Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Stefan Krzywicki (3/27/2012)

Brandie Tarvin (3/27/2012)

...Except I can't add today.

Funny, I'd have expected subtraction to be more useful in that calculation. πŸ™‚

Thank you for proving my point. @=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• GSquared (3/27/2012)

Stefan Krzywicki (3/27/2012)

It is amazing how, no matter how often I state "I am not interested in travel or relocation", when I mention that on my resume and list it on every job posting site I use, I still get agencies that repeatedly send me job reqs out of state. I'm not even looking right now, but still!

Actually, if you have the words "travel", "relocation" on your resume, their bots probably find that and assume it means "yes". Just like mine says, "No significant .NET experience", and I keep getting e-mails about how my resume is a good match for lead .NET dev openings.

My resume includes Oracle from working at Honeywell, also mentions DBA due to SQL Server. I get emails/calls for Senior Oracle DBA positions. How does 1 year of Oracle development and 14+ years of SQL Server DBA/Developer experience qualify me as a Senior Oracle DBA?

• Lynn Pettis (3/27/2012)

GSquared (3/27/2012)

It is amazing how, no matter how often I state "I am not interested in travel or relocation", when I mention that on my resume and list it on every job posting site I use, I still get agencies that repeatedly send me job reqs out of state. I'm not even looking right now, but still!

Actually, if you have the words "travel", "relocation" on your resume, their bots probably find that and assume it means "yes". Just like mine says, "No significant .NET experience", and I keep getting e-mails about how my resume is a good match for lead .NET dev openings.

My resume includes Oracle from working at Honeywell, also mentions DBA due to SQL Server. I get emails/calls for Senior Oracle DBA positions. How does 1 year of Oracle development and 14+ years of SQL Server DBA/Developer experience qualify me as a Senior Oracle DBA?

Yeah, I get a lot of Oracle DBA/developer emails too because I've imported data from Oracle. I can get data from Oracle, but I'd rather not have to touch it, ever.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Brandie Tarvin (3/27/2012)

No milestone for him. ME ME. GIMMIE!

POST!!!

πŸ˜€

No πŸ˜€

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• Brandie Tarvin (3/27/2012)

POST!!!

πŸ˜€

And No πŸ˜€

Anon.

• David Burrows (3/27/2012)

POST!!!

πŸ˜€

And No πŸ˜€

And the gentleman from the UK WINS!

David Burrows (3/27/2012)

POST!!!

πŸ˜€

And No πŸ˜€

That's the best part about milestone posts, they're always so edifying.

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.

POST!!!

πŸ˜€

And No πŸ˜€

Bit of a cheat really as I was only lurking when I saw Brandie's post :hehe:

Sorry Brandie for stealing your thunder. Feel a little guilty now :blush:

Anon.

• Stefan Krzywicki (3/27/2012)

GSquared (3/27/2012)

GSquared (3/27/2012)

WayneS (3/27/2012)

Is anyone else noticing that The Thread is almost at 35,000 posts? Looks like today could very well be the day. (Expecting Alvin to jump in and get that milestone post again...)

It's a lot of posts, but I've never understood any fascination with "milestone" posts. Number in Hex, Oct, or Bin, and you get a whole different set of milestones, after all.

Or any other "base" numbering system, really. But we have 10 fingers and most of our numbering conventions are centered around 10s. We like to keep track of things and milestones are a way of calling attention to big numbers, whether or not the specific number has any significance. It is a convenient time to say "wow look how long we've been doing this" or whatever the metric is that we're measuring.

Used to know a carpenter who'd lost a finger in a table-saw incident, and who jokingly claimed he was being discriminated against becuase of how "dectocentric" our society is.

It'd be great if he had a set of base 9 tools.

Have you seen the new tech they have that stops a saw blade if your finger or hand or other part gets in the way?

wonder who tested that one first

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• David Burrows (3/27/2012)

Lynn Pettis (3/27/2012)

POST!!!

πŸ˜€

And No πŸ˜€

Bit of a cheat really as I was only lurking when I saw Brandie's post :hehe:

Sorry Brandie for stealing your thunder. Feel a little guilty now :blush:

Don't, it just makes her more of a tortured soul, which will help her writing...all artists must suffer...

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• jcrawf02 (3/27/2012)

GSquared (3/27/2012)

GSquared (3/27/2012)

WayneS (3/27/2012)

Is anyone else noticing that The Thread is almost at 35,000 posts? Looks like today could very well be the day. (Expecting Alvin to jump in and get that milestone post again...)

It's a lot of posts, but I've never understood any fascination with "milestone" posts. Number in Hex, Oct, or Bin, and you get a whole different set of milestones, after all.

Or any other "base" numbering system, really. But we have 10 fingers and most of our numbering conventions are centered around 10s. We like to keep track of things and milestones are a way of calling attention to big numbers, whether or not the specific number has any significance. It is a convenient time to say "wow look how long we've been doing this" or whatever the metric is that we're measuring.

Used to know a carpenter who'd lost a finger in a table-saw incident, and who jokingly claimed he was being discriminated against becuase of how "dectocentric" our society is.

It'd be great if he had a set of base 9 tools.

Have you seen the new tech they have that stops a saw blade if your finger or hand or other part gets in the way?

wonder who tested that one first

In their demos, they use a hot dog.

• I'm having a SSRS Performance Issue with various browsers - any help appreciated in getting to the bottom of this and getting it resolved.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• GilaMonster (3/27/2012)

Is it just me, or does a term like 'That can be done, but people usually learn better' rankle when applied to something you've said?

Feels a little condescending.

I've said "That can be done, but..." many times so just checking... it wasn't me in one of my coffee depraved states, was it?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

GSquared (3/27/2012)

I worked with Oracle for 3 years. I've struck it from my resume 'cause I'd prefer to not ever have to work with it ever again. πŸ˜›

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Stefan Krzywicki

The company is call SawStop. The technology is totally cool and their saws are actually incredibly well made. They actually petitioned the US government that all saws manufactured or sold in the US should have some sort of similar safety mechanism. Talk about a lawyer getting greedy. While I do think the technology is cool I find it very distasteful that they would actually consider making it a law that basically assures them a monopoly on the safety mechanisms.

I know one person who actually managed to test out one of these saws on accident. He stumbled and put his hand on the table to catch his fall, right on the blade. He had a fairly big scratch that did not even require stitches. If he had fallen on my table saw he would have lost half of his hand.

I guess you can tell I am a woodworker...I have been drooling over getting one of their cabinet saws for several years. Unfortunately my wife has yet to concede to the high price tag. Oh well I will keep pushing...and hopefully with all 10 fingers still attached. πŸ˜‰

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

Viewing 15 posts - 34,996 through 35,010 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply