Are the posted questions getting worse?

• SQLRNNR (3/28/2012)

David Burrows (3/28/2012)

SQLRNNR (3/27/2012)

When did we start doing milestones for the 5k posts? I thought it was 10k.

A milestone is a milestone is a milestone, don't be so damn picky 😛

I only did it because Brandie mentioned it 🙂

pssst! btw, don't tell anyone but Brandie wants the 40k 😉

Brandie wants all of them.

MINE! ALL MINE!

Get your own stones. The miles, they belong to me! Bwahahahahaha. With these stones, I shall rule the world! ... Well, okay. I shall rule whatever countries still use miles and the imperial system.

MINE!

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Revenant (3/28/2012)

Evil Kraig F (3/28/2012)

. . .

While we're at it, how the heck did England and America end up with two definitions of a ton? . . .

The British did it so they can say "Mine is bigger than yours!"

Size matters not!

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Any ideas about this one?

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1274963-2799-1.aspx

SQL Agent service won't start after upgrade from 2008 to 2008R2.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Koen Verbeeck (3/29/2012)

Any ideas about this one?

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1274963-2799-1.aspx

SQL Agent service won't start after upgrade from 2008 to 2008R2.

Mine's a shot in the dark, but it's still a possibility.

• Koen Verbeeck (3/28/2012)

herladygeekedness (3/28/2012)

Bad mgmt has an effect. The ends supported the means.

Sometimes, it IS personal and the only way to get the job done is going the long way around.

been there.

Sometimes the quote button is very useful, because I'm pretty sure this isn't about Craig's foul attack on the metric system 🙂

weird out of left field statement. I think I'd not had coffee.

Yep, you are correct. I neglected to completely survey the UI before taking action. Not the first I've made that mistake on this forum.

Tracks to the boss who argued everything. Not worth going backwards to line it up. :hehe:

• Just spent time in a meeting being reminded that people using the same terms do not always mean the same thing. Interesting effect that has on a project.

I can't really talk about the discussion, but here's a database metaphor as an example: "A" and "a" really aren't the same thing.

<headdesk>

• Brandie Tarvin (3/29/2012)

Size matters not!

You won't say that when management (ie sales) tells you that they're selling your system on the basis that the customer can use a 1Gbyte pen drive to hold your terabyte database (including log files and tempdb) and senior management (ie accounts) backs them up (back up in the other sense is something you can't do, because the customer has been told he only needs an extra 256k of storage for resilience to drive failures). 😀

Tom

Just spent time in a meeting being reminded that people using the same terms do not always mean the same thing. Interesting effect that has on a project.

I can't really talk about the discussion, but here's a database metaphor as an example: "A" and "a" really aren't the same thing.

<headdesk>

On my SQL server, they are pretty much the same.

But on DB2 on an AS400, not so much.

There though, UPPER('a') = 'A'.

The same, but different.

• Greg Edwards-268690 (3/29/2012)

But on DB2 on an AS400, not so much.

There though, UPPER('a') = 'A'.

The same, but different.

The same, but different indeed:

SELECT

ASCII(T.c)

FROM

(

SELECT 'A' COLLATE Latin1_General_CI_AI

UNION

SELECT 'a' COLLATE Latin1_General_CI_AI

) AS T (c)

OPTION (MERGE UNION);

65 or 97?

Just spent time in a meeting being reminded that people using the same terms do not always mean the same thing. Interesting effect that has on a project.

I know exactly what you mean! In the transportation world, the same term may have multiple meanings, and different terms may have the same meaning. Also, emphasis has an important impact on meaning.

"I didn't say he stole the money."

Say the above sentence several times, each time putting emphasis on a different word.

(Dunno how this is related to questions being posted to the forums...)

• MysteryJimbo (3/29/2012)

Revenant (3/28/2012)

Evil Kraig F (3/28/2012)

. . .

While we're at it, how the heck did England and America end up with two definitions of a ton? . . .

The British did it so they can say "Mine is bigger than yours!"

Being British, you'll probably find it was the other way round since the word ton has been in use for hundreds of years.

No, it can't have been the other way round, not even a Texan would ever claim the US gallon is bigger. 🙂

If you changed that "can" to "could" though .....well, a certain popular stereotype of Americans suggests that a blonde female southerner trying to invent a bigger gallon might have subtracted instead of adding to make it bigger. 😛

Fun related question: 1 Imperial fluid ounce weighs one ounce, so we can guess why it is called a fluid ounce. But why on earth is an American fluid ounce (which weighs 1.040842731 ounces) called a fluid ounce? :hehe:

And, just to be historically accurate, the imperial gallon definition as 160 (imperial) fluid ounces of water (a compromise between the exchequer galleon used to meausre and tax ales and spirits and the corn gallon used as dry measure, this replaced both these and several other gallons that were current in Britain util then) dates from 1840, which is some time after the American gallon became fixed at 231 cubic inches (1807, I think), so on the dates would allow Revenant's suggestion to be correct. The US gallon is in fact the Queen Anne liquid gallon adopted at thetime of the parliamentary Union of England and Scotland (which previously used different gallon measures).

Tom

• ACinKC (3/29/2012)

Brandie Tarvin (3/29/2012)

I know exactly what you mean! In the transportation world, the same term may have multiple meanings, and different terms may have the same meaning. Also, emphasis has an important impact on meaning.

Say the above sentence several times, each time putting emphasis on a different word.

While we sometimes meander back on topic, this thread has become the "anything goes school of SQL / non-SQL arts." @=)

ACinKC (3/29/2012)

While we sometimes meander back on topic, this thread has become the "anything goes school of SQL / non-SQL arts." @=)

Most of the denizens of The Thread affectionately call this the water cooler.

• Greg Edwards-268690 (3/29/2012)

<headdesk>

That's part of my point. Case insensitivity doesn't mean that a=A. It means that SQL ignores the difference between the two.

If someone says "a" in a conversation, did I really hear "a"? Or did I hear "A"? Or maybe even I heard "eh". Even taking into account the tonal differences and emphasis people put on a word or a letter, I still can hear something different from what they are thinking they mean when the say it.

Embarrassing example: When I was at a Junior High dance, my fellow students started chanting to the cover band, calling for a specific type of music. I didn't listen to music, so I what I heard was "oreo." Could not figure out what cookies had to do with the school dance, but whatever. Turns out they wanted to hear "REO" covers (as in "REO Speedwagon").

Well, today, I find out that A <> a and what I thought I agreed to in yesterday's meeting was not at all what other people agreed to.

<headdesk>

I did a 7 year sentence at a museum where the only way I could be sure we were talking about the same thing was to draw pictures and then still have them log in and show me what they meant.

Very visual crowd. If they couldn't see it, it didn't exist. Which also led to "build it and then I'll tell you if that's what I want...." Just the term *requirements* would freak them out. Fine, how about "needs"? equally scary. I try to stay away from "what the **** do you want?!?"

All the while, they had to be sure to tell me how little they understood computers, their software, etc., when all I really needed was for them to know how to do their jobs. Just show me what you do and what's missing/wrong/whatever with it, I can go from there.

Coming from a finance company, Collections and Development were not the departments most IT folks might think they were. And likely most techies don't get to see a baby dinosaur in its egg on their first day on the job, either.

Mixed bag that gig was. Challenging in ways I had not previously been challenged.

and many MANY meetings to discuss what we met about last time and to define terms. repeatedly.

I do not miss that frustrating cycle of unproductivity. Enjoyed every last penny of severance.

Viewing 15 posts - 35,056 through 35,070 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply