Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Back on-topic:

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1268199-391-1.aspx

Or am I working with SQL too long to realize this is an ordinary beginner's question? Am I asking too much?

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Koen Verbeeck (3/15/2012)

GSquared (3/15/2012)

... world conquest through a secrect society of elite DBAs.

*gasp*

It can be no coincidence that this topic is full of elite DBA's!

(for some strange reason I first read evil instead of elite)

Isn't "evil DBA" redundant?

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GilaMonster (3/15/2012)

Koen Verbeeck (3/15/2012)

It can be no coincidence that this topic is full of elite DBA's!

Damn, they're everywhere. How are honest developers supposed to get anything done I ask you.

You're not supposed to get anything done. I thought you knew that already?

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Grant Fritchey (3/15/2012)

Evil Kraig F (3/15/2012)

Grant Fritchey (3/15/2012)

GSquared (3/15/2012)

Just tell the person you were actually talking about E. Codd's younger evil twin, who had the same ideas and theories, but is using them for world conquest through a secrect society of elite DBAs.

Too late. They've run screaming lest I contaminate them.

Does John Codd have an assistant named Pinky?

Not sure, but I think he has a cousin named Cape who lives near me.

booo!!!

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Koen Verbeeck (3/16/2012)

Back on-topic:

Or am I working with SQL too long to realize this is an ordinary beginner's question? Am I asking too much?

Possibly. Its the sort of basic stuff you can find in a "teach yourself SQL" type book or online tutorial that is learnt by practice.

Back on-topic:

Could just be that the guy asking is a beginner. Gotta start somewhere.

Property of The Thread

Back on-topic:

Or this one (same OP)?

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1268137-391-1.aspx

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • L' Eomot InversΓ© (3/15/2012)

Well, Thomas' first writings about sex/marriage/procration are in his Scriptum Super Sententiis (aka Scriptum super libros Sententiarium) which was composed between 1253 and 1256; but the final banning of marriage for those in religious orders (and the unofficial but very thoroughly adhered to ban on ordination of any married person with a living spouse) had happened more than 100 years before that and was the culmination of a discussion that had gone on for well over a thousand years before that, so unless people had access to time machines to skip forwards a few hundred years and read his writings (or attend his lectures - the commentaries are in effect a write-up of the lectures he gave at Paris University in those years) it seems extremely unlikely that he influenced the argument in any way. He was reporting established doctrine on that point, not proposing something new.

True, you were mainly talking about the origin of the practice, but I was also addressing the perpetuation of it. And you're right, Thomas wasn't saying anything new in general, but I believe that his hard-line stance on that activity made the attitude even more pervasive than it would have been otherwise.

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. - Stephen Hawking

• Run in terror. I am back!

Book 2 of Latchkeys, The Ugly Little Bloke by Robert Greenberger is out. Links are below.

Preview the book at http://www.crazy8press.com/2012/02/24/preview-the-ugly-little-bloke/[/url].

Buy the book on Nook at http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/latchkeys-robert-greenberger/1109259495 and Kindle at http://www.amazon.com/Latchkeys-Ugly-Little-Bloke-ebook/dp/B007GHNR5A/ref=pd_sim_kstore_4?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2.

Cover art below:

EDIT: And attached for those who can't read the embedded image.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• I think I'll go join the Guard Hippo at my Tent in the Desert. I really must be getting grumpy in my old age (no offense to those older than me).

• Lynn Pettis (3/16/2012)

I think I'll go join the Guard Hippo at my Tent in the Desert. I really must be getting grumpy in my old age (no offense to those older than me).

Brandie's book scared you out into the desert?

And what about those of us who are younger than you? Are we allowed to be offended? Please? :w00t:

Property of The Thread

• GSquared (3/16/2012)

Lynn Pettis (3/16/2012)

I think I'll go join the Guard Hippo at my Tent in the Desert. I really must be getting grumpy in my old age (no offense to those older than me).

And what about those of us who are younger than you? Are we allowed to be offended? Please? :w00t:

First, no, not Brandie's book. More along the original topic of The Thread.

Second, why would younger people be offended as an old man gets grumpy? If it makes you happy, though, I don't mind if you are offended.

• Lynn Pettis (3/16/2012)

GSquared (3/16/2012)

Lynn Pettis (3/16/2012)

Second, why would younger people be offended as an old man gets grumpy? If it makes you happy, though, I don't mind if you are offended.

Well, you said "no offense to those older than me", so I wondered why those younger were being excluded. πŸ™‚ I mean, isn't that kind of ageism, and all that? πŸ˜›

(I've got age on the mind since I had my birthday on Wednesday. And I'm in a goofy mood because ... well because I'm in a goofy mood. Nothing at all unusual about that, I suppose.)

Property of The Thread

• GSquared (3/16/2012)

(I've got age on the mind since I had my birthday on Wednesday. And I'm in a goofy mood because ... well because I'm in a goofy mood. Nothing at all unusual about that, I suppose.)

Belated Happy Birthday feliciatations.

GSquared (3/16/2012)

Lynn Pettis (3/16/2012)

I thought the same thing. @=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• GSquared (3/16/2012)

Lynn Pettis (3/16/2012)

GSquared (3/16/2012)

Lynn Pettis (3/16/2012)

Well, you said "no offense to those older than me", so I wondered why those younger were being excluded. πŸ™‚ I mean, isn't that kind of ageism, and all that? πŸ˜›

Yes, yes I did say "no offense to those older than me", but that was because I didn't want those individuals to think they were being grumpy as well. If someone younger takes offense to me saying I'm getting grumpy in my old age, I think they may be more sensitive than me.

Viewing 15 posts - 34,816 through 34,830 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply