Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Jim Murphy (10/25/2011)

I upgraded my iPhone 3GS with a..... yep, iPhone 4S. For me, the prospects of texting while driving via talking to my phone, along with checking my calendar and reminders. Aaahhh. It is GREAT. I am very pleased so far. I'm in love so much that I refer to Siri as "My Girlfriend". My wife lets me have one - so long as it's Siri.

In most of the EU, that's a straight route (if you are caught doing it - even worse if you have an accident when doing it) to having your driving license revoked and a large-ish fine and maybe even a jail term too. Maybe that's part of why we (do or maybe claim to - I can't be bothered to research the figues, so maybe what I believe is just urban myth) kill so many fewer people per mile driven here than you people do in the US?

Tom

• In the UK it isn't illegal to use a hands-free mobile phone system, although it isn't recommended (Highway Code - para 149). Research has shown that even hands-free is a severe distraction as you're concentrating more on the conversation than the driving.

The penalties in this country are quite severe for using a hand-held device for making a call, but you still see it an inordinate amount.

And I'm even more fascinated by those people that hold a phone in one hand against their ear on the opposite side. What's that all about?

Steve Hall
    Linkedin
    Blog Site

• Brandie Tarvin (10/25/2011)

So I went with the newly unveiled (as of Sunday), HTC Evo Design.

I've had two HTC phones, the XDA and the XDA IIs. Both performed really well and tolerated a ton of abuse and punishment without complaint. Siri would be impressed. I use an iPhone 3 currently and won't change until something comes along with a screen which is at least 25% larger but of the same quality as the iPhone 4. Your new phone, at 4", isn't far off.

It's interesting to note how little the iPhone offers over the XDA IIs, in terms of everyday usage.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Do we have a would-be Celko here? A somewhat style-less and inept one, perhaps, but...

Tom

• ChrisM@Work (10/26/2011)

Brandie Tarvin (10/25/2011)

So I went with the newly unveiled (as of Sunday), HTC Evo Design.

I've had two HTC phones, the XDA and the XDA IIs. Both performed really well and tolerated a ton of abuse and punishment without complaint. Siri would be impressed. I use an iPhone 3 currently and won't change until something comes along with a screen which is at least 25% larger but of the same quality as the iPhone 4. Your new phone, at 4", isn't far off.

It's interesting to note how little the iPhone offers over the XDA IIs, in terms of everyday usage.

I've owned an XDA II and XDA Orbit and I see the Iphone as a massive improvement. Yes the XDA's had gps built in and the ability to download apps, albeit long winded. The old Win 2k3 phone OS was a nightmare for stability and intuitive use. Basically a PC on a phone screen.

Not having to use a stylus and a multi touch screen was the key improvement and the sheer volume of useful apps in the appstore sold it to me 19 months ago.

I've had my 4S for over a week now and its not a huge improvement over my 3GS but there are some nice little features like the improved camera. I mainly got it as I was going to cancel my contract and I got a good offer for a 64GB to stay.

:Whistling:I have to admit I'm turning into a bit of an Apple fan as I bought an ATV2 the other week and love the way I can switch between systems using my phone and PC.

• BrainDonor (10/26/2011)...

And I'm even more fascinated by those people that hold a phone in one hand against their ear on the opposite side. What's that all about?

I can understand that (not that I endorse being on the phone while driving). I hardly ever put the phone to my right ear, because I'm right-handed and can't take notes with my left hand while on the phone (and maybe because my left ear is in a better condition than my right one). So if I were on the phone while driving, and have to shift gears, I'd first move my left hand to my right ear keeping my right hand on the wheel, while squeezing the phone between my right ear and shoulder, shift gears with my left, then grabbing across with my left hand again to get the phone back to its more comfortable position. 😉 :w00t:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• L' Eomot Inversé (10/26/2011)

Do we have a would-be Celko here? A somewhat style-less and inept one, perhaps, but...

Celko's less personally offensive. This guy would benefit from a warning shot across the bows.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• ChrisM@Work (10/26/2011)

L' Eomot Inversé (10/26/2011)

Do we have a would-be Celko here? A somewhat style-less and inept one, perhaps, but...

Celko's less personally offensive. This guy would benefit from a warning shot across the bows.

My message not clear enough (still trying to keep it professional)?

• WayneS (10/25/2011)

Roy Ernest (10/25/2011)

I am a BB guy. In our island iPhines are not that common. Androids are there but you will see more BB. Everyone loves the messenger service of BB.

Looks like you're safe from Hurricane Rina?

Rina never came near our island. We are usually spared of hurricane attacks. They all go north of our island.

-Roy

• I thought we'd hijacked that thread enough, so I've moved over here:

Ninja's_RGR'us (10/26/2011)

BrainDonor (10/26/2011)

Available now over there, but not over here. By the time it was shipped over I could probably get it over here now and that also requires some additional effort on my part. Two more days until publication over here, apparently.

It feels like I ordered it months ago. Still picking bits out of the first book.

Ebook is instant download and AFAIK the link I gave you doesn't discriminate on location.

No no no no no - if it doesn't make the bookshelf bend then it isn't worth buying. I haven't yet moved to ebooks (unless it's a free pdf from Redgate or suchlike) because I still haven't found anything that I really like.

I still like the tactile element of reading a book too and can just flick through a technical book in idle moments, whereas with an electronic version I just can't be bothered. Now if I was travelling a lot for business then I'd change my mind, but I like the pile of books on my work desk and the seven packed bookcases at home - they're my friends.

My wife has another opinion of course, so I must be wrong.

Steve Hall
    Linkedin
    Blog Site

• You're right. The information so so much wronger in the ebook version.

Wait another month before you get the "good" stuff.

:hehe:

P.S. Did I mention you're wife is right?

• BrainDonor (10/26/2011)

No no no no no - if it doesn't make the bookshelf bend then it isn't worth buying. I haven't yet moved to ebooks (unless it's a free pdf from Redgate or suchlike) because I still haven't found anything that I really like.

The point we're trying to make is that Manning (Deep Dives 2) is not ebook or paper book. It's ebook AND paper book.

For $59.99 you get the paper book (sent to you slowly) and the ebook to start reading immediately. If you buy the book off Amazon you're paying the same and you can only get the ebook after the paper book arrives (there's a code inside)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Stefan Krzywicki (10/25/2011)

SQLRNNR (10/25/2011)

ChrisM@Work (10/25/2011)

ChrisM@Work (10/25/2011)

Got my new smart phone. Setting up my tethering connection now. Thanks for all the help.

A nice pair of ski socks will prevent abrasion of the ankle :hehe:

I know where you post, Sir. (@Thwack!)

@=)

Ouch!! - but it was worth it 😉

Which phone did you settle for, Brandie?

Please don't say IPhone

Funny, the few Android users I know are mostly women. iPhone is split pretty evenly between the sexes and Blackberry users only use it because the company provides the phone and gets to choose.

Droid Bionic here. I have an iPad2 - and I just don't like it all that much.

-Ki

• GilaMonster (10/26/2011)

BrainDonor (10/26/2011)

The point we're trying to make is that Manning (Deep Dives 2) is not ebook or paper book. It's ebook AND paper book.

For $59.99 you get the paper book (sent to you slowly) and the ebook to start reading immediately. If you buy the book off Amazon you're paying the same and you can only get the ebook after the paper book arrives (there's a code inside)

Oh, I didn't notice that. Thank you very much for pointing that out.

I still have time to cancel my Amazon order...

Steve Hall
    Linkedin
    Blog Site

• Kiara (10/26/2011)

Stefan Krzywicki (10/25/2011)

SQLRNNR (10/25/2011)

ChrisM@Work (10/25/2011)

ChrisM@Work (10/25/2011)

Got my new smart phone. Setting up my tethering connection now. Thanks for all the help.

A nice pair of ski socks will prevent abrasion of the ankle :hehe:

I know where you post, Sir. (@Thwack!)

@=)

Ouch!! - but it was worth it 😉

Which phone did you settle for, Brandie?

Please don't say IPhone

Funny, the few Android users I know are mostly women. iPhone is split pretty evenly between the sexes and Blackberry users only use it because the company provides the phone and gets to choose.

Droid Bionic here. I have an iPad2 - and I just don't like it all that much.

What dont you like about it? Everyone I know that has one loves it, so I'd be interested in hearing a different opinion.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    --------------------------------------
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

Viewing 15 posts - 31,171 through 31,185 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply