Are the posted questions getting worse?

• What's funny is that it seems that people see the devices so differently. My wife misses her Blackberry, but likes her Android (Samsung Galaxy S, Android) more than her iPhone 4. She thinks Android has a better keyboard and UI. I think the iPhone 4 has better response for me than her Android, though they are close. The kids like the iPhone overall, but don't miss a beat using the Android.

• ChrisM@Work (10/25/2011)

Which phone did you settle for, Brandie?

I was looking at the iPhone 4S, but the only ones that Sprint had left were the 64GB and I didn't have the cash. Also, the only reason to go iPhone was that I could sync my work email with it (approved device) and the App Store security (all apps must be approved).

The first one wasn't much of a selling point. The second one I waffled on because there may be apps I want to get that don't have the mark of Apple Approval. But there's that nagging "I might download a virus from the app store" thought in my head over the whole open Android market. In the end, I decided that I could research the apps before I bought / downloaded them and $99.00 for a phone was a way better price point than $400.00.

So I went with the newly unveiled (as of Sunday), HTC Evo Design.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (10/25/2011)

ChrisM@Work (10/25/2011)

I was looking at the iPhone 4S, but the only ones that Sprint had left were the 64GB and I didn't have the cash. Also, the only reason to go iPhone was that I could sync my work email with it (approved device) and the App Store security (all apps must be approved).

The first one wasn't much of a selling point. The second one I waffled on because there may be apps I want to get that don't have the mark of Apple Approval. But there's that nagging "I might download a virus from the app store" thought in my head over the whole open Android market. In the end, I decided that I could research the apps before I bought / downloaded them and $99.00 for a phone was a way better price point than $400.00.

Yeah, 1/4 the price is a big selling point alright.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    --------------------------------------
    Itโ€™s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    Whatโ€™s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Brandie Tarvin (10/25/2011)

ChrisM@Work (10/25/2011)

Yeah big selling point. Plus, for a couple of bucks you can buy AV software for your android.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• I recently went with the iPhone4S. I looked at a lot of folks Androids (and they are some really sweet smartphones!), but in the end the selling point for me was that I already have an iPad that I really love. The compatibility between them, and the sharing that is done with the new Messaging, was the big convincing thing for me.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• WayneS (10/25/2011)

I recently went with the iPhone4S. I looked at a lot of folks Androids (and they are some really sweet smartphones!), but in the end the selling point for me was that I already have an iPad that I really love. The compatibility between them, and the sharing that is done with the new Messaging, was the big convincing thing for me.

Uh huh - sure.:-D

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (10/25/2011)

Plus, for a couple of bucks you can buy AV software for your android.

Thank you for saying that. I completely forgot that I might need AV software for my phone because my other phones weren't smart enough to need it.

Researching AV options now.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• SQLRNNR (10/25/2011)

ChrisM@Work (10/25/2011)

Brandie Tarvin (10/25/2011)

ChrisM@Work (10/25/2011)

Brandie Tarvin (10/25/2011)

Got my new smart phone. Setting up my tethering connection now. Thanks for all the help.

A nice pair of ski socks will prevent abrasion of the ankle :hehe:

I know where you post, Sir. (@Thwack!)

@=)

Ouch!! - but it was worth it ๐Ÿ˜‰

Please don't say IPhone

So what do all these smart-phone phans think of people like me (distinctly unsmart phone - a Nokia from a long time ago, with intention to downgrade to an even older model when this one dies) or my wife (my aged Nokia was hers originally, but it was too high tech for her so I swapped it for my much older one - and when that died, I bought her an even older one). And what do we think of them (the smartphone users)? Without the extra row and column the matrix is incomplete.

Tom

• Heh Tom, I'm with you.

I still run a Sprint Treo (Palm OS). It's amazing. It makes phone calls and gets my email. When I actually kept a check register it did that just fine. Shopping list, no problem.

Good to go, though no Angry Birds.

*shrugs* I believe we're in the realm of the eccentric nut. ๐Ÿ˜€

(I'll give the new phones 4G vs. 3G speeds though when I'm trying to check NFL scores...)

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Nothing wrong with basic phones, despite what my kids think. If you use it to just make calls, or text a bit, that's fine.

However for me, I'm more productive. I can get things done when I need to and am mobile. Works for me. My vet is leaving his Palm, not because it doesn't work, but because he can add some services, like credit card acceptance, out on the road if he moves to iOS or Android.

If you can take advantage of the phone, in excess of the $$ for a data plan, fine. If it isn't needed, why bother. Grab a nice basic phone. Some of the pre-paid ones are even making great deals if you don't use the phone every day.

• Hahah. Tom - that is a great picture of the various smartphone users.

I upgraded my iPhone 3GS with a..... yep, iPhone 4S. For me, the prospects of texting while driving via talking to my phone, along with checking my calendar and reminders. Aaahhh. It is GREAT. I am very pleased so far. I'm in love so much that I refer to Siri as "My Girlfriend". My wife lets me have one - so long as it's Siri.

I tried an android tablet (Galaxy 10.1) but was less than impressed. Felt like a beta iPad 1, which was the wrong direction for me. I'm sticking with iPad devices (for now) and I'll see what the Android market has to offer with each new release.

Jim Murphy
    http://www.sqlwatchmen.com
    @SQLMurph

• I am a BB guy. In our island iPhines are not that common. Androids are there but you will see more BB. Everyone loves the messenger service of BB.

-Roy

• I'm stumped...and it's been awhile since I've been stumped. Can someone look at this thread and help me?

User Defined types...ugh

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Use Full Links:
    KB Article from Microsoft on how to ask a question on a Forum

• Trey Staker (10/25/2011)

I'm stumped...and it's been awhile since I've been stumped. Can someone look at this thread and help me?

User Defined types...ugh

Someone answered it already and their answer works but I'm confused a little by why you have to grant view definitions to the user for RDO connections but don't for ADO connections.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Use Full Links:
    KB Article from Microsoft on how to ask a question on a Forum

• Roy Ernest (10/25/2011)

I am a BB guy. In our island iPhines are not that common. Androids are there but you will see more BB. Everyone loves the messenger service of BB.

Looks like you're safe from Hurricane Rina?

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

Viewing 15 posts - 31,156 through 31,170 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply