Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Lynn Pettis (3/26/2012)

WayneS (3/26/2012)

Whew. Caught up on the last 6 weeks of The Thread. Interesting stuff going on.

It's been busy at work, hope I don't end up doing this again anytime soon.

Brandie, I like that idea. (It's only been six weeks... which one you ask???) Go ahead and start that thread, it sounds like something... fun. Yeah, that's the word for it... fun!

So, how long did it take you to get caught up on The Thread?

A little bit over 2 hrs.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• GilaMonster (3/27/2012)

Is it just me, or does a term like 'That can be done, but people usually learn better' rankle when applied to something you've said?

Feels a little condescending.

Not just you. It's more than a little condescending. More like deliberately insulting.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Is anyone else noticing that The Thread is almost at 35,000 posts? Looks like today could very well be the day. (Expecting Alvin to jump in and get that milestone post again...)

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• No milestone for him. ME ME. GIMMIE!

POST!!!

😀

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• WayneS (3/27/2012)

Is anyone else noticing that The Thread is almost at 35,000 posts? Looks like today could very well be the day. (Expecting Alvin to jump in and get that milestone post again...)

It's a lot of posts, but I've never understood any fascination with "milestone" posts. Number in Hex, Oct, or Bin, and you get a whole different set of milestones, after all.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• It is amazing how, no matter how often I state "I am not interested in travel or relocation", when I mention that on my resume and list it on every job posting site I use, I still get agencies that repeatedly send me job reqs out of state. I'm not even looking right now, but still!

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• We have more posts than units "Gail", "Jeff", or "Steve". That is all that matters to us.

• The Thread (3/27/2012)

We have more posts than units "Gail", "Jeff", or "Steve". That is all that matters to us.

HA!

ROTFLOL. That is a good one.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Stefan Krzywicki (3/27/2012)

It is amazing how, no matter how often I state "I am not interested in travel or relocation", when I mention that on my resume and list it on every job posting site I use, I still get agencies that repeatedly send me job reqs out of state. I'm not even looking right now, but still!

Actually, if you have the words "travel", "relocation" on your resume, their bots probably find that and assume it means "yes". Just like mine says, "No significant .NET experience", and I keep getting e-mails about how my resume is a good match for lead .NET dev openings.

Property of The Thread

• GSquared (3/27/2012)

WayneS (3/27/2012)

Is anyone else noticing that The Thread is almost at 35,000 posts? Looks like today could very well be the day. (Expecting Alvin to jump in and get that milestone post again...)

It's a lot of posts, but I've never understood any fascination with "milestone" posts. Number in Hex, Oct, or Bin, and you get a whole different set of milestones, after all.

Or any other "base" numbering system, really. But we have 10 fingers and most of our numbering conventions are centered around 10s. We like to keep track of things and milestones are a way of calling attention to big numbers, whether or not the specific number has any significance. It is a convenient time to say "wow look how long we've been doing this" or whatever the metric is that we're measuring.

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.

• GSquared (3/27/2012)

Stefan Krzywicki (3/27/2012)

It is amazing how, no matter how often I state "I am not interested in travel or relocation", when I mention that on my resume and list it on every job posting site I use, I still get agencies that repeatedly send me job reqs out of state. I'm not even looking right now, but still!

Actually, if you have the words "travel", "relocation" on your resume, their bots probably find that and assume it means "yes". Just like mine says, "No significant .NET experience", and I keep getting e-mails about how my resume is a good match for lead .NET dev openings.

i'll second that, i keep getting roles for Dynamics AX development, when my CV/resume says backend SQL configuring and tuning of Dynamics AX, gets quite annoying

GSquared (3/27/2012)

WayneS (3/27/2012)

Or any other "base" numbering system, really. But we have 10 fingers and most of our numbering conventions are centered around 10s. We like to keep track of things and milestones are a way of calling attention to big numbers, whether or not the specific number has any significance. It is a convenient time to say "wow look how long we've been doing this" or whatever the metric is that we're measuring.

Used to know a carpenter who'd lost a finger in a table-saw incident, and who jokingly claimed he was being discriminated against becuase of how "dectocentric" our society is.

Property of The Thread

It is a convenient time to say "wow look how long we've been doing this" or whatever the metric is that we're measuring.

First post:

Posted 11/18/2008 8:31 AM

By my count?

4 3 years, 4 months, 9 days, 2 hours and approximately 20 minutes as of now (when I post).

Except I can't add today.

• GSquared (3/27/2012)

GSquared (3/27/2012)

WayneS (3/27/2012)

Used to know a carpenter who'd lost a finger in a table-saw incident, and who jokingly claimed he was being discriminated against becuase of how "dectocentric" our society is.

It'd be great if he had a set of base 9 tools.

Have you seen the new tech they have that stops a saw blade if your finger or hand or other part gets in the way?

• Brandie Tarvin (3/27/2012)

It is a convenient time to say "wow look how long we've been doing this" or whatever the metric is that we're measuring.

First post:

Posted 11/18/2008 8:31 AM

By my count?

4 3 years, 4 months, 9 days, 2 hours and approximately 20 minutes as of now (when I post).

Except I can't add today.

Funny, I'd have expected subtraction to be more useful in that calculation. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 34,981 through 34,995 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply