Are the posted questions getting worse?

• mtillman-921105 (3/13/2012)

Lynn Pettis (3/13/2012)[hr

Do you know why noone writes viruses that attack Lotus Notes? It is a virus. 😛

Ha! That's about right.

'Hate to beat up on IBM, but I had a hard time with Cognos too - mainly because the only access I had to it was the using a front end. I was already used to writing SPs, and trying to use a front end for complex queries was just exasperating. It could be that I just have a Microsoft mind set. Going to IBM's way is almost like learning a completely new language.

Well, the Cognos front-end (Report Studio and Analysis Studio) is more for end-users than "us hardcore developers" 🙂

The metadata framework is much better than the Report Model SSRS had, so it allows people to create reports without writing any code. And Analysis Studio is in my opinion a much better ad-hoc analysis tool than Report Studio.

On the other hand, Cognos produces some horrid MDX. Slow performance, I have seen...

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (3/13/2012)

Lynn Pettis (3/13/2012)

Stefan Krzywicki (3/13/2012)

GSquared (3/13/2012)

Gianluca Sartori (3/13/2012)

I don't know who you're talking about. 😉

No, seriously, you'd better ignore him.

A wise man once told me that the only person in the world you can change is yourself.

I have a problem with ignoring him, same as I have a problem with anyone giving bad advice. In his case, it's amplified because he does have a bit of fame/infamy in the database world, which makes it bad advice from a position of authority.

Not pointing out the flaw is as bad as dog-piling on it. Either one is a problem to avoid.

I just hate that he constantly gives his opinion and makes it sound like settled fact. I think he's wrong on quite a few of the things he constantly hammers, like "natural" keys.

I don't have a problem with "natural" keys if you can find them. My problem comes when what was supposed to be unique suddenly isn't due to a change in requirements. That is one reason I prefer SIDs for a primary key and define the natural key as a unique index or constraint. If it changes, it is easier to change than the primary key. Plus, the users don't need to see the SID as it should really be for internal use only.

My problem is that the gentleman in question seems to have a lack of flexibility for situations that don't lend themselves to the optimal database design. There are times when there isn't a natural key, or identities make sense, or you might need to deal with poor design for legacy reasons. He's preaching, but his message gets lost because of a lack of tolerance.

I nearly blew up over a comment of his last week, can't remember the exact words but he stated that identities are only used by SQL noobs that don't know better.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Gianluca Sartori (2/29/2012)

Revenant (2/28/2012)

Gianluca Sartori (2/28/2012)

Lynn Pettis (2/28/2012)

I guess we need to start encouraging more people to consider DBA work as a career choice.

What??? You mean less people!

What would I do for a living with all those DBAs around doing it much better than me??

No, no, no! More than enough DBAs!! 😛

You would manage them, and daily told them how surprised you are how long they take to accomplish their tasks.

HA! I don't see it happening anytime soon.

I'm genetically unable to manage people. When I disagree with somebody (on a technical matter I am quite sure of) I try to explain my point of view at most twice. If you insist doing things your way, go ahead and bang your head to the wall.

This doesn't make a good boss...

Actually, that's just the kind of boss that some techies need. Let the guy bump his head and come down a few pegs. They can't all walk the talk and it's best that an attitude of "I know everything" is dispensed with quickly so the real work can commence. Too many people think that because they are in IT they are Special. right, special and unique, just like Everyone Else.

Obviously, pick your battles - if it's too important/time sensitive to let him fail first, you're the boss - impose your authority. Experience trumps ego. That's why you'd be the boss!!

Generally, tho, the flocking of the masses to IT is not good for those of us that give a damn about doing it right. Too many are looking for a fancy paycheck and not into the continual learning, trial by fire, long hours/on call, etc.

I'm not keen on any company hiring a bad DBA simply because that implies risk to their data. No one deserves that!

• herladygeekedness (3/13/2012)

Gianluca Sartori (2/29/2012)

Revenant (2/28/2012)

Gianluca Sartori (2/28/2012)

Lynn Pettis (2/28/2012)

I guess we need to start encouraging more people to consider DBA work as a career choice.

What??? You mean less people!

What would I do for a living with all those DBAs around doing it much better than me??

No, no, no! More than enough DBAs!! 😛

You would manage them, and daily told them how surprised you are how long they take to accomplish their tasks.

HA! I don't see it happening anytime soon.

I'm genetically unable to manage people. When I disagree with somebody (on a technical matter I am quite sure of) I try to explain my point of view at most twice. If you insist doing things your way, go ahead and bang your head to the wall.

This doesn't make a good boss...

Actually, that's just the kind of boss that some techies need. Let the guy bump his head and come down a few pegs. They can't all walk the talk and it's best that an attitude of "I know everything" is dispensed with quickly so the real work can commence. Too many people think that because they are in IT they are Special. right, special and unique, just like Everyone Else.

Obviously, pick your battles - if it's too important/time sensitive to let him fail first, you're the boss - impose your authority. Experience trumps ego. That's why you'd be the boss!!

Generally, tho, the flocking of the masses to IT is not good for those of us that give a damn about doing it right. Too many are looking for a fancy paycheck and not into the continual learning, trial by fire, long hours/on call, etc.

I'm not keen on any company hiring a bad DBA simply because that implies risk to their data. No one deserves that!

So I will qualify me statement about encoraging people to consider IT to those who we feel have the attitude and apptitude to succeed.

• Koen Verbeeck (3/13/2012)

mtillman-921105 (3/13/2012)

Lynn Pettis (3/13/2012)[hr

Do you know why noone writes viruses that attack Lotus Notes? It is a virus. 😛

Ha! That's about right.

'Hate to beat up on IBM, but I had a hard time with Cognos too - mainly because the only access I had to it was the using a front end. I was already used to writing SPs, and trying to use a front end for complex queries was just exasperating. It could be that I just have a Microsoft mind set. Going to IBM's way is almost like learning a completely new language.

Well, the Cognos front-end (Report Studio and Analysis Studio) is more for end-users than "us hardcore developers" 🙂

The metadata framework is much better than the Report Model SSRS had, so it allows people to create reports without writing any code. And Analysis Studio is in my opinion a much better ad-hoc analysis tool than Report Studio.

On the other hand, Cognos produces some horrid MDX. Slow performance, I have seen...

I concur.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Brandie Tarvin (3/1/2012)

Actually, I'm all about the "apprenticeships" at my workplace. ...

If I can pay forward what was given to me, I will absolutely do that because I am a big believer that knowledge sharing is important. My job is safer if I encourage and empower my fellow employees, not so much if I act like my knowledge is sacred and no one else can know what I'm doing.

Perfect!

My degree has nothing to do with technology, I benefitted from generous souls such as yourself when I "became technical" for my company. That's been some time ago, well before Google (early 90s, we didn't have internet at first, either), but before G, books existed!

I also attempt to pay it forward, but will not force anything and find that many people aren't really that interested as soon as the concepts get complex. I also do not feel threatened by the prospect of someone becoming better than I am.

But I can't get past the "someone needs to tell me" vs "I will go find out". Really?? Aren't these adults?? I could be ok with it if it was "I found this explanation but I'm not sure I understand. Is this like reconfiguring the flange inducer?" but spoon feeding ... no. not your mama.

My father never told me answers, he instead steered me towards gaining tools to find answers myself. What a gift.

• Greg Edwards-268690 (3/9/2012)

Denver was in the news today.

I wonder if Steve saw the Weekend At Bernie's guys?

Sounds like they took a dead buddy out to a strip club for a bit.

What were they thinking?

wing man

I'd like to think that we aren't "parenting" newbies like this: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304450004577277482565674646.html?mod=wsj_share_tweet (about 15 paras in)

Wow, if I'd behaved like described there I'd likely have got a hiding for it.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

I'd like to think that we aren't "parenting" newbies like this: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304450004577277482565674646.html?mod=wsj_share_tweet (about 15 paras in)

WOW! Well, that's not my house. Last time I asked one of the kids to help me splitting wood, they said, "Nah, I don't feel like it." My response was, "Feel like cold showers?" And I got the help I needed.

But, I see some of this sort of behavior around here, even so. Semi-not good.

Comparing it to some place where the living is subsistance level is really silly though. Shock! People who live hand to mouth have ZERO tolerance for those who don't pull their own weight.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• In my opinion not really a brilliant article:

Get month names ordered using recursion[/url]

But with a great discussion! 🙂

• Now for something completely different.

As you know my middle daughter graduates high school this year and has decided to attend ERAU in Prescott, AZ. What many of you don't know is my youngest is beset with a decision, attend one of two public high schools next year or accept the offer of enrollment to the Fountain Valley School as a day student.

Anyone looking to hire a part-time remote MS SQL Server Developer???

• Koen Verbeeck (3/13/2012)

It is really amazing that they were able to make such a flexible, semi-codeless report writer. I will give them that. But, as you're implying, trying to decipher the SQL it generated was head-desky. Anyway, it was mainly me - I wanted access to the database! Not the front end.

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. - Stephen Hawking

yikes! I have no children but my dog was brought up on NILIF: Nothing In Life Is Free. She has to Do Something to Get Something. Sit to have the door open. Wait on the rug to have your paws/coat wiped off before entering house (rain, snow, mud, whatever). lie down and stay for dinner to come out. etc. I'm not all that strict now (she's 11) but she knows To Do To Get.

no, this place strikes the right balance. easy going crowd.

• Any ideas on this one?

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1266589-391-1.aspx

Viewing 15 posts - 34,711 through 34,725 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply