Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Koen Verbeeck (3/14/2012)

Any ideas on this one?

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1266589-391-1.aspx

I've lobbed in my two pennorth. I haven't use linked servers since SQL 2000, so maybe it's not useful. My first though was set up the security properties (what to emulate) appropriately. Then it occurred to me that as the two servers are in the same domain it ought to be possible using "execute as login=" before the use of the link, abd revert afterwards.

Tom

• IT'S A BOY!!!

I won't get to meet him for a few months still, but very excited!

So now the important question is, do we let him watch Star Wars in the episode order, or the real order?

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• In release order. 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (3/14/2012)

In release order. 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3

Rats, I don't remember where I saw the article, but I read a good one that the order should either be

4, 5, 1, 2, 3, 6

or (and this is the one I'd use)

4, 5, 2, 3, 6

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Stefan Krzywicki (3/14/2012)

GilaMonster (3/14/2012)

Rats, I don't remember where I saw the article, but I read a good one that the order should either be

4, 5, 1, 2, 3, 6

4, 5, 2, 3, 6

Ah! Here it is. Machete Order. It comes with a good explanation of why.[/url]

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.

• jcrawf02 (3/14/2012)

IT'S A BOY!!!

I won't get to meet him for a few months still, but very excited!

So now the important question is, do we let him watch Star Wars in the episode order, or the real order?

Congrats!!

Not sure as to the order, but you could limit it to the first original 3 (4,5,6).

Stefan Krzywicki (3/14/2012)

GilaMonster (3/14/2012)

4, 5, 1, 2, 3, 6

4, 5, 2, 3, 6

Wow, that really is brilliant. I love the comparison of Episode I to the Animatrix, that's really apropos. I don't think I'd want to skip out on I completely, nor skip the entire prequel trilogy, but that order (with 1 as additional material at the end, which would then feed right into reading the novels, watching Clone Wars, etc as backstory/embellishment) is inspired.

As for the Matrix, I think I'll stick with 1,2, ...what third movie?

There, major life decisions complete. 😛

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

GilaMonster (3/14/2012)

4, 5, 1, 2, 3, 6

4, 5, 2, 3, 6

Interesting. I think I need to go and watch some movies again....

I must admit I did like (most) of Episode 1, though that's partially because I like Qui-Gon (which should not come as a surprise to anyone), that said, there are sections of that movie I detest (midiclorians?!?!?!?!!!!)

The one thing from Episode 1 that's important is Anakin's mother, mostly his concerns about leaving her. That plays into her capture in Episode 2 and Anakin's extreme reaction which was probably one of the clearest indications of just how close he was to falling to the Dark Side even then.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Personally I don't really care for Star Wars, I'm more of a Star Trek fan, but I did like the reasoning and creativity in the order selection.

GilaMonster (3/14/2012)

4, 5, 1, 2, 3, 6

4, 5, 2, 3, 6

Interesting. I think I need to go and watch some movies again....

I must admit I did like (most) of Episode 1, though that's partially because I like Qui-Gon (which should not come as a surprise to anyone), that said, there are sections of that movie I detest (midiclorians?!?!?!?!!!!)

The one thing from Episode 1 that's important is Anakin's mother, mostly his concerns about leaving her. That plays into her capture in Episode 2 and Anakin's extreme reaction which was probably one of the clearest indications of just how close he was to falling to the Dark Side even then.

I don't know, that's always bothered me because he never went back before then to even check on her (at least we're not told that) but he's got this immense attachment that he's hiding somewhere.

Midichlorians never bothered me so much, I think they show up in some of the books somewhere, so I was ready for that one. Supposed to be part of the prophecy, how the Force (a manifestation of the midichlorians) brings balance to itself (hence no father). Wasn't explored AT ALL in Episode I, but knowing the theory prior to the movie, I got it. They should have jumped into that a little more, because the "savior" in the overall arc is Anakin/Vader, not Luke (who actually fails, but succeeds because of his faith in dear old dad being well placed)

although I've wondered how the "balance" isn't then completely bogus at the end of Episode VI, because now we have all Jedi, no Sith. details, details.

• jcrawf02 (3/14/2012)

Midichlorians never bothered me so much, I think they show up in some of the books somewhere, so I was ready for that one.

Not in any of the books I've read, at least nothing more than a side mention.

My problem with them was that they destroyed the mysticism of the Force.

"The Force is [snip] an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together." No, it's microscopic organisms telling us what to do.

No thanks.

I prefer an alternate interpretation that a former GM (Starwars RPG) gave - that midiclorians are a sign that a person is Force Sensitive, not the cause.

Gail Shaw

jcrawf02 (3/14/2012)

Midichlorians never bothered me so much, I think they show up in some of the books somewhere, so I was ready for that one.

Not in any of the books I've read, at least nothing more than a side mention.

My problem with them was that they destroyed the mysticism of the Force.

"The Force is [snip] an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together." No, it's microscopic organisms telling us what to do.

No thanks.

I prefer an alternate interpretation that a former GM (Starwars RPG) gave - that midiclorians are a sign that a person is Force Sensitive, not the cause.

I like this alternative interpretation as well.

• I've let my son (age 3) watch them in a certain order. So far he's done episodes 4, 6 and then 1. No offense to anyone, but letting a young child watch 5, 2, and 3 is a recipe for nightmares (especially 5 and 3). When he's older then we'll let him watch the remaining 3... but he is into star trek right now.... thank you netflix for having all series/seasons on instant watch!

• jcrawf02 (3/14/2012)

I don't know, that's always bothered me because he never went back before then to even check on her (at least we're not told that) but he's got this immense attachment that he's hiding somewhere.

Jedi aren't supposed to have attachments. Their loyalties are the the Force, the Order, the Republic and to themselves and no other. "A Jedi is a Jedi, first, foremost and only. For a Jedi to divide his attentions between the will of the Force and the will of others is to invite disaster" Master Hoche Trit ~1000 BBY

Hence he would have been encouraged not to check up on her.

It's worth noting that the prohibition of attachments was a reasonably late rule of the Order, it was only in effect from the time of the battle of Rusaan (~1000 BBY) until the destruction of the Order by Palpatine and Vader. So 1000 years out of the 25 000 year history.

Sorry, when I play in Starwars RPGs I tend to play Jedi, so I can spout off portions of the Code

Gail Shaw

• venoym (3/14/2012)

I've let my son (age 3) watch them in a certain order. So far he's done episodes 4, 6 and then 1. No offense to anyone, but letting a young child watch 5, 2, and 3 is a recipe for nightmares (especially 5 and 3). When he's older then we'll let him watch the remaining 3... but he is into star trek right now.... thank you netflix for having all series/seasons on instant watch!

What series is he watching? I ended up getting the dvds of the original series with all the space special effects redone, completely worth it.

Viewing 15 posts - 34,726 through 34,740 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply