• SQLRNNR (11/16/2011)

Brandie Tarvin (11/16/2011)

L' Eomot Inversé (11/16/2011)

Ninja's_RGR'us (11/16/2011)

I got to remember that one!

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1206736-391-1.aspx

GilaMonster (11/16/2011)

ashuthinks (11/16/2011)

i.m just using this stored procedure for reporting purpose..

please let me know my usage is at right or not?

Since when does reporting run deletes?

Why are you so determined to use this hint? It's not as if you're paid by the number of keywords or features that you use.

Definitely one to be treasured!

May I just say that at least one of us on this thread DOES get paid by the word on some of her jobs? 😉

And not much at that, so I have to cram as much BS in as I can.

What is really amazing is that I actually get paid to lie to people for a living... except I'm not making much of a living at it. @=( (Pity me)

So you work for the CIA?

No, she can't be, she says she's not making much of a living at it and CIA people get paid lots. Oh, wait a minute, perhaps she's lying on that, too? 😛

Tom

• CIA is intechangable with many agencies! 😉

• Ninja's_RGR'us (11/16/2011)

CIA is intechangable with many agencies! 😉

Dangnabbit! You caught me. Yes, I do work for the Celestial Intervention Agency...

Darned humans. You're too clever by half.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (11/16/2011)

Dangnabbit! You caught me. Yes, I do work for the Celestial Intervention Agency...

Tell us something we don't know.

:alien:

That's a dangerous thing to suggest to an operative of the Celestial Intervention Agency.

Also it's far too easy for them to do that, for example she could just say "you don't know how many of us can dance on the head of a pin".

Tom

• L' Eomot Inversé (11/16/2011)

That's a dangerous thing to suggest to an operative of the Celestial Intervention Agency.

Also it's far too easy for them to do that, for example she could just say "you don't know how many of us can dance on the head of a pin".

Whenver I see or hear "tell us something we don't know", I always think you're supposed to supply the answer, not the question. Like "The first shipment of nitro-glycerine that was sent to San Francisco to help blast tunnels through the mountains for the first trans-continental rail line exploded and sank a ship off the shore of Panama where it was to be moved overland. A later shipment blew up the customs house in SF where they'd brought a leaky box, not knowing what was in it. Later nitro-glycerine would be made safer by incorporating it into dynamite."

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Stefan Krzywicki (11/16/2011)

Whenver I see or hear "tell us something we don't know", I always think you're supposed to supply the answer, not the question. Like "The first shipment of nitro-glycerine that was sent to San Francisco to help blast tunnels through the mountains for the first trans-continental rail line exploded and sank a ship off the shore of Panama where it was to be moved overland. A later shipment blew up the customs house in SF where they'd brought a leaky box, not knowing what was in it. Later nitro-glycerine would be made safer by incorporating it into dynamite."

WHILE 1=1

exec dbo.PostToTheThread @Msg = 'Tell us something we don''t know', @QuoteUser = 'Stefan something', @Autoquote = 'ON'

Have a nice one 😀

• Stefan Krzywicki (11/16/2011)

Well, maybe in many contexts it means that.

But it was Remi who said it, and in the thread, and the combination of those two factors seems to me to require the most perverse available interpretation of the words.

Besides, if I had interpreted it your way I wouldn't have been able to imagine Brandie dancing while packed with others onto the head of a very crowded pin like sardines packed into a rolltop tin.

Tom

Stefan Krzywicki (11/16/2011)

Well, maybe in many contexts it means that.

But it was Remi who said it, and in the thread, and the combination of those two factors seems to me to require the most perverse available interpretation of the words.

Besides, if I had interpreted it your way I wouldn't have been able to imagine Brandie dancing while packed with others onto the head of a very crowded pin like sardines packed into a rolltop tin.

You have many good points here! I sit corrected.

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.

So I'm perverse now?

What else do you guys think of me :w00t::hehe::-D

So I'm perverse now?

Remi, You really dont want to know the answer to that...:-P

-Roy

• Roy Ernest (11/16/2011)

So I'm perverse now?

Remi, You really dont want to know the answer to that...:-P

I'm perverse enough to want to, apparently:exclamation:

:hehe:

• Why, what would you guys do in his shoes?

Dev (11/16/2011)

I had one of those. I sat down with the architect and explained to him what NoLock actually did and what effects it could have. The standards document was updated the next day. Most places that 'require' this simply don't know what it actually does and will be horrified when they realise what it actually does.

@Gail: We tried it but didn't work out. Their statement is firm "We are fine with Dirty Reads". The worst part is it’s a Financial Domain project. :unsure:

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost1206965.aspx

Why, what would you guys do in his shoes?

Dev (11/16/2011)

I had one of those. I sat down with the architect and explained to him what NoLock actually did and what effects it could have. The standards document was updated the next day. Most places that 'require' this simply don't know what it actually does and will be horrified when they realise what it actually does.

@Gail: We tried it but didn't work out. Their statement is firm "We are fine with Dirty Reads". The worst part is it’s a Financial Domain project. :unsure:

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost1206965.aspx

I've had that kind of problem on projects in the past. I usually make my case as strongly as I can, push it for a little longer than I should and if they insist, I ask for it in writing with their boss copied on the email and tell them I won't do anything until I get it. If it is at that point, I've usually given my agencies a heads up that I might be looking soon.

Viewing 15 posts - 31,831 through 31,845 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply