Are the posted questions getting worse?

• GilaMonster (9/29/2011)

SQLRNNR (9/29/2011)

Grant Fritchey (9/29/2011)

Evil Kraig F (9/29/2011)

GilaMonster (9/29/2011)

Wooooooooot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 years, many, many weekends, late nights and a mad rush to the end (and I'm not even counting the ones Jonathan did), it's here

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/books/76296/

Awesome Gail, glad to see at least one of your projects has gone well, even if exhausting to get there! :w00t:

Ask me that question next April when I've got some spare time again.

Do you really think you will have free time in April? That seems a bit optimistic:-D

No. He didn't say which April.

Point taken

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Gail / Grant - are the sessions that you'll are doing during the 3-day portion of the summit going to be covered during your precon?

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• WayneS (9/29/2011)

Gail / Grant - are the sessions that you'll are doing during the 3-day portion of the summit going to be covered during your precon?

No, different material, different topic. If I were to do that, it'd be cheating the people paying for the pre-con.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • WayneS (9/29/2011)

Gail / Grant - are the sessions that you'll are doing during the 3-day portion of the summit going to be covered during your precon?

Tiny amount of cross-over, very tiny. You might see some DMO use during the precon, but it'll be very, very slight whereas that's all I do during my spotlight session.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Hey guys, Jack's got me flabbergasted over here. Anyone else familiar with SSIS and connection failures want to take a swing?

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• GSquared (9/27/2011)

He wrote that he considers it safe to assume Amazon is in compliance. You said it's unreasonable for him to assume that.

Let's examine these two claims. For his to be reasonable, we assume the following:

1. There are laws about workplace safety that are pretty comprehensive.

2. There are laws that make it reasonably safe to annonymously report violations of those safety laws.

3. Most humans have strong self-preservation urges.

4. There are communication systems in the US that make reporting these violations very, very easy.

5. Reports of such violations are usually followed up pretty rigorously by government officials who have a vested interest in making sure they are fixed. (Note, I said "usually", not "universally", since I know you'll have a compulsion to nitpick that point.)

Been out of touch for a week (Mon afternoon I disabled the router and forswore internet, enabled it just now), find myself amazed by this discussion.

Gus, I have no reason at all not to believe that your points 1 and 2 are utter balderdash. The laws are not pretty comprehensive if they are cheaply violated because breaking them is not detected; it is not detected because the protection or whistle blowers is pretty well non-existent, so as Stefan pointed out it is effectively suicide to blow the whistle. Things are marginally better in left pond lands, but we still have the same problems, just somewhat mitigated by the recognition by our various legal systems that active verification by regulatory authorities (various branches of government) is necessary.

I won't list any counterexamples on your point 5; there's no point, is there?

On point 4, what is the likelihood that if an investigation is undertaken by the appropriate authority into a compoany as a result of a report, the company will discover who provided that report? Reporting is not "very, very easy" when there is a high probability of lack of anonymity - unless you think that the employee must somehow by magic be aware whether what he is reporting will be determined to be a real violation or not, since if it is not he will almost certainly lose his job. What guarantee does he have even when what he reports is a real violation that he will be able to continue his employment? - after all, he will have royally pissed off many of his superiors; short term maybe he has no problem - it would looke pretty nasty - but longer term?

So that leaves your point 3 as the only valid point (point 5 isn't valid for any scientist, as you clearly state that it isn't refutable by evidence). And point 3 goes both ways - self-preservation may include preserving one's means of earning some pay.

Tom

• SQL Kiwi (9/28/2011)

GSquared (9/28/2011)

SQL Kiwi (9/28/2011)

WayneS (9/27/2011)

• DBA Certification preferred in SQL Server versions 2000, 2005, and 2008.

• SQL Server DBA Certification 2000, 2005, 2008 is a plus

Sigh.

What's wrong with asking for two certs in each???

I'm only going to pursue this because I know Steve enjoys a good debate on the finer points of phrasing and language...

On reflection, perhaps these two bullets are asking for different things. The first seems to imply that certifications in all three of 2000, 2005, and 2008 would be preferred. The second condition reads to me as if 2000 and 2005 are definitely required, but 2008 would be beneficial.

Tom, where are you?

I was hiding from these interwebby things, but now I've come back.

I will comment on this thing, although so late:

Any such certification is a clear and absolute minus, because it risks you ending up working for an outfit that regards it as a plus.

Tom

• L' Eomot Inversé (9/30/2011)

Any such certification is a clear and absolute minus, because it risks you ending up working for an outfit that regards it as a plus.

If SSC had an 'upvote' feature, I would have clicked it for this 🙂

• Brandie Tarvin (9/28/2011)

Speaking of writing, follow this link if you like high fantasy and want to read a story (for free!) from me. http://www.storyportals.com/series/katya-lady-assassin

Why, yes. This is a shameless self-promotion plug!

As long as it's not shameful, self-promotion is no bad thing. And I liked the story.

However, the series blurb is appalling; whoever wrote that needs to attend a good course on the English language and in particular how its punctuation works. If you read that thing out loud with the pauses indicated bythe punctuation you'll see thast it makes no sense. If however you ignore the punctuation and guess where the pauses might be it sort of makes sense.

Tom

• GilaMonster (9/29/2011)

SQLRNNR (9/29/2011)

Grant Fritchey (9/29/2011)

Ask me that question next April when I've got some spare time again.

Do you really think you will have free time in April? That seems a bit optimistic:-D

No. He didn't say which April.

Yeah, maybe he's planning to use DBCC time-warp to spend some time in April 1946, which he knows will be free time becuase he had no commitments back then.

Tom

• Okay, for $250 - $750 USD I want the following:

Need Software with following modules and features...

Helpdesk

Patient Registration and Appointment Scheduling Module

Outpatient Management Module

Doctor’s workbench/ CPOE

Inpatient and Ward Management

Patient Billing & Insurance Module

Pharmacy Module

General Stores/ Inventory

Laboratory Information System

Radiology Management Module

Electronic Medical Record (EMR)

Dietary Module

House Keeping Module

Nursing Module

Emergency Management

Machine Maintenance

CSSD

Blood Bank

Financial Accounting Module

Fixed Asset Module

Payroll Module

MIS Dashboard

Services Module

User Manager Module (security workflow)

If you are willing to to do this, go here.

• Lynn Pettis (9/30/2011)

Okay, for $250 - $750 USD I want the following:

... an entire software suite from the land of the gods...

The scarier part is he's got 8 bids already. I can only imagine what the quality of that is going to be like.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Evil Kraig F (10/1/2011)

Lynn Pettis (9/30/2011)

The scarier part is he's got 8 bids already. I can only imagine what the quality of that is going to be like.

If your business model is very simple and standardazied, you can download and configure great open source software for free.

You can even get a complete ERP suite for free, given that you stick to the standards. Want some customization? Code your own and commit to source control.

Lots of companies that rely on OS software bill you just the consulting, which I suspect is the biggest part of this kind of project.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Gianluca Sartori (10/1/2011)

Evil Kraig F (10/1/2011)

Lynn Pettis (9/30/2011)

If your business model is very simple and standardazied, you can download and configure great open source software for free.

You can even get a complete ERP suite for free, given that you stick to the standards. Want some customization? Code your own and commit to source control.

Lots of companies that rely on OS software bill you just the consulting, which I suspect is the biggest part of this kind of project.

I've seen 2 MS implantations and what their team lead told me is that they figure 1 TO 1.5X the software cost in consultation fees (that's training + customizations). The basic software starts at a minimum price + 5K / user. So it ramps up really fast to 1M $ with only 75 to 100 users.

• Hey guys I got some really cool news today. I was awarded MVP status!

I just hope I can honor that award the way that all the MVP's on here already do!

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

Viewing 15 posts - 30,451 through 30,465 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply