Are the posted questions getting worse?

• WayneS (2/13/2012)

jcrawf02 (2/9/2012)

Seems timely on the heels of Lynn's news, a big THANK YOU to everyone who sent good thoughts my way a few weeks ago, I was nervous because....we're having a baby! Our first, due the end of July! :w00t::-D:-D:-D

Congrats Jon. Start remembering that you can actually sleep all the way through the night... sometime around July, that ought to become a distant memory!:-D

I wish. You guys don't have my pets. I haven't slept through the night for 7 years. Explains my sunny disposition 😉

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• jcrawf02 (2/14/2012)

You guys don't have my pets. I haven't slept through the night for 7 years.

FEED ME, Seymour!

😀

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Jeff Moden (2/13/2012)

Shifting gears, I was going through the posts from "Posts added today" and there had to be two dozen posts from "Site Owners" that took us to some bloody blog post that we can't even leave a comment on SSC about. While it's nice to have access to such posts, they shouldn't show up in "Posts added today" because they aren't posts. They just clutter up the screen and make it more difficult to find people who have actual questions. Since we can't actually leave comments on SSC about these "posts", can you treat them more like "remote articles" and not have them show up in things like "Posts added today"?

Dev is looking at this today. Not sure what he did, but hopefully will be fixed this week.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (2/14/2012)

Jeff Moden (2/13/2012)

Shifting gears, I was going through the posts from "Posts added today" and there had to be two dozen posts from "Site Owners" that took us to some bloody blog post that we can't even leave a comment on SSC about. While it's nice to have access to such posts, they shouldn't show up in "Posts added today" because they aren't posts. They just clutter up the screen and make it more difficult to find people who have actual questions. Since we can't actually leave comments on SSC about these "posts", can you treat them more like "remote articles" and not have them show up in things like "Posts added today"?

Dev is looking at this today. Not sure what he did, but hopefully will be fixed this week.

We think this is fixed. We'll keep an eye out for this.

• Jack Corbett (2/10/2012)

So I tried upping my activity lately to try to stay ahead of Paul on the total point count, but he has passed me. Congrats Paul.

+1. Are your current pace Jack, you'll soon pass me:-D

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Jeff Moden (2/12/2012)

Does anyone know how to block "Site Owners" in the "Recent Posts" for today? Although I certainly appreciate links to blog subjects, it's gotten way out of hand. IMHO, these types of things shouldn't show up as "posts" at all especially since we can't comment about them here on SSC.

+1

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (2/14/2012)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (2/14/2012)

Jeff Moden (2/13/2012)

We think this is fixed. We'll keep an eye out for this.

Very cool. Thanks Steve. Tell the Dev Team "thanks" as well. 🙂

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• yowch http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1252061-1550-1.aspx

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• youch indeed!

I like the first (David Benoit) response.

Tom

• L' Eomot Inversé (2/14/2012)

youch indeed!

If it was an interview question, I sincerely hope for him he didn't pick choice 2 at the interview 🙂

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Koen Verbeeck (2/15/2012)

L' Eomot Inversé (2/14/2012)

youch indeed!

If it was an interview question, I sincerely hope for him he didn't pick choice 2 at the interview 🙂

Not sure #1 would have been much better in an interview. Dr. Kevorkian, DBA...

• Since we're back on the original topic...

Why does the sky change colors?

Sometimes it's pale blue, sometimes it's dark blue, sometimes it's black with little lights, and sometimes it's orange.

Can someone code the changes for me so I understand them? I need this for my physics class and need it in less than an hour. Do this now, pls.

(and now Brandie will hide so no one can find her and hurt her. @=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (2/15/2012)

Since we're back on the original topic...

Why does the sky change colors?

Sometimes it's pale blue, sometimes it's dark blue, sometimes it's black with little lights, and sometimes it's orange.

Can someone code the changes for me so I understand them? I need this for my physics class and need it in less than an hour. Do this now, pls.

(and now Brandie will hide so no one can find her and hurt her. @=)

You forgot:

pls explain by step by step procedure.

Pls reply...

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Customer: We have a problem in production.

Me: What's the problem?

Customer: It looks wrong.

Me: I need specifics. Give me examples please, with expected results.

(Customer returns 2 examples, one of which isn't even valid, w/o expected results.) Customer: Send the fixes over now, please. We're on a tight deadline.

Me: I have to research the problem first.

Customer: I don't want you to research the problem right now. Just give me the fix so I can meet my deadline, and research the problem later.

--------------------

Seriously. This is my life lately. I need chocolate. Really good chocolate. It's the only way I can survive.

• Koen Verbeeck (2/15/2012)

L' Eomot Inversé (2/14/2012)

youch indeed!

A number of his other posts are answers to questions. It might be help in/after an interview, but nothing wrong with that.

Viewing 15 posts - 34,306 through 34,320 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply