Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Perfect. Thanks.

Can I use that pic in the article I'm busy with (with credit)?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (4/18/2009)

Perfect. Thanks.

Can I use that pic in the article I'm busy with (with credit)?

Sure!

• I have a short question depending on the article I intend to write (CLR solutions to split strings).

What do you like more C# or VB.Net? It doesn't matter for me but I would like to write the functions good to read for the most people.

Thanks!

Flo

• GilaMonster (4/18/2009)

Anyone got SQL 2000? More specifically Query Analyser?

If so, can you please get me a screen shot of the following.

Run the following:

SET STATISTICS PROFILE ON

GO

SELECT * FROM sysobjects

There will be two result sets returned. I need a screen shot that shows copying the second grid (the one with the execution plan).

In management studio that's done by clicking the top-left corner of the grid then right-clicking and selecting copy (as attached image shows). I can't remember what the equivalent is in Query Analyser. I don't have it installed (and SQL 2000 won't install on Vista AFAIK) and I haven't used QA in around 3 years.

Hi Gail,

As you probably remember, QA won't copy the column names from the grid. I'll typically use the Text output with tabs turned on so I can copy and paste the results into a spreadsheet. If you don't need the column names, lemme know what size and format you need the graphic to be and I'll send you one that exact size.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Florian Reischl (4/18/2009)

I have a short question depending on the article I intend to write (CLR solutions to split strings).

What do you like more C# or VB.Net? It doesn't matter for me but I would like to write the functions good to read for the most people.

Thanks!

Flo

Heh... some wise man once said, given a choice, the answer should be "Both". 😛

Personally, it don't believe it will matter so long as you stick to one or the other. For example, even though I can't write a lick of code in Cobol, I've been known to successfully troubleshoot logic problems in it. People should be able to read what either C or VB does and get the gist of it.

RegEx would certainly be a different story.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

What do you like more C# or VB.Net?

[font="Verdana"]For me personally I prefer C#. But you will probably find there's a bigger audience for VB. Really, either is fine. You could always present the solutions in one and supply the code for the other? Depends on how much code you're developing I guess.

Yay for the article! Looking forward to it. 😀

I also enjoyed reading Phil Factor's article on CLR RegEx. A little scary that you can basically hang SQL Server with it though.

[/font]

I have a short question depending on the article I intend to write (CLR solutions to split strings).

Thanks!

Flo

I prefer VB.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Hi

So with a representative feedback of three votes 🙂 with the following results "Do both but doesn't matter", "I like C#" and "I like VB" I think I will provide both ways.

Thanks!

Flo

• Hi Bruce

Bruce W Cassidy (4/19/2009)

I already started. Since now I didn't know which .Net language to take... 😛

I also enjoyed reading Phil Factor's article on CLR RegEx. A little scary that you can basically hang SQL Server with it though.

What do you mean? For debugging?

Greets

Flo

• Florian Reischl (4/19/2009)

Bruce W Cassidy (4/19/2009)

What do you mean? For debugging?

[font="Verdana"]Hey Flo 😀

From the comments against Phil's article, I believe it's possible to build regular expressions that basically expand recursively, and if you call one from within SQL Server, it will hang the entire SQL Server process.

Now I know that Microsoft did a lot of work to isolate the CLR from SQL Server itself, so it might not be that bad. It might only be hanging the individual process.

But I'd like to see some sort of "yes, it's safe, I've tested it and it's okay" on that one.

[/font]

• Bruce W Cassidy (4/19/2009)

From the comments against Phil's article, I believe it's possible to build regular expressions that basically expand recursively, and if you call one from within SQL Server, it will hang the entire SQL Server process.

... becomes a little bit confusing to speak about the almost same thing in two different threads...

Isn't this also possible with an infinite TSQL loop (I know, we don't do loops...) which allocates memory?

• Bruce W Cassidy (4/19/2009)

Florian Reischl (4/18/2009)

What do you like more C# or VB.Net?

[font="Verdana"]For me personally I prefer C#. But you will probably find there's a bigger audience for VB. Really, either is fine. You could always present the solutions in one and supply the code for the other? Depends on how much code you're developing I guess.

[/font]

I'm not entirely sure about that. C# seems to the be easier one to hire for according to my company's HR department.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Florian Reischl (4/19/2009)

Isn't this also possible with an infinite TSQL loop (I know, we don't do loops...) which allocates memory?

[font="Verdana"]May well be.

My concern with the RegEx stuff is the temptation to put the regular expression strings into a table, which in turn opens a potential vector for DoS attacks.

[/font]

Well Flo,

I personally much prefer C#. I did a lot of VB 4,5,6 (yes I know...) and I just barfed at the shift to VB.NET. For that much of a change, I might as well go the whole nine yards, I thought.

Life can be cruel though.

I now write a bit of C# CLR at a popular auction site whose entire code-base is VB.NET. Sigh.

Looking forward to the finished, er, article.

Paul

edit: yards not years...interesting typo

• VB every time - it's much more readable especially if you aren't into the C family of languages.

Viewing 15 posts - 3,571 through 3,585 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply