Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Trey Staker (11/21/2011)

Jack Corbett (11/21/2011)

Hey, for those not on Twitter (why aren't you). My dad passed away early this morning. Not unexpected. I blogged about it, http://t.co/hCjjRnRh if you are interested in how I feel about it.

Jack, my deepest condolences. My father passed away in '96 after a bout with cancer. You're blog hit home and has brought some of those memories back, like it was just yesterday. Some of the feelings you expressed were so similar to what I went through. Thanks for sharing your grieving process. I'll include you and my family in my prayers.

Thanks Trey. I figure if I'm having the experience someone else probably is or has and maybe the little I share can help.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Jack Corbett (11/21/2011)

Ninja's_RGR'us (11/21/2011)

Jack Corbett (11/21/2011)

Hey, for those not on Twitter (why aren't you). My dad passed away early this morning. Not unexpected. I blogged about it, http://t.co/hCjjRnRh if you are interested in how I feel about it.

Thanks for sharing this... sure hits a cord with me atm.

BTW my father had his 3rd stroke yesterday (2nd in 2 weeks). This time he's not getting out of the hospital (we won't let him / them).

Should be operated this wednesday if nothing prevents teh surgury (might have inflamation in the heart which would delay it).

I didn't even think of that.

Praying that the surgery can happen and that there are no complications/issues. Sounds like he needs it a couple of weeks ago.

You should lend that avatar to Gail. Maybe she'd finally stop being mistaken for a man :-D.

• Brandie Tarvin (11/21/2011)

And it just happened at work.

"But we're using NOLOCK in this stored procedure. How could it have gotten killed due to a deadlock?"

<headdesk><headdesk><headdesk>

Cargo Cult programming. Gotta love it!

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (11/21/2011)

Brandie Tarvin (11/21/2011)

"But we're using NOLOCK in this stored procedure. How could it have gotten killed due to a deadlock?"

Is that the KKK version of lame programming ? πŸ˜€

• Jack Corbett (11/21/2011)

I'm very sorry to hear about that Jack. Even when it is expected, it is not easy. I'm glad you are talking about it; tends to be the best way to work through it for many. Hang in there.

Jim Murphy
    http://www.sqlwatchmen.com
    @SQLMurph

• Thanks for all the condolences. It ain't easy, but a good night's sleep tonight will definitely help.

Jack Corbett

• Ninja's_RGR'us (11/21/2011)

GSquared (11/21/2011)

Brandie Tarvin (11/21/2011)

Is that the KKK version of lame programming ? πŸ˜€

I'm not clear on a connection between Cargo Cults (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_cult), and the KKK (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kkk), so I'm probably missing something in your joke.

When I see people using practices they don't understand in the hope they will magically improve code, it makes me think of the cargo cults in the South Pacific during/after WW II. Same kind of magical thinking. The islanders building coconut "radios" and marching around with stick "guns" in the hopes it would cause "cargo" to be sent to them by the spirits of their ancestors, is pretty ridiculous to anybody from an industrial society. But plugging in "nolock" in the hopes it will prevent deadlocks, blocks, et al, and magically improve performance, is the exact same kind of thinking.

That's why I call it that.

But I'm missing something in your KKK reference.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Phonetics πŸ˜€

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonetics

• Condolences Jack.

But don't worry to much about your son, his attitude, and what may be in the distant future - instead let your faith guide you in relating to him, as I'm sure your father let his faith guide his relationship with you, and remember that although we live in an imperfect world that is not the end.

Tom

• Plagiarism???

I could swear I've seen this on one of your blogs?

Sql Rnnr??

http://sqlship.wordpress.com/2009/12/15/script-indexes-sql-server-2005-sql-server-2008/?preview=true&preview_id=136&preview_nonce=48260c475f

• Ninja's_RGR'us (11/21/2011)

Plagiarism???

I could swear I've seen this on one of your blogs?

Sql Rnnr??

http://sqlship.wordpress.com/2009/12/15/script-indexes-sql-server-2005-sql-server-2008/?preview=true&preview_id=136&preview_nonce=48260c475f

Nope - not on mine. I had one on the schedule but it is different.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Jack: Condolences on the loss of your father, though it sounds like it was best since medicine hadn't caught up with the damage yet. Luck with the son, too. Might I recommend two Nerf Bats and a bit of time with noone else around?

Remi: If you're not willing to lose the place to a condemnation you won't be able to get the legal firepower necessary to force the landlord to do crap. It's an all or nothing bet and you have to pray you hit the point before you nail the 7s... because this landlord MIGHT just burn it and be done with it from what you've described.

Tom: Christie Brinkley? I've seen that pose somewhere on one of the 80's models, but well, it's a bit common and tiny. Hard to determine a few details there... πŸ˜‰

From Me: Happy Turkey Day for the US'ers as we wobble and wibble off this week to random family events.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• It must be DBA season somewhere. That's four admitted interview questions just today on the forums. And those are just the ones who fessed up.

Property of The Thread

• Evil Kraig F (11/21/2011)

Remi: If you're not willing to lose the place to a condemnation you won't be able to get the legal firepower necessary to force the landlord to do crap. It's an all or nothing bet and you have to pray you hit the point before you nail the 7s... because this landlord MIGHT just burn it and be done with it from what you've described.

Tom: Christie Brinkley? I've seen that pose somewhere on one of the 80's models, but well, it's a bit common and tiny. Hard to determine a few details there... πŸ˜‰

From Me: Happy Turkey Day for the US'ers as we wobble and wibble off this week to random family events.

I'm more than willing to "lose" the house. All the better if it gets comdemned for good. It's either I live there with 100% certainty it's healthy or nobody lives there.

• L' Eomot InversΓ© (11/21/2011)

Condolences Jack.

But don't worry to much about your son, his attitude, and what may be in the distant future - instead let your faith guide you in relating to him, as I'm sure your father let his faith guide his relationship with you, and remember that although we live in an imperfect world that is not the end.

Thanks Tom. That's very good advice. I hope I can follow it.

Jack Corbett

Viewing 15 posts - 31,996 through 32,010 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply