Are the posted questions getting worse?

• GMail with Outlook has some weird behaviours.

For instance, when you send an email to yourself, you won't find it in the Inbox, but in the "Sent Items" folder only.

The folders/labels system still has some mismatch.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• I remember using Lotus Notes at a company I worked for years ago. I thought it was really quirky and cumbersome. But it had (IIRC) some capabilities that other email didn't have if you knew how to write the code in it.

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. - Stephen Hawking

• mtillman-921105 (3/13/2012)

I remember using Lotus Notes at a company I worked for years ago. I thought it was really quirky and cumbersome. But it had (IIRC) some capabilities that other email didn't have if you knew how to write the code in it.

I worked for a company that used Lotus Notes also. Hated it, the shortcut keys were different from most other Windows Apps for one.

Do you know why noone writes viruses that attack Lotus Notes? It is a virus. πŸ˜›

• Lynn Pettis (3/13/2012)[hr

Do you know why noone writes viruses that attack Lotus Notes? It is a virus. πŸ˜›

Ha! That's about right.

'Hate to beat up on IBM, but I had a hard time with Cognos too - mainly because the only access I had to it was the using a front end. I was already used to writing SPs, and trying to use a front end for complex queries was just exasperating. It could be that I just have a Microsoft mind set. Going to IBM's way is almost like learning a completely new language.

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. - Stephen Hawking

• mtillman-921105 (3/13/2012)

Lynn Pettis (3/13/2012)[hr

Ha! That's about right.

'Hate to beat up on IBM, but I had a hard time with Cognos too - mainly because the only access I had to it was the using a front end. I was already used to writing SPs, and trying to use a front end for complex queries was just exasperating. It could be that I just have a Microsoft mind set. Going to IBM's way is almost like learning a completely new language.

Oracle was the same for me. Too many people writing things using loops and cursors rather than set-based code. I couldn't the training I requested and found myself writing in T-SQL first and then figuring out how to convert it to Oracle. Worked, but I had a hard time trying to thing in Oracle first. I guess that comes with over 14 years of working with MS SQL Server. Yes, I guess I have more of a Microsoft mind set as well.

• I moved to Gmail last year for my personal domain after 3 different email providers kept having slow IMAP issues. I work across multiple devices, and wanted to have access from any of them. I didn't try a hosted Exchange provider, but that would probably have been my next choice. Mark Cuban had some influence on my decision: http://blogmaverick.com/2010/12/10/am-i-living-the-google-lifestyle/

After two weeks of second guessing myself and hating it, I got used to it. I started to use the search more, I got used to the way replies appear on the web, and having conversations threaded, even when I'd deleted an older message (or archived it), was actually fairly handy.

My son has an account on my domain, and hence GMail as well. The other day I asked him about a Scout email and he was scrolling through the list of mails. I saw tons of things in there and asked him why he didn't prune down old newsletters, mails from friends, etc. that he had read. His response (he's 13): I never delete anything.

I showed him how to search, and he's even happier with the mail.

Google's T&Cs? Not sure I'm overly concerned. Maybe I should be, but just don't see it as that big a deal for what I use the service for. I also think that bribing a Googler or getting into my mailbox would be harder than it would be for smaller companies. I think it's more likely there are security issues, unpatched mail servers, or employees more easily willing to pull something out if someone wanted it.

• And the broken record returns.

Why can't he give it a break. He wants everyone to be just like him. He really needs to get over himself. Many of us understand what people mean even if they use the wrong technical term. There is no need to jump on people like this. And we also don't necessarily have a say in what we have to work with either. Many of us inherit the systems we have to work with and don't necessarily have much say in getting it changed.

• Lynn Pettis (3/13/2012)

And the broken record returns.

Why can't he give it a break. He wants everyone to be just like him. He really needs to get over himself. Many of us understand what people mean even if they use the wrong technical term. There is no need to jump on people like this. And we also don't necessarily have a say in what we have to work with either. Many of us inherit the systems we have to work with and don't necessarily have much say in getting it changed.

He can't give it a rest because it's necessary for his own self-image. If he stopped, that would mean he's been wrong for pretty much his whole professional career, and has been wronging people for no good reason. Asserted self-rightness is very difficult to escape.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• I don't know who you're talking about. πŸ˜‰

No, seriously, you'd better ignore him.

A wise man once told me that the only person in the world you can change is yourself.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Gianluca Sartori (3/13/2012)

I don't know who you're talking about. πŸ˜‰

A wise man once told me that the only person in the world you can change is yourself.

I have a problem with ignoring him, same as I have a problem with anyone giving bad advice. In his case, it's amplified because he does have a bit of fame/infamy in the database world, which makes it bad advice from a position of authority.

Not pointing out the flaw is as bad as dog-piling on it. Either one is a problem to avoid.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (3/13/2012)

Gianluca Sartori (3/13/2012)

I have a problem with ignoring him, same as I have a problem with anyone giving bad advice. In his case, it's amplified because he does have a bit of fame/infamy in the database world, which makes it bad advice from a position of authority.

Not pointing out the flaw is as bad as dog-piling on it. Either one is a problem to avoid.

I just hate that he constantly gives his opinion and makes it sound like settled fact. I think he's wrong on quite a few of the things he constantly hammers, like "natural" keys.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Stefan Krzywicki (3/13/2012)

GSquared (3/13/2012)

I just hate that he constantly gives his opinion and makes it sound like settled fact. I think he's wrong on quite a few of the things he constantly hammers, like "natural" keys.

I don't have a problem with "natural" keys if you can find them. My problem comes when what was supposed to be unique suddenly isn't due to a change in requirements. That is one reason I prefer SIDs for a primary key and define the natural key as a unique index or constraint. If it changes, it is easier to change than the primary key. Plus, the users don't need to see the SID as it should really be for internal use only.

• GSquared (3/13/2012)

Excellent first line in your response.

• Lynn Pettis (3/13/2012)

Stefan Krzywicki (3/13/2012)

GSquared (3/13/2012)

I don't have a problem with "natural" keys if you can find them. My problem comes when what was supposed to be unique suddenly isn't due to a change in requirements. That is one reason I prefer SIDs for a primary key and define the natural key as a unique index or constraint. If it changes, it is easier to change than the primary key. Plus, the users don't need to see the SID as it should really be for internal use only.

My problem is that the gentleman in question seems to have a lack of flexibility for situations that don't lend themselves to the optimal database design. There are times when there isn't a natural key, or identities make sense, or you might need to deal with poor design for legacy reasons. He's preaching, but his message gets lost because of a lack of tolerance.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (3/13/2012)

Lynn Pettis (3/13/2012)

Stefan Krzywicki (3/13/2012)

GSquared (3/13/2012)

My problem is that the gentleman in question seems to have a lack of flexibility for situations that don't lend themselves to the optimal database design. There are times when there isn't a natural key, or identities make sense, or you might need to deal with poor design for legacy reasons. He's preaching, but his message gets lost because of a lack of tolerance.

Exactly, his insistence that the only real keys are "natural" keys is simply wrong. I have problems with the contortions you frequently have to to to create a "natural" key and how many columns need to be involved, but an argument can be made for them.

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

Viewing 15 posts - 34,696 through 34,710 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply