Are the posted questions getting worse?

• WayneS (2/13/2012)

jcrawf02 (2/9/2012)

Seems timely on the heels of Lynn's news, a big THANK YOU to everyone who sent good thoughts my way a few weeks ago, I was nervous because....we're having a baby! Our first, due the end of July! :w00t::-D:-D:-D

Congrats Jon. Start remembering that you can actually sleep all the way through the night... sometime around July, that ought to become a distant memory!:-D

Yes, congrats. THere's nothing quite like being a father.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• jcrawf02 (2/9/2012)

Seems timely on the heels of Lynn's news, a big THANK YOU to everyone who sent good thoughts my way a few weeks ago, I was nervous because....we're having a baby! Our first, due the end of July! :w00t::-D:-D:-D

You are at the tail end of what you will remember as "before the baby."

My congratulations on your life-changing transition, with wishes of all the best,

Revenant

a father of four now-adults

• Jeff Moden (2/12/2012)

Does anyone know how to block "Site Owners" in the "Recent Posts" for today? Although I certainly appreciate links to blog subjects, it's gotten way out of hand. IMHO, these types of things shouldn't show up as "posts" at all especially since we can't comment about them here on SSC.

We used to have a job that would bump up unanswered posts with this user, so no blocks.

What shows up today? For the articles of the day?

• I would just like to comment: Sometimes the people asking the question give enough information but the people trying to answer the question either don't understand and shouldn't respond or they don't completely read what was posted and re-ask the same things that have already been explained. This makes the asker irritated just as much as the answerer gets when they don't have info they need.

I suggest everyone on both sides try to communicate and read what is communicated closely before posting.

Respectfully,Kate SchwidSoftware Developer/Data AnalystOzaukee, WI

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (2/13/2012)

Jeff Moden (2/12/2012)

Does anyone know how to block "Site Owners" in the "Recent Posts" for today? Although I certainly appreciate links to blog subjects, it's gotten way out of hand. IMHO, these types of things shouldn't show up as "posts" at all especially since we can't comment about them here on SSC.

We used to have a job that would bump up unanswered posts with this user, so no blocks.

Jeff beat me to it, but - I have been seeing 20-30 at a time. A lot seem to be blog posts (or specific items about specific SSUG's).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

Jeff Moden (2/12/2012)

Here is a few of them

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1251110-34-1.aspx

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1251107-34-1.aspx

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Search2-0-1.aspx?SessionID=uu2xvj45zfrxng45tsj4rnjd&SortBy=1&SortOrder=1

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• OK, I hadn't noticed the blog post items, but they shouldn't appear. I'll see if we can get a fix in.

OK, I hadn't noticed the blog post items, but they shouldn't appear. I'll see if we can get a fix in.

Thanks. It's irritating over weekends because the legit posts get hidden among old blog post comment threads (at least that's what they appear to be)

From this morning (my time)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • kschwid (2/13/2012)

I would just like to comment: Sometimes the people asking the question give enough information but the people trying to answer the question either don't understand and shouldn't respond or they don't completely read what was posted and re-ask the same things that have already been explained. This makes the asker irritated just as much as the answerer gets when they don't have info they need.

I suggest everyone on both sides try to communicate and read what is communicated closely before posting.

Everyone here agrees with you completely on that.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (2/13/2012)

kschwid (2/13/2012)

I would just like to comment: Sometimes the people asking the question give enough information but the people trying to answer the question either don't understand and shouldn't respond or they don't completely read what was posted and re-ask the same things that have already been explained. This makes the asker irritated just as much as the answerer gets when they don't have info they need.

Everyone here agrees with you completely on that.

I doubt you'll get much argument from us on that. I'm certainly guilty myself of skimming an opening post, much less 40-50 attempts to help that have not succeeded quite yet, and have tried my best to slow it down a bit. That said, I'm far from perfect.

However, if you're discussing the thread's title rather than it's current intent of being the watercooler, that's been lost in history for a while. 😀

Side note: It's really nice my first handful of QotDs have gone off without flamewars, abuse, detail harpies, or other assundry annoyances. Woot! Go me! I'll take lucky!

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Evil Kraig F (2/13/2012)

Side note: It's really nice my first handful of QotDs have gone off without flamewars, abuse, detail harpies, or other assundry annoyances. Woot! Go me! I'll take lucky!

Likewise for my last one. Very surprised.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Evil Kraig F (2/13/2012)

However, if you're discussing the thread's title rather than it's current intent of being the watercooler, that's been lost in history for a while. 😀

Watercooler? I thought this was the coffee machine!

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

Jeff Moden (2/12/2012)

I remember the results of that job! It was actually pretty cool.

Shifting gears, I was going through the posts from "Posts added today" and there had to be two dozen posts from "Site Owners" that took us to some bloody blog post that we can't even leave a comment on SSC about. While it's nice to have access to such posts, they shouldn't show up in "Posts added today" because they aren't posts. They just clutter up the screen and make it more difficult to find people who have actual questions. Since we can't actually leave comments on SSC about these "posts", can you treat them more like "remote articles" and not have them show up in things like "Posts added today"?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Koen Verbeeck (2/13/2012)

Evil Kraig F (2/13/2012)

Watercooler? I thought this was the coffee machine!

Heh... actually, it's an unclorinated hot tub... you never know what you'll find in the water here. 😉

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• I really do have to remember to "scroll down" before responding to a post. I see lot's of people responded to Steve's question about the site owner thing. The graphic that Gail posted personifies the problem especially on the weekends.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 15 posts - 34,291 through 34,305 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply