Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Ninja's_RGR'us (11/16/2011)

Why, what would you guys do in his shoes?

Dev (11/16/2011)

I had one of those. I sat down with the architect and explained to him what NoLock actually did and what effects it could have. The standards document was updated the next day. Most places that 'require' this simply don't know what it actually does and will be horrified when they realise what it actually does.

@Gail: We tried it but didn't work out. Their statement is firm "We are fine with Dirty Reads". The worst part is it’s a Financial Domain project. :unsure:

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost1206965.aspx

Ran into that excuse recently myself. I told them of the problems and the best solution is to perf tune the queries. They said that will have to wait and they could deal with the data being inaccurate.

All I could do was say "ok"

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Roy Ernest (11/16/2011)

Ninja's_RGR'us (11/16/2011)

L' Eomot Inversé (11/16/2011)

But it was Remi who said it, and in the thread, and the combination of those two factors seems to me to require the most perverse available interpretation of the words.

So I'm perverse now?

What else do you guys think of me :w00t::hehe::-D

Remi, You really dont want to know the answer to that...:-P

Well, didn't he say he wanted us to tell him something he doesn't know? Looks like this would fit that bill.

Alternatively, for a list of things you don't know:

Hydrogen is the heaviest element in the universe.

Light is the slowest thing known to man.

These three statements have a quantum ability to be both true and false at the same time.

Does that list work?

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Remember the guy with the missing CPUs?

I figured out what his problem is: Tech Support Response[/url]

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• SQLRNNR (11/16/2011)

Why, what would you guys do in his shoes?

Dev (11/16/2011)

I had one of those. I sat down with the architect and explained to him what NoLock actually did and what effects it could have. The standards document was updated the next day. Most places that 'require' this simply don't know what it actually does and will be horrified when they realise what it actually does.

@Gail: We tried it but didn't work out. Their statement is firm "We are fine with Dirty Reads". The worst part is it’s a Financial Domain project. :unsure:

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost1206965.aspx

Ran into that excuse recently myself. I told them of the problems and the best solution is to perf tune the queries. They said that will have to wait and they could deal with the data being inaccurate.

All I could do was say "ok"

At the interview for one of my previous projects, the interviewer said:

"We know you have some experience with SQL Server, but you cannot change database design. Leave it alone..."

That was quite a red flag, but then I took a look at the queries: NO_LOCK all over the place. Their response: "Meh, we're ok with dirty reads."

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Brandie Tarvin (11/16/2011)

Remember the guy with the missing CPUs?

Nice. :crazy::Whistling:

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• GSquared (11/16/2011)

Roy Ernest (11/16/2011)

But it was Remi who said it, and in the thread, and the combination of those two factors seems to me to require the most perverse available interpretation of the words.

So I'm perverse now?

Well, didn't he say he wanted us to tell him something he doesn't know? Looks like this would fit that bill.

These three statements have a quantum ability to be both true and false at the same time.

Does that list work?

Yup, how is light the slowest thing known to man?

GSquared (11/16/2011)

Roy Ernest (11/16/2011)

So I'm perverse now?

Does that list work?

<obvious joke> Indeed, isn't a RBAR query to slowest thing known to man? </obvious joke>

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

GSquared (11/16/2011)

Roy Ernest (11/16/2011)

So I'm perverse now?

Does that list work?

Answer all of them:

Hydrogen is by far the most common element, and makes the majority of the electromagnetic mass of the universe, hence the heaviest. Most would think this refers to mass as per periodic table, hence the statement is false also.

Per Relativity, all viewpoints are still, and all viewpoints perceive light as moving at c in a vacuum. So, light is the only moving thing in the universe, which means there's only one speed, hence it is both fastest and slowest at the same time. Alternatively, all matter is made of light, and matter can move at any speed up to c and down to 0, so light is moving at all possible speeds, and again is both fastest and slowest and in-betweenest. Hence true. At the same time, calling matter "light" is only true if one considers all electromagnetic force (and electroweak and weakstrong force) to be "light", which isn't an accepted common use, hence false.

The third one depends on the prior two, and is thus true and false depending on the states of those two.

End of annoying science riddles by Gus. I promise it will never happen again until next time.

And now I've definitely said some things you didn't know! So there!

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Yikes, on that note, I'm going home.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Brandie Tarvin (11/16/2011)

Remember the guy with the missing CPUs?

Most likely it's mice nibbling at the chips; so it might be better to put cats in the cases to chase the mice away and put up with the sound of snide laughter from the storage.

Tom

• Koen Verbeeck (11/16/2011)

GSquared (11/16/2011)

Roy Ernest (11/16/2011)

So I'm perverse now?

Does that list work?

<obvious joke> Indeed, isn't a RBAR query to slowest thing known to man? </obvious joke>

No, a RBAR query is nowhere near as slow as hydrolisis of phosphomonoester dianions in water in the absence of appropriate catlysts/catalytic enzymes. The half-term for this is about a trillion years; the catalysis brings this down to order 8 hours - a speed up factor of one quadrillion. If only we could get a quadrillion times speed-up by going from RBAR to set-based we could use all those nolock hints people have been talking about to deliver even more incorrect results even faster than we do now, a great increase in productivity, and surely the Darwinian selection process would operate sufficiently quickly that the "we're happy with wrong results" attuitude would become extinct in our life-times.

Tom

• L' Eomot Inversé (11/17/2011)

Koen Verbeeck (11/16/2011)

GSquared (11/16/2011)

Roy Ernest (11/16/2011)

So I'm perverse now?

Does that list work?

No, a RBAR query is nowhere near as slow as hydrolisis of phosphomonoester dianions in water in the absence of appropriate catlysts/catalytic enzymes. The half-term for this is about a trillion years; the catalysis brings this down to order 8 hours - a speed up factor of one quadrillion. If only we could get a quadrillion times speed-up by going from RBAR to set-based we could use all those nolock hints people have been talking about to deliver even more incorrect results even faster than we do now, a great increase in productivity, and surely the Darwinian selection process would operate sufficiently quickly that the "we're happy with wrong results" attuitude would become extinct in our life-times.

Don't bet on it, NOLOCK hints aren't the only way to get bad results. I worked for a company a few years ago that had associated clinics all over the country. They kept the addresses in 2 separate databases that were never synchronized in any way. They also never purged old addresses if someone moved or if the data entry had just been wrong in the first place. They asked me for a report of number of clinics by state, should have taken all of 2 minutes, but because of the bad data it took me a week of manual checks and when I told them it would be around 70% accurate, they said that was fine.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    --------------------------------------
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Wahoo! Just passed the MS 70-453 test, making me a MCITP for SQL 2008 just in time for 2012 to come out. 😀

Very happy - Passing after paying for the test is much better than failing after paying for the test.

Chad

• Chad Crawford (11/17/2011)

Wahoo! Just passed the MS 70-453 test, making me a MCITP for SQL 2008 just in time for 2012 to come out. 😀

Very happy - Passing after paying for the test is much better than failing after paying for the test.

Chad

Congrats Chad! working on 70-451 next?

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Chad Crawford (11/17/2011)

Wahoo! Just passed the MS 70-453 test, making me a MCITP for SQL 2008 just in time for 2012 to come out. 😀

Chad

Congrats - 2008 R2 exams should be coming soon;-)

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Viewing 15 posts - 31,846 through 31,860 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply