noticeable-to-the-users impact on inserts?

Oh, dear. I guess I should have used a nolock hint. It's just financial data, after all...

Hm. Just realized I tested that query in my dev environment, and then in my test environment before moving it into production. I probably shouldn't do all that extra work next time, either...</sarcasm>

Why, yes, I need more coffee. Ninja cost me half the last cup. Why do you ask? 😉

-Ki

It's frightful.

Slightly redeemed by the advice to "use a professional", as any professional will tell you to follow none of the rest of it.

Tom

• Tom.Thomson (7/25/2011)

...Why do the correct ones get corrected?

Meh! Moderator's perogative 😉

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

I like the indexing advice. "Use indexes but don't use indexes." It doesn't get more definite and positive than that.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

SQLkiwi (7/26/2011)

GilaMonster (7/26/2011)

* groan *

Pun not intended.... 😀

Why do I not believe you on that point? 😀

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

Yeah, luckily I'm behind on preparing my morning coffee...

After meeting you, don't know why but it conjures up an image of you in a pinny...

whoa! too much information

aaaagh!! stack overflow

tilt..... :crazy:

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• Tom.Thomson (7/26/2011)

It's frightful.

Slightly redeemed by the advice to "use a professional", as any professional will tell you to follow none of the rest of it.

One of these days, I really will get my mind out of the gutter. But not today. I had the idea they meant "use a professional" because, hey, if you follow their advice, your database will be f***ed, and you might as well be too. (Steve, if I just went too far, feel free to delete.)

Property of The Thread

• GSquared (7/26/2011)

GilaMonster (7/26/2011)

SQLkiwi (7/26/2011)

GilaMonster (7/26/2011)

* groan *

Pun not intended.... 😀

Why do I not believe you on that point? 😀

Seriously, I didn't. For a moment, when I read Paul's reply, I was wondering why he was groaning, then I remembered the sandblast comments.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GSquared (7/26/2011)

Tom.Thomson (7/26/2011)

It's frightful.

One of these days, I really will get my mind out of the gutter. But not today. I had the idea they meant "use a professional" because, hey, if you follow their advice, your database will be f***ed, and you might as well be too. (Steve, if I just went too far, feel free to delete.)

Not too far in my book. So why are we not allowed to talk about the feds now? :hehe:

I love this reply:

The only good advice here is "You should use a professional to take care of SQL server.".

Which sums up that link pretty good.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

Viewing 15 posts - 28,381 through 28,395 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply