A change in the weather

Is known to be extreme.

But what's the use of changing

Horses, in midstream?

I can change, I swear....

- Bob Dylan

Also.... Lynn making sarcastic posts !? :w00t:

Truly, it is a sign of the Apocalypse.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Alvin Ramard (4/15/2009)

The author may have been trying to hit a minimum word count.

[font="Verdana"]Maybeeee... but that whole break into German and then say "it's anyone's guess" I personally would have just edited right out as it's completely valueless. If they wanted a minimum word count... take a punt! Have a guess! "My guess is that..." Instead of throwing out the question, breaking into some german on the way, and then walking away from the question entirely.

Sometimes I think technical writers forget that they are writing to an audience.

[/font]

• Bruce W Cassidy (4/15/2009)

Alvin Ramard (4/15/2009)

The author may have been trying to hit a minimum word count.

[font="Verdana"]Maybeeee... but that whole break into German and then say "it's anyone's guess" I personally would have just edited right out as it's completely valueless. If they wanted a minimum word count... take a punt! Have a guess! "My guess is that..." Instead of throwing out the question, breaking into some german on the way, and then walking away from the question entirely.

Sometimes I think technical writers forget that they are writing to an audience.

[/font]

Yes, sometimes I think some are more concerned about following the "rules of technical writing" than they are about the subject itself.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• For some Technical Writers the term is an oxymoron. 😉

• Are you talking about me Lynn? :ermm:

Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Bob Hovious (4/15/2009)

Are you talking about me Lynn? :ermm:

No. Actually I think the tech writer of the article Bruce ranted about fits the description I mentioned.

• Oh good. People keep using that word and I get paranoid.

• Bob, did you notice? We should hit 3500 posts soon!

• Lynn Pettis (4/15/2009)

Jeffrey Williams (4/15/2009)

Okay - I am just wondering if Lynn has finally hit his limit. I'm just a bit surprised - and shocked - and the response :w00t:

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic697843-146-1.aspx#bm697863

Really - let me google that for you? Are you kidding? :hehe:

Sometimes you just have to be an old fashioned saint, get in there and bloody a few noses. 😉

Heh... that's the difference between a "Cardinal" and a "Saint". Us "Cardinal's" like the occasional public beheading. :hehe:

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

[font="Verdana"]Warning! Mini rant!

I'm reading an article (it's work related, okay?) and I run across this paragraph:

"The first and most obvious reason is that the DW appliance model has indisputable validity. Whether that validity stems from the efforts (or disruptiveness) of the DW appliance vendors themselves; whether it's part of a bigger back-to-users trend; whether it's indicative of what cultural historians call a Tendenzwende (a shift in the Zeitgeist); or a combination of some or all of these factors is still anyone's guess. "

Why? Why write like that? Yes, I can understand the use of domain-specific jargon, but why break into German? Is this some sort of "oh, look at how erudite I am" thing?

Grrrr.

Mini rant over.

[/font]

It wasn't on Simple-Talk on 4/1, was it?

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• I wonder when this thread will have more posts than me?

• Bob Hovious (4/15/2009)

Oh good. People keep using that word and I get paranoid.

Heh... isn't that an oxymoron in itself? 😛

I keep telling folks, you don't ever want to become a "moroff".

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• GilaMonster (4/15/2009)

Bruce W Cassidy (4/15/2009)

[font="Verdana"]I didn't want to confuse issues by asking "aren't there some ANSI standards around character sets and collations?"[/font]

One question that pops to mind. Did ANSI create ASCII? (off to wikipedia...)

Or even ASCI

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

[font="Verdana"]Warning! Mini rant!

I'm reading an article (it's work related, okay?) and I run across this paragraph:

"The first and most obvious reason is that the DW appliance model has indisputable validity. Whether that validity stems from the efforts (or disruptiveness) of the DW appliance vendors themselves; whether it's part of a bigger back-to-users trend; whether it's indicative of what cultural historians call a Tendenzwende (a shift in the Zeitgeist); or a combination of some or all of these factors is still anyone's guess. "

Why? Why write like that? Yes, I can understand the use of domain-specific jargon, but why break into German? Is this some sort of "oh, look at how erudite I am" thing?

Grrrr.

Mini rant over.

[/font]

Actually sounded like some of the deconstructionist stuff I used to have to read in film school. Lots of words, doesn't say much.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Jeff Moden (4/15/2009)

It wasn't on Simple-Talk on 4/1, was it?

[font="Verdana"]Nope. Not another wunnerful article from Mr Hugh Bin Haad. This one purports to be serious. Personally I think it was brain fluff.

"Oh look, people are saying it's okay to build departmental data marts now, and not just enterprise data warehouses. Well, if they're saying it's okay I guess it really must be."

There ya go, now you don't have to read it!

[/font]

Viewing 15 posts - 3,421 through 3,435 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply